2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What make was your last vehicle before you switched to a Defender?
Jeep
14.29%
Ford
11.90%
BMW
17.86%
Volkswagen
5.95%
Range Rover
3.57%
Mitsubishi
1.19%
Nissan
2.38%
Toyota
22.62%
Isuzu
0%
Land Rover
20.24%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

What did you convert from to buy a 2020 Defender?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 12:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

We almost became one the early-ish adopters to leave coming from a Jeep…have a 22 110 SE (bought July 21). 3 months in the rear air shock broke through the vehicle and wasn’t drivable. It took a month and threat of lemon law recall (our right) to get fixed. This was during the peak of Covid and parts shortages so we understood but a rental would have been nice (maybe would have been possible had they not sold them all off).

That said, we love the defender and kept it. No other issues other then the windshield being replaced. It’s a keeper.

Originally Posted by PaulLR
That is surprising. Although a few "early adopters" of the all new Defender that came from a Lexus didn't last too long. They sold their Defenders to Carmax once the first problem appeared. Those of us coming from a previous LR model view "reliability woes" as something normal and expected with owning a British vehicle. Thankfully my experience so far is that the Slovakian workers and robots that build the Defender are doing a better job than the British workers that built the LR4.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:15 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice looking bulldog too! Matches the Defender!

Old 02-10-2023, 01:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Two weeks left on this poll! Calling all Defender owners to list the manufacturer of the vehicle you owned prior to buying your 2020 Defender.
From the 75 owners that have posted, it's not surprising to see that less than one in five were already from the Land Rover/Range Rover family - probably from an earlier Defender model or a Discovery 3/4 or Range Rover Sport or Velar perhaps? You are the true tragics of the LR brand - serial owners despite suffering issues with previous vehicles. It's a love affair that could be compared to 'Stockholm Syndrome', but as Lord Tennyson said "It's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all."

Toyota (includes Lexus) leads the poll, followed by BMW and Jeep, which I find very interesting, because the appeal of this vehicle seems to be split between luxury SUV and capable 4WD.

Give us your comments on this thread, what motivated you to buy this vehicle and now that you are part of the Land Rover family, what do you love about it?

Old 02-10-2023, 04:51 AM
Winching
Received 273 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
Not a convert but an add on….
Nice collection of vehicles you have there

The following 2 users liked this post by lightning:
sblvro (02-10-2023), Scandinavian outdoor (06-12-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 07:27 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

thanks!

Old 02-10-2023, 09:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Came from a Volvo V90CC, which was a fantastic wagon, but I needed to tow and venture a bit further off road than the wagon could handle. Miss the mileage and car like handling, but the Defender has surprised me and even won over the wife with its long distance comfort. Never thought I’d get an suv, and don’t really find off roading very interesting as an activity, but I do want to get to out of the way campsites with our small trailer, and the Defender does the trick. Wish it got better mpg towing though. Don’t feel I’m helping the climate much driving this beast.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 403 Likes on 202 Posts

Well, I kind of always had a Defender/Series Land Rover or Range Rover. So it was a logical progression. What made it easy was the irrational amount that the buyer paid for my 97 Defender ST, it equaled what I paid for the the Defender 90X. It always amazed my wife what people would pay for my old ones, considering she absolutely loathed them. She was defiantly shaking her head on the last one. What has me puzzled is how many people that have the new ones are utterly dependent on the dealers to fix them. For so many years, there were no dealers to fix Land Rovers. Then they abruptly emerged back on the market with dealers popping up everywhere. It was just part of the community that if you had one, you fixed it yourself, or helped somebody fix it. On the plus side the earlier ones were blazingly simple to work on, you just needed a complete set of hammers and, oh yeah; a set of Whetworth wrenches. Only the English would maintain an even more obscure fastener sizing. I just wish they had not painted the calipers bright red on the 90X. It is really embarrassing when I take it to a mine site. Lots of eye rolling going on.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Pretty much the same for all new cars. My old Alfa was a four banger with twin webers and a stick. Was like maintaining a go kart. Those days are long gone, and longer warranties make it easier to just rely on warranty repairs for anything that goes wrong.

Old 06-01-2023, 09:22 AM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

We got our first Defender (‘22) in Sept of 2021, previous owner had it for 4 months only. We had owned 5 MB vehicles by then (ML550, E350 Cabrio, E350 sedan, GLS450 x2) and I was waiting on a brand new GLE450 I ordered a few months before when I found that one for my wife. Traded her sedan and we immediately fell in love with her vehicle.

When my GLE450 arrived and started having so many QC issues, after 1 year of owning it my wife said “it’s time to get rid of this lemon” and I searched for the perfect one until I found a slightly used ‘22 Defender V8.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 08:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 234 Likes on 110 Posts

Tesla cybertruck as I didn't want to wait for it.

Quick Reply: What did you convert from to buy a 2020 Defender?