Sponsored by:

Wheel Arch protection Q

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 08:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Wheel Arch protection Q

Hi all--
Been playing with the building configurator online (USA) and am a bit confused about the wheel arch protection. If you get a base 110, the arches come in a matte black finish to match the car, correct? If you get the X-Dynamic do the arches come in glossy black to match the lower glossy black trim?

I've been searching online and see matte black lower trim with matte black wheel arches, and glossy black trim with glossy black wheel arches--I'm just not sure how you configure it that way without adding the packages...

Also... I assume there is no way to add leather to the base SE? They way I have it built, adding leather essentially adds $10k to the cost...

Thx

Old 01-24-2021, 08:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

It’s been asked a thousand times. There’s no OEM option for glossy wheel arches. The photographs you have seen are the matte wheel arches painted by a body shop. This is either done by the dealer or are done by the owner on his own.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:21 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by SmokinV10
It’s been asked a thousand times. There’s no OEM option for glossy wheel arches. The photographs you have seen are the matte wheel arches painted by a body shop. This is either done by the dealer or are done by the owner on his own.
Gotcha, thanks! That explains the pictures I've been seeing...

Next q: Wondering if anyone in US had the UK wheel arches installed to get rid of the amber reflectors?

https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/...c-genuine.html

https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/...t-genuine.html

Old 01-24-2021, 02:50 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

The reflectors contain side marker lamps, which are mandatory in the US. There are no side marker lamps otherwise in the Defender (because of the way tail and headlamps are designed.) Switching to the Euro version of those arches means you'll have to tuck those 4 lamps away, and also risk a "fix it" ticket if an overzealous cop notices you have no side markers on your Defender.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by umbertob
The reflectors contain side marker lamps, which are mandatory in the US. There are no side marker lamps otherwise in the Defender (because of the way tail and headlamps are designed.) Switching to the Euro version of those arches means you'll have to tuck those 4 lamps away, and also risk a "fix it" ticket if an overzealous cop notices you have no side markers on your Defender.
Got it... It's not just a reflector then. I hate the amber US DOT requirements... Almost as much as I hate US -spec side mirrors. Why is my depth perspective a different ratio on the drivers and passenger side mirrors? So stupid. On my BMWs, I always order replacement mirror lenses from a UK dealer so I can have the European aspherical mirrors.... Need to see if this is the case for EU-based Defenders...

Anyone with an EU spec D110? Do the side mirrors have these dotted lines on them and curve out for blind spots?