2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where buy Castrol Edge Professional in the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 09:37 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

If they sell it to you, great. Here in my neck of the woods, most dealers won't. Maybe if you bring them empty bottles they might (I never asked them, they just told me it's not for sale to the public), but that's also a PITA. The larger volume dealers get the oil in 55-gal drums.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:16 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
If they sell it to you, great. Here in my neck of the woods, most dealers won't. Maybe if you bring them empty bottles they might (I never asked them, they just told me it's not for sale to the public), but that's also a PITA. The larger volume dealers get the oil in 55-gal drums.
i called my local San Diego dealership and the guy said they sell them in 1qt. I will swing by on wed to see.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:41 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Cool. Keep us posted. Here in Pasadena, no go with the local dealer.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by BaconL
Ok got more info from Castrol. Apparently the 5 qt from Amazon is diff from 1 qt from Walmart. Below is what I got from them today.The product you purchased as below, Castrol EDGE 0W-20 U.S., is a different oil than Castrol EDGE 0W-20 EC.

Castrol EDGE 0W-20 U.S. does not meet the STJLR.03.5006 oil specification therefore this oil would NOT be recommended for use in your 2021 Land Rover Defender vehicle.

Please note that Castrol EDGE 0W-20 EC is only available for purchase in a 1 quart size bottle at this time.

If you are unable to find Castrol EDGE 0W-20 EC via your local retail space, please contact your local Land Rover dealership so to purchase Castrol EDGE Professional EC 0W-20.

Castrol EDGE 0W-20 EC is available for purchase through retailers such as Wal-Mart, Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, O’Reilly Auto Parts, Pep Boys, NAPA Auto Parts and by select quick lubes, dealerships and auto service centers around the country as well as online via www.walmart.com and www.amazon.com.

The availability of specific Castrol products are dependent on the location and purchasing options in your area. The above-mentioned national retailers who carry Castrol products order their products from their distribution warehouse, who in turn, order the product from us. Generally, retailers base the product line that they sell heavily upon consumer demand therefore we are unable to advise you of a specific retail location that carries a specific Castrol product so we suggest that you call the retail location directly to inquire about specific product availability for that store or for any other area store location.
Correct, they are not the same. The Castrol website contains spec. sheets for all their products and the JLR, Volvo, and Audi versions are each slightly different and all have better characteristics than what is available in retail stores. If you desire to not change oil often, you should stick to a JLR, Volvo or Audi version and avoid what is available at retail. Or buy the Mobil 1 which meets the JLR spec referred to earlier in this chain.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:21 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Got 10 of these from my local dealer just now. Carlsbad Land Rover

Old 04-12-2021, 11:22 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
God forgive me for answering an oil thread, but here's my thought.

My career (after putting myself through college as an auto tech) is writing repair manuals/providing technical service data. I've written for almost all major aftermarket suppliers of such things. When I was with Chilton (a large part of my career) I was an early adopter of extended oil changes after seeing oil analysis data and some relatively impressive things on an SCCA BMW race car with which I was connected.

Skip ahead a few decades, I've been using 10k oil change intervals and high quality synthetics (mostly M1, but other brands as necessary with various certification ratings) on every water-cooled motor I own (I go 5-6k based on OEM recommendations on the air-cooled motorcycles, but that's another story).

Anyway, I'm a little aghast at the 21k figure. Not that I don't believe it, but old habits are hard to die. Though I have seen oil analysis come back after say 17k even on plain old M1 back in the day and it was fine. Hell I remember our Mini Cooper S used to go a long way (maybe 15k on it's computer monitored changes). So I will likely let this first fill go that long. If I change to anything else, I'll likely simplify and go 10k (and if I had to change it tomorrow I'd likely go M1 because of my long-standing use of the stuff in some extreme conditions).

YMMV - and I should say that most of our vehicles do not lead harsh lives. I might be tempted to go sooner if I lived in a desert or a tundra 24/7, but I don't.

So that was a long winded way to say that I think you'll be fine (with room to spare) should you decide to go 10k and other than the exact OEM fluids.
Yes, you are worthy. Buy another Defender like we did so you can both enjoy the ride.

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (04-12-2021)