2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's taken their Defender to Moab?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 07:40 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Who's taken their Defender to Moab?

Anyone taken their new Defender to Moab yet?
Which trails?
Thoughts?
Photos?

Old 06-15-2021, 10:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,356 Likes on 667 Posts

I’ll be doing so this fall, assuming mine arrives in July as expected.

I have done a large number (38 at last count) of trails in the area, most multiple times. I expect to run the 110 on things like Hidden Canyon Overlook, Chicken Corners, Elephant Hill. Trails up to but not including Poison Spider Mesa. I don’t like the idea of the initial climb on PSM nor the big waterfall.

The following users liked this post:
MrBreeze (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 11:00 AM
Mudding

I've lost count as to the number of trails - but all were done in a trailer queen - a well-armored JKU with 1-ton axles, long arms & coil overs, riding on 40's.
Not sure I'll have the same willingness to take on more than the tamest of trails with a new $90k Defender (even if it is capable)
Hopefully, as more Defenders hit the ground here, we'll have more posting up pics and their experiences in Moab.

GrouseK9 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 12:07 PM
Pro Wrench

^^ . I know the number because in the early years I would faithfully mark them in the Wells book every time I got back to town, as well as detailed trail notes. Sounds like you have a killer rig. My JK rides on 44s front and rear (G2, not stock) and 37s, with long-arm. I have no pretensions that the stock LR will equal it, nor any intention of trying to modify it in that direction.

MrBreeze (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 01:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

I was there on my D90 last week. First time in the area so wanted to check the national parks with the family, and in doing so go off the beaten path as much as possible. With that in mind we did a day trip to Canyonlands on the White Rim road: entered on Shafer, went down the canyon and into the permit area on White Rim and drove to Lathrop canyon where we took the trail down to the river then back to Potash Rd out to Moab (we actually passed a fellow new Defender, 110 from North Carolina, on Potash Rd). Nice trail nothing technical or difficult (the climb back up Lathrop trail seemed steep, but negotiated it with little effort). We also tried to get into Arches from the back entrance (Salt Valley Road): up Klondike Bluffs trail and then connect with Baby Steps down into Salt Valley Road. The Klondike Bluffs part was moderate with a few more technical spots, then the baby steps part is really short but much more technical and just when we thought we were pretty much down into Salt Valley (and felt pretty smart about beating the lines at Arches’ main entrance and having fun in the process), the last half mile looked as if a landslide had just happened! We walked it and though it could probably be done, but we were by ourselves and the risk wasn’t worth it, so turned around and went back where we came from (obviously the climb back on baby steps proved to be harder than the way down, but lots of fun!). Couple pics from the second trail, will upload from the White Rim trip when I manage to get to those.

Last edited by Juancl; 06-15-2021 at 01:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Juancl:
GavinC (06-20-2021), majl (06-16-2021), MrBreeze (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 04:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Nice! I’ve left Arches via Salt Valley Road and made my way out to 191 before, but I’ve never come into the park that way because I can never remember the route from 191! But the ways I have gone were trivially easy so you must have been on a different route. They had some steep descents for 25 feet or so, but totally smooth. In fact, I’ve done Salt Valley-to-191 at least three times in an airport rental 4x4, like an Explorer, Grand Cherokee, Blazer.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Nice! I’ve left Arches via Salt Valley Road and made my way out to 191 before, but I’ve never come into the park that way because I can never remember the route from 191! But the ways I have gone were trivially easy so you must have been on a different route. They had some steep descents for 25 feet or so, but totally smooth. In fact, I’ve done Salt Valley-to-191 at least three times in an airport rental 4x4, like an Explorer, Grand Cherokee, Blazer.
This is how I found that trail and the route we intended to follow. Minute 13 on the video is as far as we got, that final part of baby steps looked even worse than how it looks in the video, so that is what we decided to avoid and turned around.... we were so close!

Last edited by Juancl; 06-15-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:49 AM
8th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

Took my 110SE to Moab back in mid-may. ~5500 miles round trip (plus exploring) from Orlando.

We did Chicken Corners, Fins & Things, Hell's Revenge, Potash Rd, and Tower Arch in Arches National Park. To me, Hell's is more famous, but Fins was more fun. Tower Arch Road was also a hidden gem that apparently not a lot of people know about. It's the only way to offroad in the National Park and had some pretty solid crawling and deep sand.

The Defender did really well on everything we attempted. I only did bypasses for Hell's Gate and Escalator since I don't have the seat time or experience to attempt those with an $80K truck that needs to drive me back to FL. All in all, Moab was a really great time and the overall vibe/culture of wheeling out there was pretty cool to experience. I had hardcore jeep guys with serious rigs come up to me and want to talk about the Defender because they thought it was so cool. Steve Burt had Big Bertha out there at the same time but I didn't see him on the trails.

If you want to see pics, I have some on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/everyday_110/

MrBreeze (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 12:32 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Everyday_110
Took my 110SE to Moab back in mid-may. ~5500 miles round trip (plus exploring) from Orlando.

We did Chicken Corners, Fins & Things, Hell's Revenge, Potash Rd, and Tower Arch in Arches National Park. To me, Hell's is more famous, but Fins was more fun. Tower Arch Road was also a hidden gem that apparently not a lot of people know about. It's the only way to offroad in the National Park and had some pretty solid crawling and deep sand.

The Defender did really well on everything we attempted. I only did bypasses for Hell's Gate and Escalator since I don't have the seat time or experience to attempt those with an $80K truck that needs to drive me back to FL. All in all, Moab was a really great time and the overall vibe/culture of wheeling out there was pretty cool to experience. I had hardcore jeep guys with serious rigs come up to me and want to talk about the Defender because they thought it was so cool. Steve Burt had Big Bertha out there at the same time but I didn't see him on the trails.

If you want to see pics, I have some on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/everyday_110/
Awesome! Nice to see pics and vids of the famous slick rock of Moab. (As you discovered, the rock is pretty grippy, but the areas filled with tire rubber are slicker)
Thanks for sharing the insta link.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:06 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Everyday_110

Are the AT tires a must or will I survive with my oem Michelin street tires?

Quick Reply: Who's taken their Defender to Moab?