2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the New Defender Is the Best All-Around SUV for My Family (on/off-road towing)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2024, 08:26 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steedracer
We bought our 130 specifically because of its towing capacity (8,201lbs) and larger cargo area/comfortable 3rd row. It truly can carry eight adults (and we have). Tows our 7,000+ lb wakeboard boat and trailer with ease. We love our 130.
@Steedracer Thanks for the good news! Could you share more details about your 130's configuration and its measured curb weight? I noticed the specs below list a 6,613 lbs maximum towing capacity for the 2025 130.

Old 08-16-2024, 08:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LandRoverCA
Thank you all for the great feedback and suggestions! @CincyRovers @swajames @GavinC @pinion @PaulLR

I appreciate having more options, and both the Discovery 5 and Defender 130 are on my consideration list.

Here are some thoughts I'd like to share:
  • I've tried to quantify their capabilities using the radar chart below.
  • Since the Discovery 5, Defender 110, and Defender 130 share the same platform (D7x/D7u), they should have the same overall score, but with different strengths across three capabilities.
  • The Discovery 5, designed for family, excels in space and on-road use. The Defender 130 addresses the space limitations of the 110.
  • Both two Defenders offer superior off-road capabilities out of the box, which is reflected in their higher scores.
  • The 130 has the lowest towing score, as it has 100-160 lbs less payload on paper compared to the other two, and a much lower 6,613 lbs towing capacity based on the latest JLR specs. And towing isn't just about capacity or GCM; it also involves payload, tongue weight, GAW, and factors like wheelbase and rear overhang, which can quickly become limiting factors. For example, the Discovery 5's shorter wheelbase and longer rear overhang mean that each pound added to the hitch has a greater impact on the rear axle, quickly using up the rear GAW. I also suspect the more premium Discovery 5 is heavier than the Defender 110 when equipped with a tow hitch receiver, rear diff locks, and a twin-speed transfer box, which isn't ideal for towing.
  • @CincyRovers : I'm interested in learning more about your Discovery 5. Is it a P360, and does it come with the Towing and Advanced Off-Road packs? Have you weighed the curb weight to check the available payload?
Considering my needs for the vehicle in the coming years, the scenarios would likely be:
  • Interstate Travel: 4 adults, 2 kids (ages 4 and 8), towing a 7,000+ lbs Lance 2445 travel trailer, with most gear stored in the trailer (it's helpful as every 10 pounds on the trailer only consumes 1 pound of the tow vehicle's payload). After setting up the trailer at the campsite, we'd go on light or moderate off-road trails nearby for sightseeing. The distance between one campsite and the next should not exceed 200 miles.
  • City Driving: Most of the time, only two rows will be used, especially when we need extra space for shopping larger items. When fully seated, the cargo area will primarily be used for groceries.
Towing is the limiting factor for me. Based on my calculations, the Defender 110, though best among the three for towing, would be pushed to its limits when seating 6 people (750 lbs) and towing a 7,000+ lbs trailer. That's why I asked about the curb weight of your Defender 110s for verification.

Choosing the Defender 110 is a compromise: it would just provide us enough towing capacity, but at the cost of some seating comfort.

@GavinC , it's nice to know you handled similar or even more challenging situations well with your 110. I agree - kids can sit anywhere, and the sliding second row helps. When fully seated, we can always use a roof box for extra storage.

I'd opt for 20'' wheels. As always, the more options, the better. One tire upgrade option I found in an interesting video is the 265/60/20, which shares the same sidewall height as 19'' tires and might perform better than the more popular 275/55/20:
Video link

Here’s another video about why narrow tires are best for off-roading if you’re interested:
Video link

@pinion , I'd also choose the Defender 90 for better off-roading and maneuverability if I don't need to carry as many passengers or handle 3/4 ton towing tasks.

@PaulLR , my daughter is indeed tough to satisfy. Congratulations to your daughter - what you did for her was worth it! I've got many years before I reach that moment, and I hope by then we'll have even more capable vehicles to celebrate.

Thanks again, and I look forward to more of your input and experiences.
My Disco 5 was a 2017 HSE Luxury, the first model year. From 2017-2020 they offered two engines, a 3.0 liter supercharged V6 (what I had) and a 3.0 liter turbodiesel V6. Weirdly, the diesel could only tow 7,716 lbs., while the supercharged could tow 8,201 lbs. No, I have never weighed any of my vehicles, as payload capacity doesn't mean anything to me personally. However, IIRC, the Disco 5's payload capacity is also 1900 lbs. I had mine for five years and I put 39k miles on it and it was pretty much flawless. I traded it almost two years ago for a Porsche Macan S. My car was at a dealer out of state and my dealer did a trade to get it to me, so it was already preconfigured. It did have the towing pack, but I never used it. It didn't have the rear diff lock (which at the time was a stand-alone option on 7-seat models, as the Advanced Off-Road Pack didn't come until the facelift for the 21MY), but it did have the two-speed transfer case, as it was standard on all seven passenger cars at the time. I will say, the rear diff lock isn't necessary on the Defender. I have it on mine, but because the Defender's electrical architecture is so much more advanced than the earlier D7 platform cars, the traction control reacts much quicker and the same can be said for the ABS, thanks to the brake-by-wire system. I've been off-roading with Defenders without the diff lock, and they were able to do everything I was able to do, with just a touch more wheelspin. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

This was after I spent an entire morning detailing the Disco. The Aintree Green paint was fantastic.

The Vintage Tan/Ebony interior was also a favorite of mine, especially with the Gloss Charcoal Oak wood trim.

Last edited by CincyRovers; 08-16-2024 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PaulLR (08-17-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 09:44 AM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LandRoverCA
@Steedracer Thanks for the good news! Could you share more details about your 130's configuration and its measured curb weight? I noticed the specs below list a 6,613 lbs maximum towing capacity for the 2025 130.

Very interesting...I think for every year up for the Defender up to 2025, the numbers below have always been the max cargo capacity. Now, on the 2025 model year/LR website, they are stating what you posted earlier. I have no idea why the change, and don't think I've seen that publicized before (same powertrain, chassis, brakes, etc). Specs in our Owners manual support that...max towing capacity is 8,201 lbs.

Old 08-16-2024, 09:51 AM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I now see on the 2025 website that only the 130 is showing that lower towing capacity. I'd feel much more comfortable towing 8,000 lb trailer/cargo with a 130 vs a much shorter 90. I would think that the 130 specs are an error, but I would've thought their editors would've caught that. Interesting. I would hope they haven't reduced it or that will definitely hurt in comparos with Expeditions, Tahoes, Sequoias, and Grand Wagoneers.

Last edited by Steedracer; 08-16-2024 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-16-2024, 01:58 PM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

It is quite possible that the towing capacity reduction for the 130 is directly related to the length of the chassis behind the rear axle. That lever arm put substantially more leverage on the chassis from tongue weight over bumps for example. It would also cause a significant impact to stability with side wind loads too. And of course there is the overall impact of higher weight of the combination and the limits on GCWR. Depending on what combination of these factors (and probably others I am not aware of) are it is easy to see where the 90 would still be within the performance envelope and the 130 would not.

Old 08-16-2024, 07:00 PM
Drifting
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyRovers
Weirdly, the diesel could only tow 7,716 lbs., while the supercharged could tow 8,201 lbs. .
Likely had to do with the diesel engine being heavier.

Old 08-16-2024, 10:39 PM
6th Gear

@CincyRovers Thanks for the details and photos! Your Disco 5 looks better than the current version with its simpler lower front design and more premium interior featuring wood trim instead of piano paint plastic.

I'm glad to hear the Defender outperforms the Disco 5 off-road. How do they compare in other areas?

From what I've seen, real diff locks can help in tougher situations, adding peace of mind and boosting resale value.

@Steedracer @Kazimir Tow capacity is calculated by subtracting GVM from GCM. Diesel models are heavier, so while the GCM remains consistent, their tow capacity is reduced.

Payload capacity is also tricky. Manufacturers calculate it by subtracting the 'base curb weight' from the GCM, but this base curb weight excludes additional optional equipment. This makes advertised payload capacities appear higher than they are in reality. For instance, the Defender 110's max payload is around 1,900 lbs, but adding options like air suspension, off-road packs, towing packs, and bigger wheels can reduce this by 300-400 lbs.

This video below demonstrates a complete case where, although within the towing capacity, the tongue weight limit, payload limit, and rear axle limit were all exceeded after scaling:

The UK website also drops the 2025 Defender 130's tow capacity to 3,000 kg. I highly recommend weighing your 130 and trailer to ensure safety.

I've also researched the full-size SUVs you mentioned. Models like the Tahoe Z71 and Sequoia TRD Pro, with less than 1,400 lbs of actual payload, definitely can't tow over 7,000 lbs when fully seated - far less than their claimed tow capacity.

@pinion I agree about the side wind load issue with the 130. The Defender 90 is also subject to rear overhang leverage due to its shorter wheelbase, but without exact overhang lengths, it's hard to say which is more affected. Overall, the Defender 110 is the best for towing, while the 90 and 130 have their own strengths.

Last edited by LandRoverCA; 08-16-2024 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2024, 08:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

While they may have reduced the towing capacity, there is no doubt in my mind that you can easily and safely pull a trailer exceeding the weight limit. Sure, if something were to go wrong while towing, it probably wouldn't be covered under warranty, but I digress. The reason I'm saying this, is because JLR made a claim how the rear tow hooks can support 3.5x the weight of the car itself. Top Gear magazine proved this - when they named the Defender their car of the year a few years back, they suspended three Defenders on a suspended by the recovery hooks. These cars are over-engineered, and I find it highly unlikely that regularly towing a heavy trailer will cause any structural damage over time.

Old 08-20-2024, 07:17 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CincyRovers
While they may have reduced the towing capacity, there is no doubt in my mind that you can easily and safely pull a trailer exceeding the weight limit. Sure, if something were to go wrong while towing, it probably wouldn't be covered under warranty, but I digress. The reason I'm saying this, is because JLR made a claim how the rear tow hooks can support 3.5x the weight of the car itself. Top Gear magazine proved this - when they named the Defender their car of the year a few years back, they suspended three Defenders on a suspended by the recovery hooks. These cars are over-engineered, and I find it highly unlikely that regularly towing a heavy trailer will cause any structural damage over time.

Thanks for the interesting perspective and photos.

Towing capacity is constrained by GCM (Gross Combined Mass), GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass), GAM (Gross Axle Mass), and tongue weight.

Beyond the vehicle's body structure, GCM, GVM, and GAM also account for the suspension, wheels, and other weight-bearing components, unlike during vehicle recovery. Tongue weight not only contributes to these limits but also affects steering and braking. Excessive rear weight can lift the front wheels, reducing traction and steering control, which compromises safety and handling.

@pinion @Steedracer I noticed that the GCM of the Defender 130 has been reduced to 14,065 lbs, which is even lower than that of the 90, while the GVM remains unchanged. This suggests that the manufacturer may be limiting the weight on the tow hitch, likely due to concerns about the impact on the GAM and tongue weight caused by the long rear overhang.

Last edited by LandRoverCA; 08-20-2024 at 07:42 AM.