2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WI-FI Enabled With Data Plan Expiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 11:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,166 Likes on 626 Posts
Default WI-FI Enabled With Data Plan Expiring / What to do when hotspot / hot spot expires

Well, my Defender is 18 mos old and I guess this subscription was 18 mos. (In service 12/30/20, so 6/30/22 is 18 mos). Who knew?

More importantly who has any idea how to get this re-upped? Do I do it through LR account, LR dealer or some cellular provider ? I bought it slightly used bc my order kept getting cancelled and I got way impatient in 2021 -- so I don't have any info on this.

From the Remote app --

Last edited by nashvegas; 07-05-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:00 AM
Mudding
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts
The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 12:02 PM
Pro Wrench

There's no way to renew it from that link unfortunately (note to Land Rover... um ... BMW connected allows you to renew everything online...)

Interestingly been on the phone w/ LR support this morning. They tried connecting me to AT&T which has no record of the VIN / vehicle / active account under a prior owner. I got in my Defender which says it's connected "T-Mobile" and LR was like "no it has to be AT&T" so I'm back to square one.

Hmm... so my cellphone is via Verizon. I wonder if I can just hook this up to Verizon?

Old 05-27-2022, 01:01 PM
Pro Wrench

Update:

Land Rover = no record of account, talk to cellular provider
AT&T = vehicle not recognized, VIN not in system, Land Rover never registered this vehicle with us
T-Mobile (what the car says it's connected to and mobile data hotspot is working now ... ) = we have no record of this IMEI or sim being active

What a fun experience in 2022. And again the mobile hotspot works great, right now I can go in my car and connect to the internet on my laptop ... all brilliantly working.

I'm wondering since the LR Remote app is the one saying it expires 6/30/22, how do they know this information, they must know... so the dealer will sort it I guess

SO for anyone else who bought a used Defender ... prepare for the pain lol

Last edited by nashvegas; 05-27-2022 at 01:12 PM.
markjlr (05-08-2024)
Old 05-28-2022, 08:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

There was a thread about this before and the end result was that LR didn't have a method to renew so they were apparently just saying f-it, you can keep getting it for free until they sorted it out. Interesting to see if yours just shuts down or not.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:19 PM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

I too have wondered how the data plan/connectivity works, especially when expiration times arrives. There was a video on PowerfulUK’s YouTube channel where he went through the same experience, and showed how to renew it, but my search was fruitless. Apparently, he has take down some of his past vids but if memory serves me correctly, it was done using the InControl app. I will continue searching for the answers that we will all need going forward and post them here if I am successful. Good luck in working it all out,

Old 07-05-2022, 12:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Circling back with current resolution on this - JLR is renewing the data plans on a month to month basis free of charge for customers on the pivi systems with online pack/data plan/in-car wifi hotspot..

The problem is simple. You buy a Defender new or used, it has wifi hotspot with a data plan. The data plan expires after a period of time (I think 18 mos). There is no way to renew this on the 2020+ Defender models (and all other new JLR product with wifi hotspot and Pivi Pro systems). It is not through AT&T, it is not through Verizon, it is not through T-Mobile. It is through Tata Communications. See below ... very bottom, Tata Communications.

I was getting a message in my Land Rover Remote app saying "online pack and data plan" expiring June 30, 2022, then it expired June 30, 2022. Here's what I was seeing in the app below. This date is exactly 18 mos from my Defender's "in service" date so guessing that 18 mos service was what came with the car.

JLR is building a website to renew this, however it's problematic and is not live. So there IS NO CONSUMER WAY to renew the data plan. And I confirmed that mine did, indeed, EXPIRE on June 30, 2022. My in car wifi did not work after June 30th, or over the holiday weekend, until today.

I called Land Rover customer support in June, asked to open a case, and they called me back to say the following: " You are correct that there is no way to renew this. Since the website / functionality does not exist yet due to technical problems, we are renewing your data plan on monthly basis until we have a way to have consumers renew this. Free of charge. Once the site launches your free data plan will expire at the end of that month, and then you will need to go in, pay for it and renew it". -- Notably she did not have the rates / fees that would be.

Last Friday, July 1 (after my expiration) -- internet did not work. Today, it started working. So they did indeed renew it for free. Interestingly, today my app looks like this -- the data plan under subscriptions does not even appear anymore (but it is working, tested on my MacBook with no phone connected to or near the car, without my car connected to any home wifi etc)

The headline is if you do not call to open a case and have them renew it "gratis", your data plan will most likely expire and stop working on the date in your Land Rover app/account -- I told them that they should automatically do it, the rep wasn't sure if that was happening or not.

Royalist (07-21-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 06:54 PM
Drifting
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

And TATA owns JLR. We all own Indian cars.

Old 07-11-2022, 12:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I just noticed this as well. I had recently turned on Alexa in the truck, today alexa responds with "I'm having touble connecting to the Internet" and the weather app stopped working too. So I guess my data plan is turned off. But the truck is still connected to T-Mobile to support my still active nav subscription.

Guess I need to spend some quality time on the phone with JLR reps...

Old 07-12-2022, 07:46 AM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Mine says AT&T (delivered just 2 weeks ago). My rep says expires after 20GB, then I need to contact AT&T, give them my IMEI and register as a hot spot - probably $15/mo. I might just make my phone's hot spot (iPhone) the Defender's internet source, worse case loose the remote crap - which doesn't work half the time any way. With everybody owning cell phones never quite understood all the manufactures advertising their vehicle has a hot spot - so what?

GrouseK9 (07-12-2022)

Quick Reply: WI-FI Enabled With Data Plan Expiring