2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WI-FI Enabled With Data Plan Expiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 08:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I would love to redirect the in truck internet services (weather, Alexa) to use my phone, but don't see how. It seems silly that the truck can still update apps and provide nav services (including internet lookups for information in the search bar) but they can't just turn the data back on.

Called JLR this morning and they were all about (call AT&T) and they start calling ATT with me on hold, then after 15 min the phone disconnected (how convenient).

Old 07-12-2022, 10:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by carlmuck
I would love to redirect the in truck internet services (weather, Alexa) to use my phone, but don't see how. It seems silly that the truck can still update apps and provide nav services (including internet lookups for information in the search bar) but they can't just turn the data back on.

Called JLR this morning and they were all about (call AT&T) and they start calling ATT with me on hold, then after 15 min the phone disconnected (how convenient).
JLR is gonna #@%& this one up as they did with the previous 3G models. I can bet my sandwich on that.
However, it is in a way true that they "ride" on ATT and what you see looks like TATA Communications. TATA in US is a captive MVNO who buys chunks of data from ATT and then sells it to its JLR customers as WiFi. That is just one part of the data they use. The other part of data is for the telematics. You don't really see that, and have no control on it. That expires for us consumers in about 5 years from the date of "in service", of the vehicle.
That worries me the most. By then, the current LTE (4G) networks will also be on a de-growing mode by all the carriers, as 5G will take its place. The modules / units in the JLR are not 5G ready, nor will JLR replace them - it will be another cluster #(&$ waiting to happen. It is going to be called, and out of warranty item.
Currently for WiFi I would buy a Verizon hotspot, or TMO or whomever you like, and use it as WiFi data in the vehicle. Or use your phone as a portable hotspot, if you don't want a "fixed" wifi for the car.
The JLR consumer website, for wifi data purchase was in the "works" for a year now, and I don't think it goes anywhere anytime soon.... but, I may be wrong (it happened once or twice in my life).
On the other hand, at this moment ATT does not even see the VIN as available vehicles for activation on their system.

The following users liked this post:
nashvegas (07-13-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 10:34 AM
Three Wheeling

My vehicle MVNO is showing T-Mobile. Did Tata buy them too???

Old 07-12-2022, 12:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

MVNO = Mobile Virtual Network Operator
TATA is an MVNO in most of the world (except for India probably) and they can resell the data from any carrier, which sells it to them in bulk and cheap, and then slap a tag on it , and call it TATA COMMUNICATIONS.
No, they did not buy TMO. They really don't have that much money.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Yes, quite familiar with what MVNO means.

Back on the phone with JLR this afternoon, first CSR was a moron that told me "you need a new sim, go to your retailer and they can help you." I didn't have the heart to tell him that getting a new SIM for the Defender would be difficult since it is equipped with eSIMs in the US/

Called back 20 minutes later, got a different CSR that put me on the phone with ATT, who (surprise, surprise) couldn't find the VIN in their system. Lots of questions of me about what email address I used to register with the data plan. She couldn't comprehend that I did absolutely nothing when the truck was received. It just worked...until late last week when it didn't.

I'll give them another call and see if a 4th CSR can reenable my data plan until someone figures out how to get a renewal capability online.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@The Insider - Can you PLEASE, PLEASE jump in this thread and help folks out? Seems like EVERY Defender will go thru this issue and there has to be a better way. I haven't found a better forum of Land Rover enthusiasts and this may be the best way to get guidance out to the LR community. Otherwise everyone will continue to flounder. I appreciate any notice of this thread.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:22 AM
Three Wheeling

Had yet another call with Landrover, found a CSR that seemed to have a clue. Told me that "there is a technical issue accessing the data about your vehicle. When that is resolved we'll attempt to reenable data access."

Was also told that she would send me an email with a case # to reference.

I said "Thank you" ... and ... haven't seen an email... it's been 18 hours.

Yeah Land Rover Service!!!!

Old 07-13-2022, 09:26 AM
Winching
Received 611 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@The Insider - Can you PLEASE, PLEASE jump in this thread and help folks out? Seems like EVERY Defender will go thru this issue and there has to be a better way. I haven't found a better forum of Land Rover enthusiasts and this may be the best way to get guidance out to the LR community. Otherwise everyone will continue to flounder. I appreciate any notice of this thread.

Thanks for the universal plea for help. I too, have been wondering about this issue since delivery, and have been following this thread awaiting some burst of enlightenment. After reading an earlier post I investigated my own screen info and discovered that where it had always displayed ‘AT&T’ as the provider of service it now says T-Mobile. Very confusing. Hope JLR sorts this out in the near future.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

My Land Rover idol - Simon - at PowerfulUk put out an awesome video a couple years ago. I think this is required viewing for anyone going thru this topic. In fact, I think everyone at JLR Customer Service should as well! In later videos, you can see that he has implemented the physical e-sim (you'll understand what I mean after watching the e-vid). As a result, he likely doesn't care anymore about the entertainment data plan which ironically expired 10 days ago (he shows his subscription term in the video). He has the same capability as @Mark1107 and has likely already enabled Wifi. Mark!! I just found a reason to catch up with you before the e-Diff in another year<g>. Actually, that'll be about the time mine expires too. Maybe I'll do it all at once.

Now for the unsponsored plug. It's contributions to the community like this that make me do business with PowerfulUk even if I pay more (rarely) or pay the VAT (because it's a PITA for him).

Last edited by GrouseK9; 07-13-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Trauma
Mine says AT&T (delivered just 2 weeks ago). My rep says expires after 20GB, then I need to contact AT&T, give them my IMEI and register as a hot spot - probably $15/mo. I might just make my phone's hot spot (iPhone) the Defender's internet source, worse case loose the remote crap - which doesn't work half the time any way. With everybody owning cell phones never quite understood all the manufactures advertising their vehicle has a hot spot - so what?
Just a heads up what they told you is incorrect and it's what caused my problems too. It's what LR customer service me at first -- your car says AT&T but that is actually NOT your hotspot / wifi. That's the vehicle's connected services. Different eSIM card. I went thru this with LR for awhile. That eSim on my Defender bounces between T-Mobile and AT&T depending upon where I am. At my house it's T-mobile for whatever reason. Down in Lake Oswego, 10 miles away, it's always saying AT&T in the box.

It turns out the older Incontrol Pro cars (usually 2017-2019 or so) used AT&T ... and most dealers/cust svc reps have no idea. They've been saying since 2017 "call AT&T and give them your VIN" but have not been retrained on the 2020+ defender and newer Pivi Wifi hotspots. It's been 2 years now, they need to get their act together big time on this.

Last edited by nashvegas; 07-13-2022 at 11:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nashvegas:
Royalist (07-21-2022), WTFChuck (07-13-2022)

Quick Reply: WI-FI Enabled With Data Plan Expiring