Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WiFi data working for you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 12:14 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WiFi data working for you?

Is your wifi data connection working for you in the US? I can get my iPhone and computer connected to the Defender X WiFi, but no data.

any advice how to check if there is data? It says AT&T is the data provider.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:14 AM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Data plan and Wi-Fi are separate things. The data plan is an option you buy from the factory when you order your vehicle. It includes 1 year of unlimited, all-you-can-eat data. I guess the easiest way to check would be to open the car's own Weather app and see if it you have it and if it works (do you get weather information / forecast displayed for your location or destination), if it does your car should have a data plan. Perhaps someone without a data plan could confirm if that's the case? You can also use the data plan to generate an in-car Wi-Fi hotspot (in the Connectivity settings menu) that your passengers can use to connect devices such as tablets and computers to the internet using the car's own generated Wi-Fi hotspot, instead of your phone's.

The Defender has two modems, one is always active and connected to a local network (such as AT&T) to be able to download SOTA updates issued by the manufacturer, regardless of whether you have a data plan or not. The second modem needs its own SIM card (either a physical one in some markets or a built-in e-SIM in others, such as here in the US), which you order with the optional data plan when you buy the car. My understanding is that it can't be enabled / activated by the dealer after your purchase, it's a factory option only.

Wi-Fi access is the ability of the Defender to connect to a nearby Wi-Fi network, for example your home router when the car is parked in your garage, to check for and quickly download software updates - a faster alternative to the built-in modem. I believe Wi-Fi is a standard feature of every Defender, which you also enable (or disable) in the Connectivity menu.

The following users liked this post:
Magnumforc (04-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 08:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I asked about this before in another thread as well. I get the weather app info if I look for it, the my Land Rover says I have 1 year data plan, I get the connections to wifi and I can hook my mifi up to run the car. I do not see an the option to create or connect to in car hotspot or anything that I can easily recognize as being the car hotspot.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:11 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same issue, I have a 2020 First Edition and I know the in car hotspot option was there last week but it does not show up now. Maybe some issue with the last software update that occurred on Friday for mine vehicle?

Old 02-14-2021, 10:59 AM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

And I assume you have a valid "Online Pack with Data Plan" listed among your InControl services? Have you tried resetting Pivi Pro yet?

Old 02-14-2021, 01:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I confirmed with my US dealer. There is no wifi-hotspot capability on the car without ordering the online pack with data ($300 on the build sheet). Some earlier updates allowed users without the online-data-pack to see the wifi-hot spot option under the connectivity menu but that was a programming glitch and has been corrected by LR. You can still connect to an external wifi, navigation, OTA updates etc. without ordering the data-option but will not have wifi-hotspot capability.

My personal opinion, the wifi-hotspot feature may be obsolete within the next year or so with 5G coming on.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am showing on my InControl app the Online Pack with Data Plan, which is valid one year from when it was activated. In the description is does not list anything about a HotSpot, only that you have unlimited data for updates, streaming, etc. I guess TCole is right is I saw the HotSpot option till LR cleared it up on the last update. I bought the car used so I do not have the original build sheet.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:44 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

We have the Online Pack with Data plan and from what we understand, the one year will then become a $20 per month plan through AT&T if anyone desires to renew it. Also you need to connect your vehicle to the app so you have a registered account: Lots of info here: https://incontrol.landrover.com/jlr-...ner-web/select and also this has much info: https://www.landrover.com/ownership/...ivi/index.html

Old 04-22-2021, 05:12 PM
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am still having this problem. I purchased the Data/Connectivity Pack when I ordered the vehicle and it connects to download software updates, etc just fine but when you connect any device to the hotspot, there is no data whatsoever. I took it to my dealership and they said they could not recreate the problem which makes me think they didn't test it correctly. I contacted Land Rover to their vehicle support and they still couldn't figure it out. I have reset the system by holding the power button...Ive done this over ten times since I bought the vehicle in October but does nothing. I tried to go on to ATT to sign up and it says my VIN is invalid. Anybody have any other thoughts or anything else I can try?

The following 2 users liked this post by Boscher:
Chief65 (04-22-2021), JtKus (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 12:26 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boscher
I am still having this problem. I purchased the Data/Connectivity Pack when I ordered the vehicle and it connects to download software updates, etc just fine but when you connect any device to the hotspot, there is no data whatsoever. I took it to my dealership and they said they could not recreate the problem which makes me think they didn't test it correctly. I contacted Land Rover to their vehicle support and they still couldn't figure it out. I have reset the system by holding the power button...Ive done this over ten times since I bought the vehicle in October but does nothing. I tried to go on to ATT to sign up and it says my VIN is invalid. Anybody have any other thoughts or anything else I can try?
I am having this exact problem. Land Rover Customer Service has tried but it all falls on the dealership where I purchased. I'm on month two of trying to get this nonsense resolved. I've heard the Defender acts on it's own with WIFI connection and AT&T account isn't needed, then also heard you need a monthly subscription. But... AT&T won't recognized Defender VINs. The dealership has to register the VIN with AT&T at purchase.

My car shows "Online Pack with Data Plan" and I've got everything but wifi. I have tried everything and beyond frustrated. I'm not sure I NEED the wifi option, but would be good for our 10hr car rides if my kids want to do something online so I can have some peace. HA!

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I've had my 2020 Defender since Oct. THank you!

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (05-06-2021)

Quick Reply: WiFi data working for you?