Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WiFi data working for you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 11:03 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
Before going into any apps... can you connect ? or see an external IP ( ATT connected car )?
I see the ATT service in the settings did not subscribe so not active. Apple Home and MyQ apps see home and can operate connected devices. Happens connected to CarPlay or just the car via Bluetooth so I think I have it down to something in the way the Savant app tries to use Bluetooth (or doesn’t) but when connected to the CarlinKit CarPlay it shows wireless and Bluetooth connection to the car.

Old 05-30-2021, 01:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Please look at your settings

Greetings. I think I have too stumbled into a bigger issue here, which the dealership would be unable to solve. This is a case for JLR InControl ppl.
Please, if you have the time and would like to help, post here your settings:

ICCID : what is your serial displayed ( mine starts with 893107....... which is a "SIM" for Netherlands !!!! - wrong country )
IMSI: what is your number(s) that you see ( mine starts with 20408XXXXXXXXXX - which again is for Netherlands - again, wrong country ).
APN: gen2.lxr.movedata.mobi - this is what I have and is NOT an APN for AT&T. It is again a prepaid APN for KPN Mobile Netherlands.

So, if you see any of these you really need to call InControl and either have them fix it ( boy ! that is gonna be a doozie ... ) or it may get to the point that the entire unit ( modem ) may have to be swapped out for US version.
Or, if you paid for it, ask for the 360 $ back, and go buy a JetPack and get your vehicle in "Connect to WiFi network" mode, and you got internet....

My 2 very small cents how to solve this problem gracefully would be for JLR to talk nice to AT&T and have these foreign devices in kind of a roaming ... on ATT network, and problem solved, or they need to get you a new modem, for ATT.
I some how believe they will not be graceful at all ( JLR InControl that is ).

The following 2 users liked this post by Mechano2020:
Chief65 (06-03-2021), GFranklin (06-18-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 01:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

I understand very little of what Mechano2020 is writing, but I know that is a good thing, as he seems to be bringing more information on the networking front which is new and hopefully useful to the forum (and I don't want to use the networking capability, so what I understand is not relevant).

Keep it coming ! Those who want to network their vehicles should be able to do so !

The following 2 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
Chief65 (05-30-2021), GFranklin (06-18-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 06:05 PM
Rock Crawling

TrioLRowner - you are absolutely right ... I am an engineer for trade, and at times I speak giberrish ... my bad.
Here is a quick translation:
ICCID - it is the serial number of your chip card ones put in the phone, or a SIM. Every SIM or chip card, has a unique number - in the world - which differentiate you form the next user. ICCID has a series of numbers ( serial number ) which identified for which World Network was it built, and what technology ( all the way from older systems to 5G )
IMSI : this is a more convoluted number where one or a wireless carrier can identify a user, ANYWHERE in the world. Is also unique to one user. Say if you are a US cell phone user ( or cellular device user ) in Vanuatu, I can tell you from which country you are, what is your home network, and more.... just by having the IMSI.
APN: this is very important piece of information. Say for example you are a prepaid cell phone user, with limited internet. You will get a different internet on your phone ( APN ) than ...say Mr. X , who has a postpaid account and has truly unlimited data - Mr. X will have a different address or identifier for his intenet.

I do hope that this clarifies it a bit.
And please, if you guys have some data please post - don't put all the info, just the first characters as in my example. We need to get this to JLR to get if fixed. I have a feeling they cocked this up big time, putting the wrong units in these vehicles.

Thank you.

Chief65 (05-30-2021), GFranklin (06-18-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 01:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Here is a quick update on the (wrong) unit / "modem" for lack of better words :
- in my vehicle the unit is for Netherlands
- the internet device, due to the fact that is for the wrong country, seems to be in roaming, in USA. Not working because it is not authorized for US
- I can see clearly now the device trying to roam either on ATT or TMO but without success

So, if your device is still not getting the internet which you paid for, I would suggest to go to the dealership and have it re-flashed for US image.

Interesting thig is that the unit itself it is capable of seeing more than one network in US ... and I thought it was built for ATT only.

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 11:47 PM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey Umberto! You are absolutely correct about all of the below but..... https://lr-retrofits.co.uk/ activated my WiFi hotspot after I bought the center console SIM card slot and they activated it. Now I can use any data plan SIM card or get one from my dealership buddies for free for free WiFi! I already tested it! Cheers. The slot is 60-80 bucks.

Originally Posted by umbertob
Data plan and Wi-Fi are separate things. The data plan is an option you buy from the factory when you order your vehicle. It includes 1 year of unlimited, all-you-can-eat data. I guess the easiest way to check would be to open the car's own Weather app and see if it you have it and if it works (do you get weather information / forecast displayed for your location or destination), if it does your car should have a data plan. Perhaps someone without a data plan could confirm if that's the case? You can also use the data plan to generate an in-car Wi-Fi hotspot (in the Connectivity settings menu) that your passengers can use to connect devices such as tablets and computers to the internet using the car's own generated Wi-Fi hotspot, instead of your phone's.

The Defender has two modems, one is always active and connected to a local network (such as AT&T) to be able to download SOTA updates issued by the manufacturer, regardless of whether you have a data plan or not. The second modem needs its own SIM card (either a physical one in some markets or a built-in e-SIM in others, such as here in the US), which you order with the optional data plan when you buy the car. My understanding is that it can't be enabled / activated by the dealer after your purchase, it's a factory option only.

Wi-Fi access is the ability of the Defender to connect to a nearby Wi-Fi network, for example your home router when the car is parked in your garage, to check for and quickly download software updates - a faster alternative to the built-in modem. I believe Wi-Fi is a standard feature of every Defender, which you also enable (or disable) in the Connectivity menu.

Old 06-15-2021, 02:10 PM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So to update everyone on a solution:
Ok, so after having the vehicle quite a bit of time at Land Rover Newport Beach, they opened a TA case number 3203134, updated PF to 333, IGM from L8B2-19L322-BP to BU and ICCM from L8B2-19L312-BP to BU, they were able to get the hotspot to work!!
I am not sure what the above means, but it is written down like that in the report I got, and whatever it is, it got it to work. I would think that you can have your Service Rep look at this, or have them contact Leo at Newport Beach for additional help.
Hopefully this helps everyone as I know how painful it was to not have the hotpot available for the kids.

Cheers.

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (06-15-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 06:31 PM
Rock Crawling

@jano A big thank you. I wish you were here, to buy you a lunch, or at least a coffee. I spoke with my service manager, and handed over the info from you. 24 hrs later my vehicle's internet is fixed. Not sure if it was this 100%, but he was (pleasantly) surprised about the info, and it is now fixed ! More than likely this had something to do with it. I am still not sure what that means in English (yet) but I will find out all those codes. Thank you again !!!

Chief65 (06-16-2021), jano (06-16-2021)