Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WiFi data working for you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 04:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by JtKus
I am having this exact problem. Land Rover Customer Service has tried but it all falls on the dealership where I purchased. I'm on month two of trying to get this nonsense resolved. I've heard the Defender acts on it's own with WIFI connection and AT&T account isn't needed, then also heard you need a monthly subscription. But... AT&T won't recognized Defender VINs. The dealership has to register the VIN with AT&T at purchase.

My car shows "Online Pack with Data Plan" and I've got everything but wifi. I have tried everything and beyond frustrated. I'm not sure I NEED the wifi option, but would be good for our 10hr car rides if my kids want to do something online so I can have some peace. HA!

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I've had my 2020 Defender since Oct. THank you!
The dealer needs to fix this and JLR should be on these dealers to follow a process that will allow the wifi hotspot to work properly. Much like Audi I suspect you do need an account with a carrier for it to work, so you may need to set that up eventually, I don't know about initially. It should work for hopefully a few years and then I expect a plan will need to be purchased to continue on from there. With Audi it worked for just a year which is BS and then they wanted a bunch of money to both reactivate it and start on a prepaid plan. The reactivation fee was hundreds and absurd after I had already paid several hundred for activation initially so I did not renew it on principal. Plus once we crossed the border into Canada for a trip to Toronto it didn't work for the kids Ipads so that annoyed the heck out of me.

I've ordered the wifi on the '22 Defender so here's hoping they have things sorted out with the hotspot by then. I appreciate that you're keeping us informed.

Last edited by Chief65; 05-05-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:45 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Our 2021's both connect with our home wifi but when out it requires the data pack to connect through cell service. That it does fine and we can have several devices operating at any given time with no issues. I think the "wifi" nomenclature is misleading as if you do not have something to connect to, there will be no wifi. The hot spot appears to be through the data plan, and allows a wifi connection to the hot spot which is actually a cellular signal. The data plan includes one year of service but I hear it then goes to $20 per month after that.

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 11:28 AM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JtKus
I am having this exact problem. Land Rover Customer Service has tried but it all falls on the dealership where I purchased. I'm on month two of trying to get this nonsense resolved. I've heard the Defender acts on it's own with WIFI connection and AT&T account isn't needed, then also heard you need a monthly subscription. But... AT&T won't recognized Defender VINs. The dealership has to register the VIN with AT&T at purchase.

My car shows "Online Pack with Data Plan" and I've got everything but wifi. I have tried everything and beyond frustrated. I'm not sure I NEED the wifi option, but would be good for our 10hr car rides if my kids want to do something online so I can have some peace. HA!

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I've had my 2020 Defender since Oct. THank you!
Hi There. I have a 2021 Discovery HSE with data plan and hotspot; However, have the same issue. I can connect to the hotspot, but there is no data. Were you able to solve this problem? dealer is clueless...
thanks a lot!

Old 05-24-2021, 05:41 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZERO resolution. The dealership is still trying to figure out what is going on - no one has any clue on how to actually make this system work! I am so frustrated.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:58 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

The current system is full of bugs, and honestly the dealers don't know how to fix anything. My satellite data issue self resolved after a dealer visit where they allegedly fixed it but it happened again on the drive home. Then it seems to have fixed itself and the dealer is totally puzzled.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

My mobile hotspot dpes not work in 2021 X-Dynamic HSE. It's super annoying. It works perfectly in my Jeep Wrangler, Volvo XC40, and BMW X3. Kids were annoyed their iPads dont work in the car... Gron

Old 05-28-2021, 02:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Data, WiFi, and sw. updates

I just got yesterday my 2021 Defender, and here is what I learned about the data plans from: InControl tech, Dealer, and ATT.
1 - you have to order the data plan (the 300 ish ) option when you build it.
2 - it will have to be activated on the Defenders by InControl by JLR
here is where it gets a bit convoluted:
- previously ( other models before 2020 - and there may be there even now that still have it ) the vehicle had a physical SIM you can pop in and out, which was your data, and another e-SIM for updates, and InControl features.
- on the SIM capable vehicles, one can call ATT Connected Car ( different # than ATT wireless ) and get a plan for x months, years etc. Totally separated than the e-SIM that was still on a different plan, which you don't see or control
3 - on the new Defender, US version, there is no physical SIM. There are 2 different IMEI ( 2 different devices ) in the vehicle. One is for your JLR updates, comes with connectivity which is not the same as your data plan. You don't "see" this. This is where JLR pings your vehicle, does sw updates, etc.
The 2nd IMEI - 2nd e-SIM is the one that is your data for Spotify, online services, WiFi hotspot for your car. Before you could call ATT and have it activated, or linked to an existing wireless plan you may had for your cell phone. Not anymore. It will go through JLR and is more expensive - instead of 20 $ from ATT is now about 30 $ / mo from JLR.
I called ATT and tried to activate it separately. They don't even see the VIN in their system on the new ones.
So, what does the 360 $ / year gives you ? " unlimited " 22GB of data / mo through ATT network, and when the renewal time comes, your InControl account will send you 4 ( four ) email reminders, to renew the account at the end of the year.

Alternatively, you can get a Verizon jet pack, set it as a hotspot, and connect your vehicle to a "nearby WiFi" which is your jetpack. Probably cheaper, and you can use it in home also.

Anyways, I hope this sheds a bit of light on the latest JLR system.

The following 6 users liked this post by Mechano2020:
Chief65 (05-28-2021), Kalliste80 (06-18-2021), Magnumforc (07-21-2021), tictalk67 (05-28-2021), TrioLRowner (05-30-2021), WMN (05-29-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-28-2021, 06:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts
Thumbs up

Great post Mechano2020

Old 05-29-2021, 01:50 PM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a problem in that once my iPhone connects to my 21 p400 HSE the Savant App that I use to control some of my home devices will no longer connect to my home. Even after disconnecting completely from the car Bluetooth and wireless it will not reset until I return to the home network. Through process of elimination I have turned off connect to external wireless, carlinkit carplay and left only bluetooth and still once connected to my car I can no longer connect to devices through the Savant app until I return to home wireless. It sounds like a Savant app issue but thought I would post here just in case anyone has had similar issues with other apps? Thx.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Before going into any apps... can you connect ? or see an external IP ( ATT connected car )?

Quick Reply: WiFi data working for you?