2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield crack from heat (?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 03:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

I used the link you provided and logged the incident. Thanks for providing the link.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 03:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Still smells fishy to me.

Can you elaborate ?

Old 09-29-2021, 04:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have had chips on my windshields for 40 years and not once have I had a crack run away on me -- never replaced a windshield. I would just feel a lot better if a rock hit it (or a tree limb) sufficiently for me to know it and to see evidence of a problem.

My personal experience suggests something else is happening ..... and could happen again immediately (or within 10K miles)? Just having a hard time overcoming the inertia of my personal experience.

In any case, we shall see how arrives the new windshield and how long it lasts. There is one positive news, which is the part number is new -- the original one was obsoleted. That might mean something positive, I hope.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Your standard deviation vs. median is off the charts then . I am at the opposite pole. To give you an example: I go in BestBuy and pick an item, any item from many others identical. Mine is broken, or breaks in days. Not kidding - ( I wish I was kidding ). I guess is an ancestral curse
I had a lot of vehicles, from crappy european, to japanesse and americans. I did not have windshield issues like this. Yes, I had real rocks or bird strikes, but those are some times unavoidable, and a clear cause of the cracks or issues with windshields. I still believe that LR windshields are the worst. This last one has only hardened my conviction. I love the vehicle and the capabilities (so far) but I hate their windshields with a passion. Anyways, for now, I have a new windshield.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

I thought I was the only one with terrible kharma, @Mechano2020 ! My spiritual / luck brother....

Old 09-30-2021, 04:58 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Got our windshield replaced today at dealer

$1620. They would not even entertain any idea it was warranteed, even tho it broke for no reason. $500 deduct on comprehensive insurance. Looks good. Seems relatively quiet. They even replaced my rivet on the A-pillar cover that I installed to keep it from coming off.

Old 09-30-2021, 05:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@MarkZ - If you don't think it was due to rock damage, just spontaneous - PLEASE - fill one of these out. Save your receipt and if they do institute a recall, you should get your $$ back. I hope you have lots of pics because it might be tough to prove rocks/stress afterwards.

Here's the link to start the NHSTA complaints (Link). If enough people complain, it will trigger an investigation. If significant, a recall will be declared and JLR will be forced to cure.

And every time you hear of someone having a non-rock/object induced break (what folks are thinking are engineering/manufacturing issues), ask them to file a complaint!

All - I'm no engineer, but it appears that all of these pics are starting / originating at the same point at the base of the windows. Never the top. Is that the consensus?

Last edited by GrouseK9; 09-30-2021 at 05:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
MarkZ (09-30-2021), TrioLRowner (10-01-2021), _Allegedly (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 05:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@MarkZ - If you don't think it was due to rock damage, just spontaneous - PLEASE - fill one of these out. Save your receipt and if they do institute a recall, you should get your $$ back. I hope you have lots of pics because it might be tough to prove rocks/stress afterwards.

Here's the link to start the NHSTA complaints (Link). If enough people complain, it will trigger an investigation. If significant, a recall will be declared and JLR will be forced to cure.

And every time you hear of someone having a non-rock/object induced break (what folks are thinking are engineering/manufacturing issues), ask them to file a complaint!

All - I'm no engineer, but it appears that all of these pics are starting / originating at the same point at the base of the windows. Never the top. Is that the consensus?
That was the case with mine. It started at the A-pillar. Came from there. Pop!

I will do as you suggest with the NHSTA report!

The following 2 users liked this post by MarkZ:
GrouseK9 (10-01-2021), TrioLRowner (10-01-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Glass is replaced -- looks good

Ok, I bought the new windscreen (my first ever on any vehicle) from my local JLR dealer for $1050, it arrived in 3 days, the dealer inspected it and they moved it to their recommended installer. Then the installer came to the house and replaced the window for $175 USD -- was an interesting and straight-forward process.

The windshield is very thin, made by Pilkinton in Germany, and has JLR stamped all over it. Installer said windscreens are 1/2 of the thickness from 10 years ago, and are stronger, to the point of helping support the roof in a roll-over (??).

Anyway, it looks good and all works so far. So it goes for $1200 ...... Enjoy !

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (10-18-2021)
Old 05-02-2022, 03:50 PM
8th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
Quick update about the warranty: I spoke with the dealership (higher ups) and I was told in non equivocal terms that there is NO warranty on glass. Is on me, no matter what.
So basically they don't stand behind their windshields - no pun intended.
Now I am really p.o. - definitely looking for lawyers.
I can't believe that no one has yet took this matter further in courts on the LR. Definitely I am not the only one. But, I may have to start this fire.
Hi thanks for sharing this. Do you think a dash camera will be helpful to video this and show clear cracking happened? which will support further investigations I guess.

Quick Reply: Windshield crack from heat (?)