Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless CarPlay Gone

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 11:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Wireless CarPlay Gone

Hey there. New owner with a ‘23 110S P300 and absolutely loving it. While we have had our fair share of hiccups with the Pivi system (version 3.2.1) this one seems to be have me beat.

While out on a road trip we were using my phone on wireless CarPlay when my partner decided to plug her iPhone in to charge. Pivi seemed to pop between things and get entirely confused by this action. I had her remove the connected device but it seems already too late and my device was no longer connected wirelessly. While I can’t say definitively this was the incident that cause the issue, I’m fairly certain this set things on.

Since then the CarPlay settings screen (as well as AA) states “Connect a compatible device via USB” which will work but as soon as the device is removed CarPlay stops. It seems wireless CarPlay is no longer an option for me. I have tried many Pivi resets, reset connectivity, created a new profile, removed the 110 from both Bluetooth and CarPlay (rebooted both before reconnecting) and preformed the Delete all user data under System Restore but the issue persists.

This is made worse by the fact that I work Professionally in IT.

Picture Tax Attached

Hoping someone here has run into this before or has some tips on this. Hopefully when I get home I can try using another iPhone to eliminate the device itself from the issue. Any tips appreciated!

The following 2 users liked this post by mdgs:
GrouseK9 (01-01-2023), WAFOX (04-26-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 05:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you ever get this resolved? I’ve got the exact same issue.

I’ve deleted the phone and tried reinstalling without success.

Thanks-

Old 12-31-2022, 11:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 245 Likes on 131 Posts

did you try removing the wifi settings/forget the network from the phone too? Do you have another device that is taking wifi away (which is needed for carplay)? i had a dash cam disconnect me from carplay (or try too a few times) and after I forgot the dash cam network it worked fine.

Old 01-01-2023, 02:01 PM
Overlanding

Great catch. I do have a dash can. However after removing the dashcam’s network from my phone and deleting the phone I still don’t have a wireless CarPlay connection. I even reset Pivi Pro (held down the volume button until the screen went blank).

Am I missing a step?

Thanks again!

Old 01-01-2023, 08:18 PM
Rock Crawling

only other thing I can think of is you're on 3.2.1 and 3.3.1 is the latest. That shouldn't be the reason, but 3.3.0 had fixes for connectivity for carplay. which phone do you have? which iOS?

Old 01-01-2023, 09:16 PM
Overlanding

I’m using an iPhone 13 Pro Max and running IOS 16.2.

My Defender was just delivered last week and when I try to run updates the screen says I’m up to date.

The frustrating part of this is that wireless worked until I plugged in the phone with the USB cable. Now I can’t get it to connect wirelessly.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ThunderBob
I’m using an iPhone 13 Pro Max and running IOS 16.2.

My Defender was just delivered last week and when I try to run updates the screen says I’m up to date.

The frustrating part of this is that wireless worked until I plugged in the phone with the USB cable. Now I can’t get it to connect wirelessly.
Oh, hmm, sounds like a 'switch to usb mode' switch got flipped,

Have you tried this?
  • If your car supports CarPlay both wirelessly and with a USB cable, plug your iPhone into the USB port in your car. An alert on your iPhone will offer to connect you wirelessly on your next drives.
  • If your car supports only wireless CarPlay, press and hold the voice command button on your steering wheel. Make sure that your stereo is in wireless or Bluetooth mode. Then on your iPhone, go to Settings > Wi-Fi, and make sure that Wi-Fi is also turned on. Tap the CarPlay network, and check that Auto-Join is turned on. Then, go to Settings > General > CarPlay, and select your car. Check your car manual for more information.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:31 PM
Overlanding

Alas, I tried that (straight from Apple support page) without success. Quite frustrating.

I may get ambitious next week and delete the phone from the defender, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then delete the Defender and reset the iPhones network connections before reconnecting the battery and starting over.

Old 01-04-2023, 01:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I had this happen with android auto when my wife plugged her phone in, but making sure my phone was connected via BT and then clicking on android auto in the pivi menu re-launched it properly on my phone. It occasionally does not launch automatically for me (has done this since new), and launching via the pivi menu works every time (so far).

Old 01-05-2023, 03:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

I will say that nothing I did specifically seem to resolve the issue and at the time we were camping so I wasn't truly able to separate the key from the car for long. I will say that after removing/adding Carplay several times, making a new account on the car, nothing seemed to change anything until one day we went for a long bike ride and (car locked, key fob with me) and the next day when we left camp Airplay just popped back up. I really dont know what I might have done outside letting the car sit for a bit, and the issue has never popped back up since.

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay Gone