2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless charging overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 03:22 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've experienced the same issue, when using CarPlay (simultaneously using Spotify and Google Maps) and charging wirelessly, phone overheated. It took about 45 minutes for the phone to heat up, then the thermometer icon with the message the phone was over heated and needed to cool down before using was on the device. It has been cold since 12/13/22 when I got the new Defender, so held it outside the window while driving and it recouped quickly. Thinking this would be a problem in the summertime, I started using the USB-C cord, but in the past week I am now also having issues with the phone heating up (but not shutting down), although the phone seems to disconnect for a long time with now way to reconnect unless I pull over and restart the vehicle.

Old 02-27-2023, 04:53 PM
Received 176 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by WeinerDogFrank
I've experienced the same issue, when using CarPlay (simultaneously using Spotify and Google Maps) and charging wirelessly, phone overheated. It took about 45 minutes for the phone to heat up, then the thermometer icon with the message the phone was over heated and needed to cool down before using was on the device. It has been cold since 12/13/22 when I got the new Defender, so held it outside the window while driving and it recouped quickly. Thinking this would be a problem in the summertime, I started using the USB-C cord, but in the past week I am now also having issues with the phone heating up (but not shutting down), although the phone seems to disconnect for a long time with now way to reconnect unless I pull over and restart the vehicle.
Do you have the latest software updates for the car?

Old 02-28-2023, 05:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

I do enjoy a cold drink from my center console fridge and it's equally excellent at keeping my phone cold.

Obviously not wireless charging in there but USB, navigation, and music at the same time. Works perfectly.

The following users liked this post:
PaulLR (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 04:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I have not had my phone overheat but I have noticed that if running wireless Android auto and charging at the same time the phone eventually gets hot and will not charge at a fast enough rate to keep it from eventually discharging. This has only been an issue on long trips or if the phone had a low charge to start with, and the solution for me is to shut down Android auto if I don't need it and/or run a wire to it. However, it will still charge slowly even wired due to the heat. My thought is that when the phone is running Bluetooth, wifi and gps all at the same time (which it needs to do wireless Android auto/carplay), it just gets hot and protects itself by not allowing fast battery charging on top of it, which has nothing to do with the Land Rover. I've found the built in nav on the land Rover is quite good so have been using that and letting my phone charge if it's in the heat death spiral.

WeinerDogFrank (03-01-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 07:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 214 Likes on 109 Posts

Put me in the "cooked my phone" category. Bluetooth connected for calls, no apple play, no maps, nothing else. Found it best that once it gets up to about 80% charged, get if off the pad.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:29 AM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't bother using it in my 110X. Just makes my phone hot and gains like 1% an hour. If I actually want the phone to charge USB-C cable it is.

Old 03-01-2023, 10:20 AM
4wd Low

Yes I’ve made sure the D130 software was up to date. I’ve also been trying some other potential hacks. Using the USBC cord and running Apple play also produces some finicky results recently on long trips. Especially when crossing from NJ into NY on the thruway. (No comments please LOL) therefore I’m now going to try driving the vehicle but not connecting my phone to its WiFi since I’m wondering if that may have something to do with it as well. Often I also find that the audio apps Spotify TuneIn iHeart radio will drop connections or simply not play and lock up the entire infotainment system. Has anyone else found this?

I do agree the LR navigation is better than prior vehicles, but the Google Maps and traffic monitoring and prior routes lookup features from when you’re researching and not in the vehicle still make Google Maps a little better I think.

Old 03-01-2023, 06:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WeinerDogFrank
Yes I’ve made sure the D130 software was up to date. I’ve also been trying some other potential hacks. Using the USBC cord and running Apple play also produces some finicky results recently on long trips. Especially when crossing from NJ into NY on the thruway. (No comments please LOL) therefore I’m now going to try driving the vehicle but not connecting my phone to its WiFi since I’m wondering if that may have something to do with it as well. Often I also find that the audio apps Spotify TuneIn iHeart radio will drop connections or simply not play and lock up the entire infotainment system. Has anyone else found this?

I do agree the LR navigation is better than prior vehicles, but the Google Maps and traffic monitoring and prior routes lookup features from when you’re researching and not in the vehicle still make Google Maps a little better I think.

I agree, Google maps is better. I set pivi to not automatically launch Android auto and launch it manually if I need it for traffic or the better voice commands. Launching manually is just a matter of tapping Android auto in the main app menu.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:12 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought the twin Qi charger that PowerfulUK sells and have been happy with it. No overheating on longer trip with maps and audiobook going. IMHO it looks like it belongs. Downside is I have to remove my case for the charging to work. I have a RokForm case and it’s too thick for wireless charging. It’s also just a handy spot to hold your phone whether charging or not.

Old 03-02-2023, 09:11 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Jiman01
I bought the twin Qi charger that PowerfulUK sells and have been happy with it. No overheating on longer trip with maps and audiobook going. IMHO it looks like it belongs. Downside is I have to remove my case for the charging to work. I have a RokForm case and it’s too thick for wireless charging. It’s also just a handy spot to hold your phone whether charging or not.

Ooooooohhhhhh. I like that. That looks great…I think I might do the same.

Quick Reply: Wireless charging overheating