4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

97 Disco Snow Fun

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011 | 05:56 PM
|
Pro Wrench
Default 97 Disco Snow Fun

Well SWMBO made sure I knew it was time to get a Christmas tree. Since I'd dedicated the last three months to the Rover, it was going, running well or not.

Nervously we set off, driving 2 hours, and then into the woods with 3 other trucks. Worst case, we'd get back by a AAA sponsored tow truck.

Even with the high idle, driveline vibration upon acceleration, and uncertainty plaguing my mind as to what is wrong, the drive went well. Once we left the paved road it was immediately apparent the Rover was made for this. It just felt right off-road.

We headed up into the mountains until we hit snow and I was pleased to find the CDL worked fine. It handled the snow well for the less than ideal tires (255/70/R16 M/T). Finally we stopped in a good christmas tree area, got the tree, strapped it to the roof rack, and had a good time drinking spiked cocoa and sledding.

Here we are:
97 Disco Snow Fun-img_1900.jpg

Little did we know, the Rover was stuck. I had pulled off into the deeper snow to allow another truck by. As it sat there the frozen snow had started to thaw, compounding the depth.
97 Disco Snow Fun-img_1907.jpg

We shoveled and used the factory tow points to tie to one of the Tundras.
97 Disco Snow Fun-img_1916.jpg

97 Disco Snow Fun-img_1917.jpg

97 Disco Snow Fun-img_1918.jpg

When we got out of the snow and headed back we noticed the truck seemed much smoother and more responsive. Big thanks to you guys for making this fun trip possible. Now back to fixing it...

Old 12-03-2011 | 09:45 PM

If it was stuck and the CDL was working, I am surprised that it got stuck with the CL working. Did You try changing from High to Low for the transfer case before you had to be pulled out?

Was that a nylon rope or what that they used?

A Tundra pulled you out?

Oh man..............

Old 12-03-2011 | 11:57 PM
|
Pro Wrench

yeah nylon rope rated 10,000 lbs. The Tundra had 35's AT's with a 6 inch lift and stayed on the nicely plowed path (disco was in front until we turned around). Hardly a challenge. Meanwhile the disco was lying belly deep in snow, wheels hardly touching the ground. CDL can't do much if no wheels have traction

Old 12-04-2011 | 10:07 AM
Winching

Nice, we were supposed to go play in the snow this weekend but our daughter got sick thusly rendering our weekend moot.

Old 12-04-2011 | 12:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Well SWMBO made sure I knew it was time to get a Christmas tree. Since I'd dedicated the last three months to the Rover, it was going, running well or not.

Nervously we set off, driving 2 hours, and then into the woods with 3 other trucks. Worst case, we'd get back by a AAA sponsored tow truck.

Even with the high idle, driveline vibration upon acceleration, and uncertainty plaguing my mind as to what is wrong, the drive went well. Once we left the paved road it was immediately apparent the Rover was made for this. It just felt right off-road.

We headed up into the mountains until we hit snow and I was pleased to find the CDL worked fine. It handled the snow well for the less than ideal tires (255/70/R16 M/T). Finally we stopped in a good christmas tree area, got the tree, strapped it to the roof rack, and had a good time drinking spiked cocoa and sledding.

Here we are:
Attachment 6870

Little did we know, the Rover was stuck. I had pulled off into the deeper snow to allow another truck by. As it sat there the frozen snow had started to thaw, compounding the depth.
Attachment 6871

We shoveled and used the factory tow points to tie to one of the Tundras.
Attachment 6872

Attachment 6873

Attachment 6874

When we got out of the snow and headed back we noticed the truck seemed much smoother and more responsive. Big thanks to you guys for making this fun trip possible. Now back to fixing it...
Bummer you got stuck, but wow! All that work you did to the Rover is paying off in droves!

Old 12-05-2011 | 12:54 PM

Yeah if you suddenly sink down to the frame or belly dragging on slick stuff, not much hope, glad there was no damages.

Old 12-05-2011 | 02:05 PM

on the first day god created the Land Rover, and the people saw that it was good. on the 2nd day god created the mud terrain, and the people saw that it was good. on the third day god created a center locking diff, and the people saw that they were good. on the 4th day god created the winch. and people saw that it was good. on the 5th day god created PSP mat's and the people saw that it was good. and on the 6th day no one was getting stuck and God ran out of things to create.