4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Anyone near Kansas City?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 09:08 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New D1 owner as well, picked up a 96 yesterday. Runs great, but a lot of the usual little D1 issues: rear windows wont work, tailgate latch, a power steering leak, etc. mostly needs a lot of cleaning up.

Where is a good place to get a remote and have it programmed? I only got the two physical keys with the truck.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:33 AM
4wd Low

Not sure about the remote thing but curious my self. Welcome to the Rover club I have a 95 Discovery that needs a new fuel pump. (I hope) So I'm out of commission for a bit.

Welcome

Old 12-19-2013, 01:43 PM
5th Gear

Hey guys, new Disco 2 owner here. Got it as my second vehicle for winter and hopefully some off-road fun... its my first 4x4, so I would love to go out to the trails with some people who know what the f they are doing

I had been craigslist whoring for a few weeks waiting for the right one to come along, and it paid off pretty big. 2002 SE7 w/ 136k in excellent physical condition with a few issues- front driver window won't go down (motor doesn't make any sound when I hit the button, does that mean its probably the motor or could it still be just the regulator? Haven't gotten in there to test things yet), rear hatch stuck (took about 5 minutes w/ some silicone grease and working it), headliner coming out, and it was running really rough (check engine light was on). The previous owner didn't feel like messing with it (didnt even check the codes), and was selling it for only $1900!! Codes were for misfires in cylinders 1 and 6, all it took was new plugs and wires and she purrs like a kitten, couldn't be more psyched.

Anyone know of any decent salvage yard cars in town right now? I'm looking for a few parts, namely a front driver side window motor (and/or regulator), front driver side door handle bezel, perhaps a new windshield (mine has a few rock chips in it) and of course racks/guards and other toys

I'm in the Brookside area in KCMO, looking forward to meeting some other KC area Disco/Rover owners!

Old 12-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

My 1999 disco had a window that wouldn't do anything. I was at a salvage yard getting some goodies and I saw a set of heated seat switches. I grabbed the whole panel with all of the switches and installed it.

Not only did that enable to heated switches, all of the windows started working. There was evidence of something sticky being spilled at some point. I'm guessing the window switches were compromised.

I'm not saying that is your problem.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:58 PM
5th Gear

I will certainly keep that in mind. Its the only non-functioning electronic component right now, and I can hear the click when I hit the window button (even though nothing inside the door makes any sounds). I'm going to tear it open this weekend and try and figure it out. Just out of curiosity, is the rear window motor the same as the front? Might be useful for testing purposes, or a ghetto fix (steal from the back for the front) in the meantime while I get a new one on order.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I believe so about the motors being the same front and rear.

If it makes some sort of sound I doubt it's the switch.

If you do need a motor, shop around. They fit 1995 RRC, and disco from 1994-2004. Some places are cheap, so places are are very expensive. I think I got a good price on a pro line motor from rovers north when I needed one for my 2003, but that was a while ago.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Drifting

You might check with Paul Grant on the forums, he has helped me a couple times with parts. I haven't had much luck finding Rovers in the KC salvage yards.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Drifting

I have an extra window motor and some extra switches, both from a D1 if you want to try them. I'm really close to you in Midtown. PM me and when can meet up.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:17 PM
Overlanding

Any interest in having a get together to work on repairs or maintenance items? I used to do this in the BMW club here in KC and it was a lot of fun. We'd get 5-10 cars to work on and lots more just showing up to help. Everything from replacing spark plugs, tire rotations, oil changes, diff fluid changes, to whatever else you can think of. I am looking to change out my lower control arms and would be nice to have a few other knowledgable people around when I do it..... Just throwing the idea out there....

Old 03-26-2014, 07:30 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by brjp1
Any interest in having a get together to work on repairs or maintenance items? I used to do this in the BMW club here in KC and it was a lot of fun. We'd get 5-10 cars to work on and lots more just showing up to help. Everything from replacing spark plugs, tire rotations, oil changes, diff fluid changes, to whatever else you can think of. I am looking to change out my lower control arms and would be nice to have a few other knowledgable people around when I do it..... Just throwing the idea out there....
I'd come to a gathering. I rebuilt the top end on the wife's Rover last fall. I'm sure I could be of some assistance.

Quick Reply: Anyone near Kansas City?