4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Five More Minutes

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts
Default Five More Minutes

Just laying around the house today, since l'd tweaked my back yesterday doing some strenuous work (bent over to get something out of the drier...yes, forty years of being a heavy mechanic has done this to me). Anyhow, wife left this morning for a graduation party up north and that left me all alone to mill through pictures on an old laptop...which in turn...got me feeling all melancholy. So, even though my back was barking...popped a few ibuprofen and headed for the rover.

Drove out to the Lapeer State Game area, since l know the area well. Our conservation group (Ruffed Grouse Society) use to have habitat/clean up days out there...and that was mainly why I was there. In some of the pictures l was looking at earlier there was a friend that had passed away a few years back, Hal, and l wanted to go out and see what had happen to the areas we had worked on together.

Stopped and took in the wonders of a wetland swamp upon entering the game area.

Got the Discovery back on a tight trail that offered some ups and downs, trail wise.

Drove around taking it all in.

Only ran into one other four-claw drive vehicle.

Kind of hoped it was Hal reincarnated and had come to see me, because I had come to remember him.

Felt good to be in the woods. Driving back in another trail for a looksee.

End of the road.

Swamps are plentiful out here, birds and water fowl in every direction...very peaceful.

Unfortunately, most trails are gated. These were all open when we came out to do habitat/clean up work...so l know how awesome they would be if obtainable. Walked this one for a ways, hoping to maybe hear a ruffed grouse drumming or flush one. Not to be though.

Sadden my heart to see what others think of our hard work. Our group filled two roll off dumpsters last time we were here. I guess we just made more room for new garbage to be dropped off by garbage minded folks.

Anyhow, stopped and shared a cigar with Hal at the area where we had cut dead trees and loaded every type of garbage imaginable. Hal passed away suddenly, got a call he had cancer...and four days later he was gone. He served in Vietnam War, raised two boys and kept giving to the out of doors all his life. While sitting there smoking my cigar and reflecting on life...a country song came on the radio...Five More Minutes...seemed appropriate...because that is what I was sharing with Hal today.

R.I.P Hal...and just know...there are still folks down here remembering you.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 06-10-2018 at 08:00 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by The Deputy:
OffroadFrance (06-11-2018), OverRover (06-11-2018), Richard Gallant (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 05:22 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Sounds like a good and decent way to remember a friend, to me.

As to garbage - I have come to the conclusion that all we can do is clean up after them best we can.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (06-11-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts
The Deputy (06-11-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 06:41 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

That's really cool there is no better place to spend some peaceful time then the outdoors

wish we had those trails here in Canada

The Deputy (06-11-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 09:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Amazing how one person's melancholy mood can rub off on another I'm such a sap - just shed a tear reading your tribute to Hal. Good friends are hard to find and when we lose one they take a piece of our hearts with them.

The photos of your drive today are beautiful. Thanks for sharing - I hope your back feels better soon.

Christina

The Deputy (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 05:59 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hey Brian, that's sad but it's life unfortunately.

You show some fly tip, I really hate fly tippers, they are too lazy to take their rubbish to a proper tip or just too mean to pay for the disposal, whatever the reason it just spoils the countryside for everyone.

Just consider, Hal was around for a long time and he was equally your friend, be thankful for that eh.

By the way, I take small amounts of 'brufen every day 'cos my knees are very sore with arthritis, but like you, I just keep on repairing my trucks for fun nearly everyday

TIP: take the 'brufen with 500-1000mg of paracetamol as that enhances the effect of the 'brufen 2 to 4 times on your aches and pains.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 06-11-2018 at 06:05 AM.
The Deputy (06-11-2018)