4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Help me plan a Cross-Country road trip!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me plan a Cross-Country road trip!

So here's the deal, I'm getting out of the military on the 12th of November. I'm not gonna have a job, a deadline, a boss, or whatsoever. I served our great nation for 9 long years of my life. I joined the U.S. Navy when I was 17. Now, it has to come to an end...

And since there would be nothing to stop me to do whatever I would like to do, I'm planning to travel. Ive always wanted to see the world. I guess thats why I joined the Navy in the first place, but I just ended up working 16-18 hour days, EVERYDAY (including weekends), and seeing only a few countries for 3-5 days the most.

I currently live in San Diego, CA. My last day of active duty is on the 12th of November. I'm planning to leave San Diego on the 14th of November which is a Friday. Then I'm heading to Los Angeles, Arizona, then Las Vegas, work my way up northwest to the Bay area, camp and hike Yosemite, then Lake Tahoe. I also want to camp and hike in Yellowstone. Then from there I really havedont have any ideawhere or what else to visit aside from friends from different states. But Im heading east, and my end destination would be Chicago (the whole family is there.) Then Im leaving Chicago after the holidays and Im off to Europe!

I'm gonna try to see as much as I can in Europe then Im going to Egypt, then South Africa. After that, Dubai, Bahrain and India. Then China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia and finally the Philippines. I might stay in Manila for awhile.

The Disco might stay in Chicago til I get back.

Please let me know of other cool and interesting places to see on my way heading east! Wish me luck and I hope the Disco doesnt break down on my way there... if it does I might ask you guys for some help through this forum!

Thanks a lot guys! And I will try to post some pictures!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help me plan a Cross-Country road trip!

It sounds like fun,,that it also sounds like you have everything planned out.

You will also find that most LR owners use their LR's as mini vans,,

Old 10-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Rock Crawling

me and my buddy did a (very non-direct) cross country trip in his 1988 Mitsubishi Starion a couple years ago and it was the best vacation of my life. We saw 4,500 miles of the USA in 10 days.

you'll have a lot of fun out west with the Discovery, there were a lot of places i wished we had an off-road vehicle.

but a lot of places i was glad we didn't: gas stations.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Rock Crawling

my favorites from our trip:
-Antelope Island and the Great Salt Lake
-"Monoliths" in Western Kansas (insanely cool natural formations in the middle of nowhere that nobody knows about.)
-Lake Tahoe
-Pacific Coast Highway between L.A. and San Francisco
-Denver, CO
-Wyoming

basically the majesty of the West really amazed me. There's just so much space out there; really different from Boston haha. I personally found most of what's east of Kansas to be pretty lame in comparison in terms of natural beauty

Old 12-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Overlanding

Wow, sounds like a great trip. I know I am posting a bit late, but I took the kids on a cross country trip several years ago, Sedona,AZ was great, as well as the Grand Canyon, if you don't mind the crowds.. Big Basin Redwoods State Park is really nice, it is the oldest State Park in CA- located between SF and Santa Cruz- the road there is a blast to drive!
Good luck