4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Roverlanders of BC June 2020 Placer lake region

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 06:25 PM
TReK
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts
Default Roverlanders of BC June 2020 Placer lake region

This was a 3 day trip, 3 Disco's, 2 Lr3's, 1 Isuzu pickup, and 4 Defenders very much the usual suspects run for the most part

1st a couple of teasers done by @acg

You can click the view interactive route to control the movement and view a large goggle earth image

Day 1 route https://www.relive.cc/view/vJOKXwYK3w6

Day 2 route https://www.relive.cc/view/vWqBek5ABQ6

I will post the detailed report and images over the next few days,images do not appear to be working for me today

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 06-16-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:36 AM
TReK

The trip started with the group meeting up just east of Abbotsford BC, a nice 20 minute drive for me over an hour for others. We had a quick drivers meeting and were on the road at around 9:30, under gray skies and a few showers pretty much the weather of the day.
From Abbotsford we traveled roughly 2 hours to the eastern edge of Manning Park, a small gas stop called Eastgate. The Discovery's and few others fueled up and we traveled short distance to the Forest Service road (FSR), as per usual I was the back of track keeping our leader Andy updated on any issues and when everyone cleared major turns on the trail.

Eastgate, with my Discovery in the foreground

Fueling up at Eastgate

We traveled down to a spot on the Ashnola river for lunch, on the trip down @acg discovered his Disco would not go into low, he could lockup the CDL just fine. With some assistance and from Andy our group leader they rocked the Disco back and forth and it eventually popped in. It appeared to be a simple lack of use and stiff transfer case issue, worked for the rest of the trip

With all the rain we have had everything is green, the trail to lunch

Lunch and air down

Disco's in the woods

"River" Crossing about hub deep at the deepest

From lunch we headed to Placer Lake, most of this was on Standard Forest Service Roads (FSR) with a few "shortcuts" for driving interest.

Queuing up for the 1st shortcut, the young lady in the sun roof filmed some video I hope will be available soon.

The stock Disco 1 heading down, it was the driver's 1st real 4 wheel drive trip

Everyone else bouncing down

The view back up

More to come

The following 3 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
Island Time (06-28-2020), Sixpack577 (06-17-2020), The Deputy (06-22-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 01:03 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

Richard,

I did not take too many pics or videos. However, I was able to get one with your truck going down the steep short cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4PW...ature=youtu.be

The following 2 users liked this post by acg:
Richard Gallant (06-17-2020), The Deputy (06-22-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 02:29 PM
TReK

@acg looks so easy when some one films it

Old 06-22-2020, 10:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Beautiful scenery. You certainly are in some beauitful country out there. Looking forward tothe rest of the trip.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:25 AM
TReK

@The Deputy just waiting on some other folks images, that is the only problem being at the back of the line. Should be in a day or two

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (06-22-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 10:25 AM
TReK

After a nice drive with on and off light rain we hit the creek crossing, there used to be a bridge but it is completely shot, walking across it could be exciting. The creek itself was not a problem the far side however had a log shelf that had to be climbed, as you crested you then needed to thread between to rather close together trees. As long as you put your tires in the right place no problem, it took most people a single try including the the D1 with all seasons. It took me 3 , I did not hedge enough to the right.

A short video of me coming up the far side on my 3rd attempt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KPn...ature=youtu.be

And a few stills

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
The Deputy (06-24-2020), whowa004 (06-26-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 10:34 AM
TReK

Once that was done it was time to climb to the lake, this was not a long climb but the road is very rocky with a couple of smooth heavily cracked rockt to contend with, as well as being very steep.

The province put a warning sign up, which appears to be ignored by all 4x4's

Out group leader coming down, the road is significantly steeper around the upper bend and much uglier

One of the "good" stretches

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
The Deputy (06-26-2020), whowa004 (06-26-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 10:36 AM
TReK

Still more to come

Old 06-26-2020, 11:28 AM
TReK

The trip down from Placer Lake to the nights camp should have been uneventful, but just as I reached the water crossing I noticed my brakes groaning and screeching a bit. Typical noises after driving through mud and muddy water etc, then my dash lit up with the 4 amigos - 3 plus the the e-brake light which seems typical on my 04. As the campsite was a little over 15 minutes away, let our group leader Andy know I had lost traction control and might need a tug. In the event the water crossing was no issue. Reaching our campsite I dug out my Foxwell and checked the codes, just a 1501 was showing (implausible speed) I have a thread for this issue. I cleared that that one and ran the ABS pump test, all lights out (of course), went for a short test drive. After locking up the brakes to enable ABS and hard acceleration to enable traction control I re-checked and no pending codes. I decided all was fine and it could had have been water/mud related.

At the point park and setup camp was the order of the afternoon. This took a bit longer than usual as this was my 1st use of the Roof top tent.

My campsite :

Everything setup and "found" piece of plywood saved from the fire used as a ladder base. As it was perfect it is now part of my kit.

The flip side, awning and test windbreak, which worked very well. There will be more on this in my build thread.

Some further campsite pictures by Andy the club pres and trip leader.

Disco side

Defender side

The following 3 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
acg (06-28-2020), The Deputy (06-26-2020), whowa004 (06-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Roverlanders of BC June 2020 Placer lake region