Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Bad Ground

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Ground

Purchasing a 96 Discovery. There's an aftermarket CD player installed (Pioneer 1650) and there's a buzzing from the speakers while the vehicle is running. As the speed increases, so does the buzzing. It was installed by someone other than the previous owner. The buzzing started after the unit was installed, and it played normally with the stock unit. I heard that Land Rover was a positive ground system but I've read nothing to support it. I think it's a bad ground but want to check the forum to see if anyone has a fix. Any recommendations? Anything to look at first?

Joe
96 Discovery
Stuttgart, Germany

Old 08-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bad Ground

no the rover is not a Pos. ground system. Also you radio power is prolly wired up to something directly to the motor power or alternator. Unhook the power wire on the new stereo and try taping it into something like the cig lighter, or even the old radio power wire. IF it is still buzzing you can buy a electronic noise filter, stereo shops sell them, auto stores sale tham, or you can even order them, they are not too expensive, i have seen cheap ones from 10 bucks to name brand ones to 50 bucks.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bad Ground

I got the stereo out and looked at the wiring. To say the least, it's a jumble of wires. The "trained" person that attempted the installation hacked the wires and now it's a mess. Also installed is an "alternator supressor" that removes the alternator or buzzing sound when the stereo is operating. Anyone have experience with this? There's a red wire and brown wire. The red wire is spliced to the fuse box and the brown wire is spliced to the positive terminal on the battery. In my experiences, the red is usually the hot side. I may try to swap the connections this weekend but want to check the site for recommendations/expertise.

Joe
96 Discovery
Stuttgart, Germany