Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

disco speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disco speakers

Hey guys, has anyone upgraded the 4 inch speakers in the discovery1? I want bigger, if not, what have yuo guys had the best results with?

Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: disco speakers

I just replaced the 4" speakers in my 94 disco last night. It's going to be hard for you to go any bigger. The factory 4" speakers fit pretty tight as it is. I went with a Pioneers. I got them at Best Buy and they sound really good. Very crisp. I didn't want to spend a crap load of money on speakers so these worked great for me. Here they are http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1199494465638

I'll be replacing the subwoofer speakers very soon also. Both were blown and rotted.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Three Wheeling

well. i porbably wont go bigger then, my knee hits the for so i cant have them stick out any more, but when my stereo was put in they didn't hook the amp back up. I was told it was under the dash. I would really like to set them back up and see what else I need to add for more base.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Three Wheeling

I just bought speakers for the rear sub today. I bought a pair of 6.5's just like the smaller ones I replaced in the front doors and pillars. I'm not a huge base person but I do like a little bit of thump. I'll let you know how they sound when I hook them up. My Disco has the factory radio so everything Amp wise is still hooked up. I'm not going to replace the radio. I bought an Ipod adapter that works great. It goes into the tape deck and a cord runs to the Ipod, like the old school portable cd players. I was really impressed how clear the sound was, and it was just 19 bucks.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Three Wheeling

I just replaced the sub speakers with some pioneer 6.5's. It sounds great. If your not wanting to spend a lot of money I highly recommend the one's i used. Great clear bass sound.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We talking DI or DII?
Do the upgraded speakers fit in without it looking like a hack job?

Old 05-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Three Wheeling

mine's a DI. It looks like it came from the factory. I used the oringial speaker covers. They fit perfect. I'll post some pics if you want.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Rock Crawling

yeah definitely post some pictures up.

I think I seen some pictures of the backside of the original speakers and they looked like they had some odd-ball connectors in order to route the wires all the way around to all of the speakers...did you encounter that at all? How did you handle it?

I'd suspect if they do have bizarre connectors, just determine which side is ground and do your best to rig something up...right?

Old 05-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Three Wheeling

I'll get some pics up soon. The rear speakers have an amp connected to them. The amp is screwed into the back of each speaker to hold it in place. I just took some double sided tape and taped the amp to each speaker then ran some scilicone around the edge. I didn't mess with the amp connections at all. I just cut the wires that were connected to the original speakers then connected the wires to the new ones. It took me about 30min to replace the rear speakers.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Maybe I'll pop off the grill this weekend and take a peek at the speaker arrangement. I'd love to upgrade to something better but I'm kind of disgruntled at the lack of choices with this...It'd be nice if there was enough room to sqeeze some 8" drivers in the rear somewhere without hacking the entire vehicle apart.

Quick Reply: disco speakers