Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

disco speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: disco speakers

I hear ya. I would have liked to put some 8's in but just not possible. I didn't wanna drop a crap load of money on the speakers (saving up for grill guard, off road lights, roof rack, brake light covers, ladder) lol. I'll get some pics posted soon. The 6.5's and the 4's I used fit perfect.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Three Wheeling

If you have them one option would be removal of one or both of the rear jump seats and useing the space for a subwoofer box. I have also thought about going up and makeing a box that blocked out the driverside far back window, but that might be alittle far fetched.the last idea i had is to redo the door box, possibly to use an 8" orlarger, or useing JL 6.5" subs, and adding another factory box to the left of the original door box,four 6.5" should add up to two 12". but for me this all has to wait, just put $400 intoo2 sensors, maybeyou guys will have more fun withyour tax money.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: riden686
If you have them one option would be removal of one or both of the rear jump seats and useing the space for a subwoofer box.
That'd be difficult to slide past the wife and kids. I'm kind of digging the jump-seats because when the kids sit back there, I can almost drive peacefully.

the last idea i had is to redo the door box, possibly to use an 8" orlarger, or useing JL 6.5" subs,
This was along the lines that I was thinking, but between all of the maintenance and crap I haven't really had a chance to think about upgrades or modifications yet. I like the idea of trying to maintain a stock look and the functionality, so that pretty much rules out replacing the head-unit. Luckily it looks like automotive sound manufacturers have caught onto these little issues and have come out with sound processors...cool. But that still leaves us with the problem of the best place to stash the woofers and get nice imaging.

I've always been impressed with JL Audio's offerings, I didn't realize they had a 6.5" sub...the only issue(s) I can think of when doing that is...AIR SPACE for the woofers and mounting depth.

I've seen some woofers that have a ridiculously low profile...like I said I haven't really poked around much inside the Disco but maybe there'd be a way of stuffing them under the rear seats. OR, you know what would be awesome is if someone found a way of actually making the woofer enclosure into the jumpseat itself...oh that would be slick...gotta make that happen.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Rock Crawling

Looking at these:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=29

I'd have a tough time believing that we've got enough depth to pop those woofers into the disco.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Three Wheeling

those are the speakers i was talking about, i think they might fit, 4 3/16" is the mount depth, I've been into the door box and it is kinda roomy, but the amp would most likly need to be moved and upgraded. check these out though http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...VT4&tp=111 we'll see how it works when one of us trys one huh.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Those kickers might be promising. In the past I had a free-air system and it didn't work out too well. It was decent, but overall I wasn't impressed with the performance. You would know better than me but I expect the inside of that back door isn't optimal for mounting woofers. It might be possible to actually build a sealed box and conceal it in the door...I don't know I would have to check that out myself.

Whatever approach I take, I'm not going to sacrifice space for bass. The days of filling up the trunk with a big-**** enclosure are over! Aside from that, I don't know about you...but I outgrew the obnoxious car audio system phase years ago...That's not to say I don't think the Disco could use a serious upgrade on the lowend frequencies...I'd like a little thump available to me if I need it. You can take an otherwise crappy system, add a decent woofer and it sounds 80% better!

Most of my tax return money and other cash has gone toward repairs / maintenance on the Disco...and it's only been a member of the family for about 3 weeks now! I think I finally got the majority of the 60K crap out of the way and we're going to take the Disco for 1000 mile drive on Thursday...Assuming all goes well, when I get back I should have some time to investigate this project a little further...

What year is your disco? Mine is 2001. It looks like I've got tweeters in the A-pillars and obviously the woofers in the back...I think there are a few more in the drivers/passenger doors but I haven't poked around much. 6 CD changer and all that. But I'm not sure if it's the upgraded Harmon Kardon system or not.

With the space under the passenger seat, I'd imagine there'd be plenty of space under the driver's seat also for an amp. Alternatively an amp could probably be setup on one or both of the jump seats (if you have them) and wired in such a way to still allow the seat to be functional. Another possibility is perhaps sticking the amp inside that back door...I'm going to have to look at that...possibilities, possibilities. btw-the JL's are the ticket if they'll fit.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Rock Crawling

@riden!
Not sure if you are going to bother checking back on this thread BUT...I came into a few dollars and if I have some time I'm going to look at those 6" woofers. The JL's would be sweet but the other ones may have to be the ticket.

Maybe this weekend I'll look inside that rear door and see how much space we have along with what is driving the existing woofers, ohmage etc.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Rock Crawling

Today I tore that rear-door apart.
It appears that the 2 woofers are GLUED into the plastic enclosure. I took out the 4 torx bolts and I couldn't get the woofer out to get a true measurement of how much depth we're looking at. I say we have roughly 4 3/4" of room to mount a woofer, so both the JL's and the Kickers would work (as far as depth goes).

I'd like to know how much power is going to those stock Disco speakers (my enclosure says Phillips all over it). I'd also like to know the resistance of the speakers. Although unlikely, it may be possible to stuff the JL's or the Kickers into that enclosure, wire them up and have good sound...I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Something else that I notice is...if you were up for a little bit of customizing you could actually probably carve out enough room for at least some 8's if not a 10" woofer.There is plenty ofmetal that could be cut away without hitting any of the mount points.

I'd like to get my hands on JUST the plastic woofer enclosure. From that I can make a fiberglass pod so I don't ruin the original equipment. I just emailed roverland parts. The complete woofer deal is $150, but I don't really want to spend that kind of money unless I absolutely have to.

I was also thinking that some of the room in the little basket attached to the door could be utilized for a small amp and sound processor.

...couple of ideas.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Speakers

Some vehicles will not have all the speakers, the type and location of speakers fitted depends on the trim level and
ICE options specified for the vehicle.

A-post speakers LH/RH (if fitted)

The A-post speakers are located in the A-post trim on each side of the windscreen, and are each protected by a metal
grille. The speakers are held from the rear by a bayonet clip that clamps the speaker on to the A-post trim. The A-post
speakers are a high range type and have a power rating of:

l
Mid line system A-post speakers have a power rating of 15 watts and an impedance of 4 W.
l
High line system A-post speakers have a power rating of 30 watts and an impedance of 4 W.
Upper front and rear door speakers LH/RH (high line system only)

The upper door speakers are located in the upper door trim, the speaker is protected by an integral metal grille. The
speaker is held in by a threaded ring that clamps the speaker from the rear onto the door trim. The upper door speaker
is a mid-range type and has a power rating of 30 watts and an impedance of 4 W.

Lower front door speakers LH/RH

The lower front door speaker is located in the front end of the lower (pocket) trim and is secured by three self tapping
screws. The speaker is protected by a clip on circular metal grille. The type of lower front door speakers fitted depends
on trim level and market:

l
The base and mid line systems are fitted with full-range door speakers with a power rating of 15 watts and an
impedance of 4
W
l
The high line system is fitted with a low-range door speaker with a power rating of 30 watts and an impedance
of 4 W.

Lower rear door speaker LH/RH

The lower rear door speaker is located in the lower door trim and is secured by three self tapping screws. The speaker
is protected by a clip on metal grille. The type of lower rear door speaker fitted depends on trim level and market:

l
The base and mid line systems are fitted with full-range door speakers with a power rating of 15 watts and an
impedance of 4
W
l
The high line system is fitted with a low-range door speaker with a power rating of 30 watts and an impedance
of 4 W.

Low range tail door speakers (high line system only)

The low range tail door speaker are located in a plastic casing in the lower door trim. Each of the two speakers is
secured to the casing with four self tapping screws. The casing is secured to the lower door structure with eight bolts.
The tail door trim surrounds the casing, the front of the casing is covered by a metal grill that is secured with six
screws. The low range tail door speakers have a power rating of 30 watts and has an impedance of 4 W.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Rock Crawling

despite having an affinity for the JL audio woofers, it seems that the Kicker 6.5" woofers are the way to go, being that they are the free-air design, they should do much better than a woofer calling for a specific volume in a sealed or ported enclosure.

Being that the existing woofers are (at best) 30 watts, I doubt that the kickers would sound very good without a better amp driving them. The tricky thing is that the workshop manual is showing all of the speakers connecting directly to the H/U...but obviously with an amplifier that isn't true. So the thing is determining what the pinouts on the amp are and then buying an aftermarket amp that is more powerful and simply recreate the pinouts.

Quick Reply: disco speakers