Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

2001 Dll Mild Ambitious Build

Old 02-19-2017, 10:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

You know it would've ended up in a bone yard if you hadn't picked it up......... another saved. That's the beauty of a Rover, in the right hands it's an excellent vehicle. Yours is in good hands, great to see you get into it AND keep your job at the same time while talking to the Super. I can't see the seam.

There's a guy here that wants to hit the tank trails in Grayling this summer with his club, I'll PM you when they make their plans. I'll probably be Scout since I've been there done that too many times. I prefer HMMV's but hey, it'll be a challenge this way. There's also this very fine venue - Twisted Trails | Twisted Trails Off Road Park and they don't see many Rovers, need a few to show em how it's done.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Yes, it's been somewhat enjoyable bringing her back from the dead. And she'll be fine for what I have intended for her...up north trail cruiser. Nothing extreme, just enough to keep things interesting. Keep thinking I should put 285/75's on her, but will probably go with 265's...since my wife will be driving it sometimes (until her's is up and running).

The tank trail sounds interesting, please keep me in the loop...and Grayling is just a few hours away. Plus, when we're in the area, the diner up town is one of my favorite places to have breakfast...and Spikes is always a good place for a beer and burger. Twisted trails looks fun, too.

Brian.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Default You never know what type of beast lie lurking in the night...

Scored some new shoes, 265/75R16 M/T, used/take-offs (50 miles).

Adds a bit of meanness to the beast from the east.

EDIT: WOW, this is definitely what this truck needed...doesn't feel like a John Deere off the light.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 03-07-2017 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Camel Trophy

She still fits in the garage, barely. The roof rack I'm making will have to be modest...or it's outside forever.

Been working on the winch plate, which will go beneath the upper portion of the bumper. The lower center section is just tacked in and will be removed for winch plate. I'm going to 45 the two vertical mounts at the bottom, after removing the center piece, this should give it a bit more approach-angle.

Still looking for something to fill this black hole on my wife's Discovery.

Brian.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Natural habitat walk.

Tire test, they seemed to work fine.

Glamor shot.

Was hoping to do a little trail riding on some local state land, but all trails are gated. So, trash dumpers have ruined another outdoor activity. Granted, it was nice to get the Discovery into the woods, as close as I could get.

Brian.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Looking good, to bad about the trails.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:07 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Looking good, to bad about the trails.
Yes, our conservation group, RGS (Ruffed Grouse Society) and PF (Pheasants Forever), use to do all kinds of clean up/habitat projects out there, and there were two trails left open. But, those two are closed now.

Sucks, because it's within a few miles of the house.

Brian.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:27 AM
Camel Trophy

Since all of the trails are closed on the state land...and my wife left for the horse barn...I felt as though this would be a good/safe time to make my own trails out back in the field. Yes, pretty boring stuff...but one ditch crossing keeps the Discovery worthy of its Land Rover traditions.

Ditch crossing, doesn't look that deep in the picture...but it *** drags going in.

Traction control was doing its job to get out of the ditch after stopping. Since I'd not activated the CDL underneath. Plus, these tires wouldn't exactly be my tire of choice for snow covered, frozen ground.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 03-18-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Installed top-secret weapon...

One that only 007, the Russians and I know about.

I'd been messing around with an electric solenoid to activate the CDL, but it seemed to Nancy-fancy, so I went the easier route and made the more Stanley-manly Greg Davis linkage.

Added this, just so I could pose as an off-road type of guy.

Side note...

As you can imagine, you have to disassemble the console...and after finishing up...my wife asked me why I didn't clean up the rubber mat and such. Told her...most of this area will under water by a few feet one of these days...so why bother...lol.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 04-02-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Test drive.

Drove into the field a little ways, we've had a ton of rain here over the last few days...so it is like a swamp.

All I can say is..."I LIKE THE CDL OPTION!" These ruts were well over a foot deep, and she walked out of the mud like a hero.

Brian.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Dll Mild Ambitious Build