Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

2002 - Goldie Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 2002 - Goldie Build

Hey guys, new here, but figured I'd start a build thread. Want to keep track of what I'm doing and hopefully get a little help and insight and possibly help anybody else out who may try the same with theirs. Bone stock 2002 Disco 2 I bought for $900 from an older guy who never took it off-road and took pretty good care of it. It's got a few leaks that he said he was getting too old to worry about anymore. Transfer case is stuck in 4hi. I figure since he's never shifted it into 4lo it's probably seized. Plan was to put a CDL transfer case in it so no big deal. Crawled underneath it this weekend to do some looking around. Very little rust... Happy about that! Looks like the front drive shaft has zerk fittings on it, so he's taken care of one of the major issues.

While I'm under here I decide to change out the fluids in the diffs and transfer case. Got the fluids changed out in the front and rear diffs. the fluid looked pretty clean, but not knowing all of the history I changed it all out to 85w-140. On to the transfer case. Holy hell, who put the fill plug in?.... Took 2 hours or fighting with it to eventually get it off. I start to drain the fluid and only about 1/2 cup comes out. Well damn... I decide to pull the cover off the transfer case to take a look and see how bad the damage is. Wonder how long it's been low on fluid. Doesn't look too bad, but I'm no expert, what do you guys think? Should get me by until I can do a cdl swap??

I've started replacing some small trim pieces that are cracked or missing. Can't wait to get started.

Plan on lifting it 2" maybe 3". Still debating which lift kit to go with OME or TF.
New front drive shaft
16" wheels and new tires
Roof Rack
Rear Ladder
Rear cargo storage
New bumpers
Winch

Old 10-30-2019, 05:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I’d say put in new fluid and drive it. Have fun with the build.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:17 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

Transfer cases are pretty durable - I agree fill it back up and you should be good

Old 11-03-2019, 04:42 PM
Mudding

Was able to get the fluid in the transfer case done today and greased the zerk fittings on the driveshafts. Took it for a test drive and it drives much quieter now. I was hearing a humming noise as I'd accelerate and it would go away when I let off the gas. Pretty sure it was the transfer case gears humming with no fluid. I ordered an UltraGauge Blue, it came in while I was traveling. Decided to give it a try during the test drive, so I could check the temperatures on the engine. Temperature shot up to about 212. Good thing I ordered the 180 degree thermostat. When I got home I went ahead and swapped the thermostat out and took it back out for a drive. Highest it got was 190 degrees while I was sitting in line at Hardee's. Cruising it hovers around 183 degrees. It's a noticeable difference when you get out and get near the hood.

Got a Tom Woods driveshaft in the mail while I was traveling for work. I think I kinda did that backward. Shoulda ordered the lift kit first. I guess that will be the next thing ordered. I'm still waffling between the OME and the TF. I want a 3" lift, but the OME only comes in 2" and from what I'm reading very few get close to a full 2".
Does anybody with a 2" lift wish they had gone with a 3"? I don't want to get a 2" and then regret not getting a 3" lift.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

My gray 03 had a 3" inch lift, 2" springs and 1" spacers. Seemed just right to me, even had both sway bars removed and seemed stable enough on the road. Had 265/75's on her, but always inteded on going 285's next time around...but...that never happen. Me and this Dll got off to a rocky start...and it contunied to the point that she beat me down. It had a bad frame, rear section, when l bought it and l planned on welding in a new section, but after all of the other issues...she got scrapped.

Second picture is my 01 White Gold Dll...her and l had specially times. Still miss her, never left me stranded once.

Good luck with your build.

Brian.

The following 2 users liked this post by The Deputy:
Richard Gallant (11-06-2019), soarvet (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 10:25 AM

Here is my 04 :

2 inch Terrafirma MD springs and OME nitro charger shocks 2 years and so far has always got me home.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 763 Likes on 499 Posts

this was on an old tired 3" OME lift running 285/75/16s so was probably about a 2" lift if not less at this point. With the sway bars disconnected/removed these become a totally different monster.

edit: side profile shot is with the +3" TF adjustable shocks and 1" spring spacers on all 4 corners.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 - Goldie Build-rover5.jpg   2002 - Goldie Build-029a4157.jpg   2002 - Goldie Build-029a4192.jpg  
Old 11-15-2019, 09:44 PM
Mudding

I’m starting to get a nice collection of parts showing up. 5 new tires and rims. Ended up going with the 3” terra Firma lift with brake lines. Ordered new coil packs, spark plugs and wires. I also have a CDL transfer case from an 04 coming in tomorrow. Question is... do I swap the transfer case or just swap out the output shaft from the 04 and throw it on the 02 transfer case? Is there anything better on the 04 transfer case other than CDL? I know the hi/low solenoid is in a different spot on the 04 compared to the 02 case, is one better than the other in terms of going bad? My solenoid on the 02 is bad, so I’m having issues shifting into 4lo.
I’ll probably end up ordering the head gasket kit with head bolts, so I can do all that and then change out the coil packs in the process.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:32 PM

@soarvet could be just be dry linkages and cables, you can see them from underneath and hit them all with a good spray lube. Then just get in 4 low drive a few feet, backout drive a few feet and repeat 5 or 6 times it should be easier. I do this every month just to keep things happy, but sometimes I have to go itno neutral then reverse and back to get nice clean move

Old 12-02-2019, 09:31 PM
Mudding

Well, I decided to swap the whole transfer case. After starting to tear into the 02 transfer case after I got it removed I think the 04 transfer case is in a bit better shape. Ordered and Ashcroft CDL linkage to put on it. While it was Black Friday and I could capitalize on the free shipping I ordered new terrafirma shock towers, head gasket kit with head bolts. Should all be here by Thursday, then the fun will begin.
Let me tell you, taking the transfer case out is a real PITA by yourself. I must have twisted off 3-4 bolts with rusted nuts from the exhaust pipe. Should be real fun mounting the new transfer case.

Quick Reply: 2002 - Goldie Build