Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Another Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 09:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Another Grand Cherokee

Hey folks, just a small update with a former Landy owner. I've been looking for a LR3/LR4/RR Sport for some time, something that was a project because I need distractions. They didn't materialize so at the end of March I saw a 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.7 Hemi on CL for $2k, it had a transmission issue where it wouldn't go past third gear and the owner was selling it thinking it had a bad transmission. I know from my sons Dodges that the newer transmissions are solenoid shifted, basically all the same transmission throughout the line. Finally talked to the owner of the Heep and he had bought a solenoid pac for the transmission from Mopar. 155k miles it's about that time for a new one. Ended up buying the Heep and the solenoid pac off him for his asking price because it's a 5.7 Hemi, pretty rare they come up for sale. Had to remove the valve body on the 545RFE trans, remove the old solenoid block and install the new one, fill and test. All five gears and this thing is a cream puff. I'm the fourth owner, originally owned by an older couple in Tampa Florida for 14 years. Second owner neglected it somewhat but it was still serviced at a Chrysler Dealer. So far it's had it's struts/springs/shocks replaced, fluids replaced and will get a new CV for the front drive shaft next weekend to remove a small vibration. Everything is original except for the water pump, thermostat and heater core and all parts have been documented on CarFax as being dealer or auto shop replaced. This thing HAULS *** and has so many options like auto wipers and lights, heated leather gazillion position seats, pedal location, sunroof and navigation. It's 16 years old so it's basically just a small parts as needed rehab/refresh. It's one of the best projects I've owned concerning initial price and overall condition. Wheels have been replaced with the Rubicons I had on the other Heep since these pics, this is when I first brought it home. It's something I can drive to work and back and not worry about and the parts availability is outstanding. Would've been crazy not to jump on this.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:59 PM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

double Jeeps. Nice find. I like the color and the price was right.

I'm in the market for something similar to use this summer now that we have four drivers in the family. Will also send it to college with my eldest next year.

Good to hear from you amigo!

Old 04-25-2021, 06:44 PM
Camel Trophy

I miss the forum, was my daily go to site and I still poke around to see if I can throw out some useful bits.

The gold Jeep I sold to my work and I’ll be driving it! It’s going to be my new field truck. I’m replacing the head on it before it goes.

Yes, Heep II was a good deal and the midnight blue pearl at the time of that pic hadn’t been polished or waxed in a long time. Now it’s been polished and the sun sets it ablaze.

I haven’t had much time to play around in recent years, nice to have something fun to make right again. Not sure what it’s future will be, just getting it factory square again.

The weather has been my biggest problem at work and home. Can’t plan around it, work through it instead.

I’ll be honest, if wasn’t for the Hemi I wouldn’t have bought it, was looking at newer Grands, had a down payment ready. When this showed up I figured I’ll hold onto the the bank account and just make use of this for awhile if it doesn’t cost much to maintain.

Good to hear from you too Walt, been ages....

Old 04-27-2021, 09:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

It sounds like a great deal, especially if there’s no rust. I had an 07 Chrysler aspen with the Hemi for my wife and we really liked it. The power and ride was great. Just rusted away on us though. Keep her oiled up and watch out for front wheel bearings, rear differential and cylinder shutdown solenoids if it has that system, it might not of in 05. For the price you paid it’s a steal.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:07 AM
Camel Trophy

First thing I did before buying was get under it looking for rust, almost none. It came up here from Florida and it shows. It will drop cylinders, read about the issues and solenoids is one. Going through fluid changes soon to inspect. It’s had mucho dealer care throughout its lifetime and fluid changes are mentioned in the CarFax report. The only thing left is to fix a driveline hum, have the front shaft CV kit, see if that does it. If not I’ll check hubs, u-joints and bushings while under it this weekend doing the the CV replacement. I don’t mind putting time and cash into this, it’s worth it at the buy-in cost.

The following 2 users liked this post by ihscouts:
Richard Gallant (04-28-2021), The Deputy (05-03-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 10:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm a fan of getting vehicles for cheap and only having to do minor work to get them back up and running!

Nice work sir.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:44 PM
Camel Trophy

It’s kept me out of trouble and learning, it’s what I do for a living. The only code that remains is for an open circuit on the drivers side heated mirror.... lol. Wanted a vehicle that can handle the weather and roads year round here, same reasoning on buying the Disco.