Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Disco 3 from stock to......

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I took a few minutes to look at how and where to mount the rear Hella LED floods. The where and the how actually turned out to be extremely straightforward. Nice having the other truck set up already with things that will be off and back on transfers to allow for figuring stuff like this out. Saves me a drive across town. Plus I can go ahead and get them mounted now and they just transfer over when I move the rack to the new LR3 that is prewired and ready to plug in

I ordered a couple of bar clamp mounts I will mount them backwards on the rear roof rack crossbar. This will keep them clear of the upper hatch when it's open and still provide some solid rear illumination.

I think if have decided to keep them more central on the mounting with a slight angle outboard on each light. I dig the look and from a test hit connected to a battery I think it will do the trick.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 05-14-2020 at 08:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 10:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 766 Likes on 502 Posts

I'm curious how the 7" rounds work, the price is right and I'd love to fill out my roof rack. I absolutely love having a nice rear facing light (have a baja designs squadron sport in amber) that doubles as a reverse and dust light.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

I think a pair of the 7" will eventually find their way to the front bumper on this truck. I have to imagine they push even more light than the FF500's and these lights are extremely impressive for their price point.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

The ham radio arrived finally yesterday. I did a quick look at where I want to mount the radio up and it is spot on. Handy having an LR3 that isn't dismantled. I like the placement in the center console and it will tuck in nice and neat behind the Proud Rhino Switch plate. With it's mounting plate screwed into the console a up angle on the radio will keep it readable and the buttons accessible.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 11:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

[QUOTE=ArmyRover;729602]The ham radio arrived finally yesterday. I did a quick look at where I want to mount the radio up and it is spot on...[QUOTE]
How do you like the Leixen, and that spot is where I keep my IIDTool but that can always be moved, good work! 73...

Old 05-15-2020, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

I will let you know on the radio. I've been a baofeng handheld guy for awhile and happy with those. Would have bought a vehicle mount radio from them if I found one.
​​reviews seemed good on this one so for $55 to my door it was worth a shot. Also it was small enough to fit where I wanted it.

Thanks and glad folks are following along with my bad decision live feed on here

Old 05-15-2020, 01:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Well my stuff has always been Yaesu, but this Chinese stuff is so inexpensive that I've been sorely tempted, especially lately. Since retirement my income has been severely retarded, but thank goodness not "redacted" so at least I can think of amateur radio toys...

Old 05-15-2020, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

The little baofeng uv5r I think it is has been an amazing bang for the buck and fantastic for between the trucks coms when on the trail especially overland trips when distance can be a factor. Charging the batteries is a pain in the car charger though so it had me looking for a mountable option that still covered the GMRS frequency as well.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Got the Headliner and Sun visors dropped off at the upholstery shop today for the price they quoted it would have cost me more to do it myself most likely. Lots of good reviews so lets hope I can add one soon. Should be ready for pick up Monday.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Cool

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
The little baofeng uv5r I think it is has been an amazing bang for the buck and fantastic for between the trucks coms when on the trail especially overland trips when distance can be a factor. Charging the batteries is a pain in the car charger though so it had me looking for a mountable option that still covered the GMRS frequency as well.
Well, I'm a bit skeptical so just ordered a UV-5R and will wait to see what it's like, I have a hard time believing a $25 radio is any good, but do have an IFR 1200 to test it all out. I have not paid much attention to the recent advances in manufacturing though, so it's quite likely that I'm basically a "Luddite" concerning the last 10 years of amateur radio technology...

Quick Reply: Disco 3 from stock to......