Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

DiscoCam's D2 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Drove the D2 this morning. When I parked it, I noticed that I was making somewhat of a knocking sound at idle.... Ah man, this can't be good. It was kinda intermittent, would knock a few times then stop, then knock again. Not sure what it is, hoping just a bad lifter or something but I have a feeling it's more than that. The "waterfall" sound won't seem to go away, not sure if it's because I can't bleed it or because exhaust is getting into the cooling system. Gonna buy a coolant test kit to find out. Also, at idle, it seems to run a little rougher than I would like, almost like a misfire. So I'm going to check the plugs this weekend. So it looks like there's going to be more repairing before the building happens.
Any tips?

Old 02-09-2018, 03:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have the day off so I’ve been trying to figure out this knocking problem. I changed the oil again to Rotella 15w-40 and the noise has almost completely gone away. So I’m guessing I have a lifter problem. If that’s the case, I will probably go ahead and order a new set of lifters and a head gasket kit from Lucky8. I just noticed the knocking this morning, definitely was not there when I bought the truck. So odd.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Hope it'ds nothing too serious. I'd probably do a compression test and hook up a mechanical oil guage to get a base-line on the condition of the engine...before disassembling anything. Doing the other tests you mentioned will help put things into perspective also.

Had the same type of issue with our 03, bought it, changed oil...ticking/knocking started...changed back to heavier oil and somewhat subsided. But, never really went away. Ended up replacing engine, had three slipped liners, and the bearings and crank looked as though gravel had been ran through them. Have no idea what the previous owner had dumped into it...to quiet it down...but it worked long enough for this dumby to come along and buy it...lol.

Brian.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Hope it'ds nothing too serious. I'd probably do a compression test and hook up a mechanical oil guage to get a base-line on the condition of the engine...before disassembling anything. Doing the other tests you mentioned will help put things into perspective also.

Had the same type of issue with our 03, bought it, changed oil...ticking/knocking started...changed back to heavier oil and somewhat subsided. But, never really went away. Ended up replacing engine, had three slipped liners, and the bearings and crank looked as though gravel had been ran through them. Have no idea what the previous owner had dumped into it...to quiet it down...but it worked long enough for this dumby to come along and buy it...lol.

Brian.
Just pulled the plugs to see what’s going on. Looks like it has 6 relatively new BOSCH platinums and 2 old and worn out AutoLite Platinums. Not sure why somebody would go through the effort of changing plugs and wires and only do 6 plugs. I’m hoping that this is the problem. My guess is that the air fuel mixture was detonating at the incorrect time causing a knock. I’m running Shell VPower 91 octane in this so I’m sure the gas is good. For those of you that don’t know, 91 is the highest you can get in CA, no 92 or 93 is available unfortunately. The station I get it from is always busy and it’s only a few years old so I’m sure the gas is good. Doesn’t look like it has been burning coolant either as the plugs look relatively normal, but take a look at the attached picture just in case I missed something. I have new plugs from amazon in the way, supposed to be delivered later today.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I put in the new plugs, still getting a knock... Darn. I checked the compression before I put in the new plugs, seems to be all good, just about 150psi across the board. Still have to test the coolant. Then I'll go from there. Definitely coming from the driver's side. I'm thinking it could be rod bearings.

Last edited by DiscoCam; 02-10-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:30 AM
Camel Trophy

Yeah, plugs look pretty normal, beside gap on top-right plug. Compression reading seem okay, and I always like to start with that to determine condition of engine.

Rod bearing noise, normally, doesn't come and go. Maybe sound different at different engine temps, but usually is still there. Maybe you should run some Rislone engine treatment through it, in hopes that it may be a bad lifter...that just needs some cleaning. Oil pressure gauge will help narrow down your search, too. You keep using the term "knock" and not "tick", so I'm assuming the noise is more in the bottom end. Lifter noise rarely sounds heavy, like knock.

Drowned my 01 pretty bad about a month ago, drew water into the cylinder to the point it compressed fluid...had serious lifter noise and miss afterwards, thought I'd be digging into the engine, but dumped some Rislone in, changed oil twice and it's been quiet ever since (fingers still crossed, probably just jinxed myself).

Brian.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default It's Been a While

Well it's been nearly a year since I've updated this. My bad. 2018 has been a little rough and crazy, but that's ok. I am hopeful for a great 2019!

I still have the D2; it's been the best LR that I've owned.

Here's the breakdown on what has happened so far:

1. The knock:
-I still have no idea what it was. I started with the basics so I checked all of the pulleys on the accessory drive. Long story short, the crank pulley was wobbling, idler pulley bearing was bad, tensioner bearing was also bad, water pump had play in the shaft,
and the AC compressor clutch bearing made a grinding noise. So I replaced all of the offending parts and the sound seems to have (mostly) gone away. Sometimes I feel like I'm hearing it again, but I think I'm just going insane.
Engine performance is excellent overall, it feels quite powerful in comparison to my previous 4.0 D1 and 4.6 D2.

2. Mods:
-I have had terrafirma HD shocks on since about a month after I purchased the truck. Overall, they are doing great except that all the paint has come off of the rear shocks, and they have rusted.
The rust actually looks pretty bad, like near perforation so that's pretty disappointing. The front ones are fine though. Such a shame because these shocks perform pretty good. I'll probably swap out the rear shocks soon (either OME or Bilstein).

-Inline thermostat mod is great as usually. I have converted it green coolant and added water. Temps have been between 177-185*F from the UltraGauge. Only thing is that the waterfall sound refuses to leave. no matter what I do. Oh well.

-Installed a Britpart front winch bumper. Also have a smittybilt winch coming soon to go with it. Really wanted an ARB, but it just too pricey. This one is lighter and is also winch compatible so I won't complain.
I purchased this back in September and I am very happy with it so far.

-I added a CDL from a D1 in February I believe. That was actually a little difficult to do, but it works perfectly now; really easy to operate.
While I was at it, I added some sound insulation to the transmission tunnel and new leather boots for the transfer case shifter and handbrake.

-Headliner has been painted black. I was kinda forced to pull it out earlier than I expected because the rear sunroof started leaking, so that had to be addressed. Also added insulation to the roof.

-I pulled out all of the "SE7" spec extras that I don't really need like the running boards and third row seats.

-Replaced the rear drive shaft with the 4-bolt U-joint type from the later D1s. This ended up being kind of a pain because one of the bolts at the transfer case flange
had rounded off and it wasn't fun to get to. But considering that the suspension is lifted, I felt that a UJ drive shaft was necessary.

- I swapped out the stock SLABS for an 04 SLABS that didn't have air suspension. Traction control works noticeable better with this SLABS.

- Probably one of my favorite mods. Replaced the stock transmission pan with one from a D1. So now I have a transmission dipstick. I believe I got this from Paul Grant.

There's probably more that I am forgetting.

3. Repairs
- The hood was kinda mangled and didn't close well. Not really sure why, there isn't any signs of a previous wreck or anything. But it bothered me enough to find a used hood that was the same color.
Also did a plasti-dip hood blackout for the raised part of the hood.

-Had to fix the shuttlevalve for the ABS, pretty typical and easy fix. Also replaced an ABS sensor to finally get rid of them 3 amigos.

-Original radiator was leaking so I replaced it with a $70 eBay unit. It actually seems like a quality product so we shall see how it holds up.

-Sunroofs didn't open and leaked. Threw in some used motors and fixed the leaks.

-engine accessory drive was gone through, lots of new parts there.

-Also changed out a drag link end. Probably will upgrade the tie rod and drag link to the terrafirma ones.

-Replaced the TB heater gasket. From my experience, I will probably need to do this again lol.

Again, I'm sure I've missed some stuff.

4. Trips

Done three trips with this truck. First was the Rubicon. Now to be clear, I didn't actually do the trail. Didn't have a second vehicle so it probably wasn't very smart to go solo. That's why I only went to the entrance. Planning a trip for this summer with some of my 4x4 buddies so hopefully Rubicon is a go this year.

Second was Pismo Dunes. This truck actually does really well in the dunes. Got stuck once, but was able to reverse out of it. Dunes are a ton of fun.

The third trip was also to the dunes. Just went last week actually. I got stuck again, but somehow it crawled out if it.

I am sorry that I haven't updated this thread. Life just got really crazy, totally slipped my mind. I want to be better about updating the thread this year.

Keep on Roverin' my friends. I'll post an update when the winch is installed.

New shocks

Rubicon

sunroof leak

trans dipstick

Holister Hills

New hood

At Pismo Dunes

Steering Damper

New bumper

At the Rubicon

radiator R&R

Rear DS

Last edited by DiscoCam; 01-06-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:41 AM
Camel Trophy

Thank you, for the update. Glad to see you are still building. Rover looks great, keep up the good work...and good luck at the Rubicon!

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Looks great keep on Rover-in

Old 01-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks guys. Again, I feel bad for neglecting this build thread. My bad.

Upcoming mods for this year are going to start off with a new Pioneer single din stereo. Bluetooth is really convenient, and well those cassette adapters aren't really. Hoping to get that in this week. Also going to try and get the steering wheel controls to stay functional.

Winch is coming in this week as well; planning to install that over the weekend.

Also want to replace my rear bumper with a steel one to match the front. Not sure when this is happening, but I hope sooner rather than later.

Quick Reply: DiscoCam's D2 Build Thread