Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

DiscoCam's D2 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I need to finish wiring my winch in. It all takes time. Hoping to get it done in time for Romp

Old 01-11-2019, 10:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 260 Likes on 173 Posts

Cool read. And you actually forced me to read it as I was like “there is no way that truck as it sits is running the Rubicon”.

Goals are good, but don’t underestimate that trail- I was flown out in a helicopter my first run. And be prepared for damage (just be prepared in general) as it is not easy- regardless of how much “fill” they’ve put in recently.

Best of luck as you move forward.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by longtallsally
Cool read. And you actually forced me to read it as I was like “there is no way that truck as it sits is running the Rubicon”.

Goals are good, but don’t underestimate that trail- I was flown out in a helicopter my first run. And be prepared for damage (just be prepared in general) as it is not easy- regardless of how much “fill” they’ve put in recently.

Best of luck as you move forward.
Yeah it's definitely not ready for that sort of trail yet, but it's getting there. And TBH I don't think that I would do the entire trail; I'll chicken out and turn back once it gets too gnarly.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle

It gets gnarly at the Gatekeeper. This was my first run in ‘05. They’ve since dynamited the main boulders there, but this is how it was in ‘12. I didn’t get any pics of it from my last run, but you get the idea. It only gets worse from there. If you’re fully locked, armored, and don’t mind some good dings and bring a lot of spares, I’d do it in a D2.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

I've brought a saw, shovel, axe, chainsaw, hatchet...but never thought of bringing dynamite.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! The forest service did it to keep looky loos from gathering around the obstacle and watching the carnage. In all the infinite stupidity of the state, they also were flying in loads of rocks to “smooth out” the trail and even killed 3/4s of Little Sluice. There are sections that are now almost gravel roads. Kinda pathetic.

Hey I wanted to mention one thing I learned- you confirmed that the ‘04 SLABS makes for better traction control. My only problem is that I don’t think I can go to one since I’ve got ACE and airbags in the rear.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by longtallsally;676210[left
Hey I wanted to mention one thing I learned- you confirmed that the ‘04 SLABS makes for better traction control. My only problem is that I don’t think I can go to one since I’ve got ACE and airbags in the rear.
I don’t have ACE, but this truck did have air suspension at some point. But nobody ever reprogrammed the SLABS or got rid of the air compressor, so it was killing batteries all the time. Swapping it out for a non-SLS unit ended up being cheaper than getting it reprogrammed, and I got the slightly better TC.

Eventually I would like to have twin lockers. Probably necessary for completing the Rubicon, but for now the CDL and good TC is enough for me.

Finally was was able to install a winch in that front bumper over the weekend. The only annoying part of the install was trimming the grill, otherwise it was pretty straight forward.

It’s a Smittybilt XRC 9500[/left]

Old 01-14-2019, 07:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Also forgot to mention. Looks like my headlight switch just went out. The dash lights don't turn on anymore with the headlights. All the fuses and exterior bulbs are good, so I pretty sure that the switch in the culprit.

It looks pretty nasty inside of it too. I cleaned the contacts and put it back together but it still didn't work; I guess it's just too far gone. Oh well, there goes $50 for a new one.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
I've brought a saw, shovel, axe, chainsaw, hatchet...but never thought of bringing dynamite.

Amateur

Old 01-15-2019, 10:37 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
Also forgot to mention. Looks like my headlight switch just went out. The dash lights don't turn on anymore with the headlights. All the fuses and exterior bulbs are good, so I pretty sure that the switch in the culprit.

It looks pretty nasty inside of it too. I cleaned the contacts and put it back together but it still didn't work; I guess it's just too far gone. Oh well, there goes $50 for a new one.
Check your tail and rear brake lights. IIRC the system is designed to cut the dash lights if the tails are not working as signal to the driver

Quick Reply: DiscoCam's D2 Build Thread