Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Discovery 2 Sunroof Leaking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 11:02 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Discovery 2 Sunroof Leaking.

Unless You stick Your hand to the glass and feel water coming from the rubber seal, LEAVE IT ALONE. If You have water coming in, its more than likely coming from the outer seal on top of the cab. Note the outer seal in nothing but a thin layer of urethane.
1. Remove the Headliner.
2. Remove the Sunroof Motor (3 screws, and disconnect the wiring (connector).
3. Cut the tubes at the closest point to the drain port. Do not try to save the hose by pulling it off the nipple. You will crack the nipple & You'll have plenty of hose length and cutting a 1" won't make it too short. If it does, get a hose connector and some hose.
4. Remove the 14 star screws holding the sunroof pan in. The Sunroof Pan should come right down. The screws closest to the drain nipples could be rusted/seized and very tough to remove. I only had 1 give me a problem.
5. Push up on the sunroof, and at this point the whole module should be free, and You can remove the sunroof and have revealed the bead of goo has completely disintegrated.
5a. Pull the Sunroof out on a angle (because the Sunroof won't come out straight up due to the track), and move to towards the rear of the vehicle, this will give the tracks clearance and the entire sunroof module is out and in your hands.
6. clean the top of the roof, where the seal was, there won't be much there, I used a rag and isopropyl alcohol.
6a. Clean the mating surface on the sunroof module.
7. lay a bead of sealant on the sheet metal opening (all the way around) on the top of the vehicle. (Your choice as along as its waterproof). You don't need a lot, but I used a lot (because I wanted to ensure a water tight seal). Just means more cleanup.
8. Get some help, and have a person help You put the Sunroof Module back in the same way it came out, being careful not to smear your caulk bead.
9. Clean out the Sunroof Pan, inspect it for sealant degradation, and add some sealant at the joints for insurance.
10. Using the 14 screws, re-attach the sunroof drain pan.
11. Go back up top and clean away the sealant that squished out around the Sunroof.
12. Put the Motor back on & reconnect the wires.
13. Test the Sun-roof.
14. Do not hook the drain tubes up until You have tested the Sunroof with water, rain, and driving under rain. This is in case You still have a leak, or need to address another issue with the work.

Clean off old bead.

Note 1. Do This, and You likely will not need to worry about your water drains again, nor will water be dumping directly onto the motor causing it to corrode.
Note 2. When You have the Sunroof module out, You might have the urge to remove the track from the glass. DON'T Unless there is some apparent reason to do this. It will only add the complication of screwing with old fasteners and the fastener glass seals.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (08-09-2021)