Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

My 1992 D1 rescue, pic heavy and long....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My 1992 D1 rescue, pic heavy and long....

It all started in 2012 with the desire for a project Land Rover.

A little bit of copy and paste from elsewhere to bring you guys in the US of A the story of my trials and tribulations.

So this is my project, Rusty.

Land Rover Discovery 1 1992 200Tdi diesel.

Not too bad looking from the outside, but that's just the beginning!!

This was initial nightmare!!! A careless welder had set fire to the foam insulation on the bulk head and it burned out most of the L/H loom and affected nearly all the circuits in one way or another!!

I am by no means deterred by any of the work I have done on Rusty and many have said that I was robbed when I paid 1200 euro for him but on the other hand I also know the types of people that were looking at him when he was burned out and a non runner!!! All they are looking at is the chance to double their money selling the engine and transmission on to someone else and scrap the rest, but I not only wanted to make him run again, which I have but I want to make him better than he was when new.

I was busy doing some of this...

So once stripped out I got to see what I was dealing with, and it wasn't pretty!!!

So bad bits cut out and it was time to cut and paste it all back together again.

Notice there are a couple of extra cables in the new loom section for a time when I build a roof console to fit even more gadgets in to the truck.

So with the wiring all finished it was time to see if he started......

Video is unavailable thanks to PhotoBucket holding pix & vids to ransom.

So for the first time in over 7 months of being stood waiting for someone to send him to the scrap yard I started him with the aid of my little van as the battery although was fully charged had a dead cell so was useless and in need of replacement.

So with the wiring done I needed to turn my attention to the welding!!!

Old 09-17-2019, 05:49 PM
Three Wheeling

This is just one hole that I knew of but it didn't stop me wondering why on earth the boot floor was not replaced a few years ago when it first rotted through, the little tabs you see are tin strips that are stuck down with silicone, poor effort just to get through the Kuering!!!

So it went from this...

To this.....

Then on to this.....

Fully seam welded in with some plating done along the edges to replace rotten metal, I had to replace the floor supports as they were rotten beyond salvage but before the boot floor went in I had to deal with this....

All cut out well nearly, as I opted to do a two piece repair as to save the suspension geometry as it can and usually does move!!!

Now I stumbled upon a problem, I needed two more matching 235/75 15" General Grabber for the back axle to replace the racing slicks it came with and the thing is they don't make them anymore and finding them in that size was not to be done so I devised a new plan and wanting to fit taller tyres to give a little diff clearance I decided to fit the 24 spline axles from my old V8 Disco to enable me to use the nice silver deep dish alloys in 16", and well Cooper STT look splendid on them!! This is swapping the back axle and the new tyres....

And new one going in..

And these are the new tyres against the old ones!!

So I still have a million things left to do but the front axle is now top of my list as the old compomotive alloys are sold to another forum member.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

You'll need to repost/rehost your pics. The server doesn't allow proxy linking. Sounds like a great story.

The following users liked this post:
Nigelw (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 07:14 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ahab
You'll need to repost/rehost your pics. The server doesn't allow proxy linking. Sounds like a great story.
Edit when home, it verked happily on laptop last night