Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

my 98 disco1

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a bad deal for a snorkel at all...I just don't see myself in a situation where I would ever need one.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Baja
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I have thought that before, had a 78 Chevy step side on a 4" suspension and 33" tires had the stock air cleaner with the plastic tube to behind the headlight drove across a creek with no problem low bank on the first side crossed over then climb the other bank, on the way back came to the same creek as I went to enter slowly from the steeper bank it dropped off and the trucks nose went below water level for a second and it sucked in water, locked the engine up, got pulled across pulled the plugs on the spot and cranked the engine to watch water spewing out all 8 holes, by the end of the day the engine was smoking insane bad and I ended up having to rebuild

I do not look to drive in deep water but you never know what's gonna happen and my engine is worth more then $185, a few weeks back I drove through a big mud puddle and there is staining inside the air horn where some got into the air box that is a crap location for the air intake

also last year where I work in Va. we had major flooding bad the water was over the hood of my police car

Old 05-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Pro Wrench

That is a very good point...and they look cool. You get water to the air box on a rover you will be in trouble with the ECU but you just might have made a pretty good case for that snorkel (and a waterproof ecu case). I'd love to see pics when its installed. I bet it would look pretty sweet on my rig too

Old 05-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Baja

need to find a diy thread to waterproof the ecm/ electric system

Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Pro Wrench

There is one on here. Lucky8 also does ecu waterproofing. Dielectric grease generously on all connectors. Don't forget breather extensions

Old 05-15-2013, 04:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mechanic contacted Lucky8 about the waterproofed ECU and said they stopped making it due to overheating issues? I never verified myself, but FYI. I'm looking for a way to seal it up myself...probs just a lot of dielectric.

Looks just like my Safari snorkel, just not stamped on the outside (390AA vs the 390HF part from Safari). When I got mine from Rovers North it came with the wrong template...be sure to mock everything up before you start cutting into the fender - mine is now a swiss cheese disaster beneath the plastic. Grab a deburring tool to smooth out the cuts, and then cover with some touch-up paint. I went through a couple dewalt hole saw mandrels (the center drill) for some reasons. I've got a digital copy of the template from the ARB/safari guys if the one you received doesn't look right - no guarantees it's for the same, but everything in the pic looks like a Safari. The air hose between the MAF and plenum needs a little trimming, though you might try to do it without. Also, had to rotate my MAF outboard so it wasn't pushing against my oil dipstick. It was also an unholy hell of a disaster trying to remount the hood alarm trigger, so I just scrapped the bracket, taped the plunger closed and have it just hanging out in the engine bay. I may still have the instruction sheet if you can't find it online...you could also just measure the plastic tubes on the snorkel and buy hole saws accordingly.

Last edited by keoni004; 05-15-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You can unplug the hood alarm switch....

Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Baja

there are # molded on the rear of the snorkel and other parts, there is a video online of a shop installing the safari one

sizes for the hole saws and other drill bits would be great

Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Baja

got the snorkel half installed tonight it is just looks right now, and looks great could not be happier

think the fender template was slightly off height wise maybe 1/4" but no biggie will take pics tomorrow, this kit seems like it is an updated unit compared to the one in the YouTube link above since the studs install with an allen key and there is a piece of rubber hose with clamps for the Z joint between the airbox and snorkel, the video showed them gluing it

I did use the relocation bracket provided for the under hood alarm button but think I mounted it too low since the alarm lights were blinking when I armed it that it normally doesn't it has to be relocated cause it is originally mounted right where the snorkel comes through the fender/support cage

Last edited by TOM R; 05-15-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Baja

pic of $185 ebay snorkel from Malaysia

Name:  DSC02710_zps056e1dee.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  123.4 KB

Quick Reply: my 98 disco1