Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 11:55 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
I'm not trying to be condescending, but you do know that #1 and #2 are the closest to the radiator, right?
We are passed that now Cylinder 1 issue has been resolved. Pretty sure cylinder 6 misfire is due to lose connection at the coil and I will take **** apart this weekend and ensure they are connected properly.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:07 PM
TReK

Today I took everything apart, disconnected cylinder 6 ignition wire from the coil and reconnected it, ensuring that I heard the little click and the wire was firm. I made sure all the other wires were firm as well. Triple checked the connections at the spark plugs to and made sure none of the wires were rubbing against the exhaust or anything like that. Put everything back together and she ran great, trouble free for 15 minutes. Now cylinder 6 and cylinder 1 misfire and the codes P0306, P0300, P0301, P0306, P1300.

This is getting pathetic. I feel about ready to give on this lard and looking for something else with less electronics, less emissions bull****, something that is less sensitive. If I continue to operate the vehicle I risk destroying the cats. I cannot pay my bills without a vehicle. DAP no longer services vehicles at its Springfield location and instead has transferred all servicing to Bridgewater Corners, Vermont - a fair drive under the circumstances. Plus they have no availability until May. My mechanic down in Hampton requires that you drop off you vehicle and wait afew days before picking up your rig, I live more than 2 hours away and do not have that luxury right now.

I hate giving up on ****, especially when Ive worked so hard and have invested so much. Everything I earned in Alaska over that past 2 years was put into this vehicle and its really all I have to show for all my efforts and hard work. Sadly it seems this truck does not want to live anymore. The more I do the more **** goes to hell. Vehicles should not be this complicated. **** emissions to by the way.

Have to think hard for afew days but right now I think I want to call it quits. Not sure how to proceed. So many new parts, so many service records and otherwise in great shape. But the rust in the frame, re-occurring front driver side axle shaft leak and this dam misfire bull****. I will begin posting for sale adds. If anyone is interested let me know. I will not be parting out as it takes to long and I dont have my own place to do the parting out procedure. I need cash to put towards another vehicle. Maybe Ill buy something here on the east coast or wait until I get to AK and buy something from the west coast thats not rusted out.

Im interested in getting my hands on a old 110 Defender, possibly a 109 Series Wagon or a Toyota 70 Series import. **** new cars, **** computers.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Did you gap your spark plugs to spec or did you just take them out of the box and slap them in?

Old 04-23-2016, 03:06 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by fishEH
Did you gap your spark plugs to spec or did you just take them out of the box and slap them in?

I'm not sure. My mechanic installed the plugs during the engine swap. The truck ran great for over a month after I picked her up. Save for a bad 02 sensor code I had no other issues or codes. Cylinder 1 has been misfiring for the past 1.5-2 weeks now give or take? Then it switched to cylinder 6 misfire. Now both are misfiring once again. Maybe the new coils are bad, maybe the plugs are bad or maybe the new wires are bad - call it bad luck? Im tired of it.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Have you watched your O2's in real time to make sure they are functioning properly? If they are I'd buy 8 new Champion plugs, gap them to spec, and install them.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:56 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by fishEH
Have you watched your O2's in real time to make sure they are functioning properly? If they are I'd buy 8 new Champion plugs, gap them to spec, and install them.

I just replaced the 02 sensors. Front sensors are Bosch and rear sensors are Proline. I'm getting no 02 related codes whatsoever. My mechanic said he did gap the plugs. I have not looked at the live data feed for them yet. I did another spark test on the plugs that correspond to the cylinders getting the misfire (1, 6) and found that cylinder 6 plug was getting a very small spark while cylinder 1 was getting a very good spark. I swapped them around to see if anything would change and found that 6 is still getting a small spark and cylinder 1 is still getting a very good spark. Regardless the codes for cylinder 1 and 6 misfire remain in full swing. 2 bolts are missing from the coil pack mounting bracket. But the unit feels very firm in place. My mechanic and afew other folks claim they dont have all 4 mounting bolts either and have been running their Rovers misfire free for years.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:02 PM
TReK

Could a faulty plenum gasket cause a misfire? Or perhaps if the gasket was not seated properly? What about the MAF sensor?

Old 04-23-2016, 11:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

My stock and replacement coil packs came with three bolts each side. I have four sets so I'm sure that's how they come. That shouldn't be an issue. 1 and 6 are on the same bank. I hate to say it but I suspect your driver side coil if you are getting weak spark on 6.

I recall a recent post about the champion plugs versus Bosch and you may recall that I use Champions too, but if you swapped the plugs that eliminates poor gapping as a cause.

The plenum gasket is always a worry. If you pull it be sure to use copper coat gasket compound (spray) on it. Since I started using that I've gotten rid of all vacuum leaks and I had them for years.

Edit: for coil bolts you may have been referring to its attachment to the intake. I do think four bolts are required, and the bottom bolts should have the ground wires from your injector harness (bright green in mine) grounded to the bottom bolts. If you take the coils off you will notice that there is metal on the coil inside each bolt. I wondered whether that was just to keep the bolts from crushing the plastic coil. It may also be a ground. Since the coils are sealed I've never been able to figure that one out.

And for what it is worth, I have followed your thread for months and have been rooting for you since you spent the big bucks on your engine and waited months for it to come together. If anyone should quit, it is me. I found a bolt in my cylinder today in my new engine. And I probably dropped it there! I sincerely hope you don't give up and buy a tractor, err, I mean defender. I'd like to have one too, but have you ever ridden in an older one? The ride is not a chick magnet.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 04-23-2016 at 11:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (04-24-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 12:07 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
My stock and replacement coil packs came with three bolts each side. I have four sets so I'm sure that's how they come. That shouldn't be an issue. 1 and 6 are on the same bank. I hate to say it but I suspect your driver side coil if you are getting weak spark on 6.

To confirm which bolts Im referring to please refer to pics below of my new coils as they look mounted to the bracket. I pulled the coils out like this and 2 bolts were missing from the assembly and I did not have any spares. If memory serves me correctly 2 additional bolts secure this assembly to the intake manifold; of which I have 2 in place. I understand what you say about 1 and 6 being on the same bank, however cylinder 1 IS getting good spark while cylinder 1 is getting poor spark from what I could tell with the spark test. How can 2 cylinders on same bank have different sparks with good plugs and wires installed?

I recall a recent post about the champion plugs versus Bosch and you may recall that I use Champions too, but if you swapped the plugs that eliminates poor gapping as a cause.

Yes I confirmed with my mechanic who installed the new block and plugs; that he gaped them before install. Furthermore he did the job back in January 2016 and Ive been driving my truck ever since with no misfires.

The plenum gasket is always a worry. If you pull it be sure to use copper coat gasket compound (spray) on it. Since I started using that I've gotten rid of all vacuum leaks and I had them for years.

I did not use any sealant on the plenum gasket during reassembly of the intake manifold. But so far I have not found any known issues suggesting any leaks. No noises from the intake and no codes relative.

Edit: for coil bolts you may have been referring to its attachment to the intake. I do think four bolts are required, and the bottom bolts should have the ground wires from your injector harness (bright green in mine) grounded to the bottom bolts. If you take the coils off you will notice that there is metal on the coil inside each bolt. I wondered whether that was just to keep the bolts from crushing the plastic coil. It may also be a ground. Since the coils are sealed I've never been able to figure that one out.

Do you have a picture of yours you could upload and share? I cannot remember for sure but I think I only found 2 bolts securing the coil pack assembly to the intake manifold.

And for what it is worth, I have followed your thread for months and have been rooting for you since you spent the big bucks on your engine and waited months for it to come together. If anyone should quit, it is me. I found a bolt in my cylinder today in my new engine. And I probably dropped it there! I sincerely hope you don't give up and buy a tractor, err, I mean defender. I'd like to have one too, but have you ever ridden in an older one? The ride is not a chick magnet.

Thanks mate. I really dont want to give up, especially now. I feel like im ALMOST there with this build. But right now Im exhausted. All the new **** Ive thrown into this build. Ive done tons of research on this issue and have replaced most all the parts that commonly cause misfires and still no luck at all. My cats are in danger and if they go theres another $800 out of my pocket. My plans are on hold as I try to figure **** out with this truck and its getting depressing. Ill try to keep working on it but dont have much patience left. Still open to new projects though.

Sorry to hear about your new engine by the way. Id be livid if I experienced that... You sound pretty dam calm about it though haha cant say I would be as calm. Good luck to you and thanks for your support and advice.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm honestly not much help, I know this......but every little bit can help down to an updated plug style, to upgraded wires, to ANY possible upgrade out there.....bought mine DEAD with blown hoses, frozen compressor, bad alternator, and rust out the cazoo.......but I've been through 15 states since Christmas, some of them 4 times......so ya......I'm not much help.

With that...........I would'a dropped a small block Chevy in there by now, but then again you want to replace the frame........so, I'm at a loss.......Consider a K5 from a Southern state, or a Yota..........hate to be that way but I doubt, seriously your ever going to get where you want to be with what your playing with considering what's invested..............'sorry'...

Ever run the extra grounds everyone suggests?

On a side note........I ignore my check engine light and run the hell out of it DAILY....

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build