Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Google is your friend.......again.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...59/#post119481

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...9200831AA55Lc6

Last edited by fishEH; 04-16-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:08 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Already searched google and found the leading causes for red cats and already have the diagram and installed them correctly. The issue Im still getting a engine misfire, despite new spark plugs, coils and mag wires. You follow?

Old 04-16-2016, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

If you've got metal exposed in your spark plug wires, you need to replace them.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:48 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by jafir
If you've got metal exposed in your spark plug wires, you need to replace them.

Ill update once I get the new wires installed. If that does not solve the issue than back to DAP to have them solve the problem.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Didn't realize you had it all figured out, you sounded fairly uncertain in the post below and the one in the D2 section.
Originally Posted by TRIARII

I had a hard time figuring out where all the ignition wires connect once I swapped the coils. The image above was taken before I disconnected the wires from the passenger side ignition coil. That is the order they were fitted by my mechanic. So using that as a starting point I used the above diagram to figure out where the rest of the wires connect. I assumed that the top of the diagram represents the top of the coils that are closest to the hood. I assumed that the right hand coil corresponds to the passenger side coil. I connected the coils as seen in the diagram. I observed that one of the ignition wires has a tear in the rubber grommet. The metal inside partially exposed but does not appear to be damaged. Could this be the culprit for the misfire and red cat? Did I connect the wires incorrectly?

In any case I will double check all the connections tomorrow and inspect the engine harness plugs to ensure they are fully plugged in. Any other thoughts?

Old 04-17-2016, 01:28 PM
TReK

Fisheh: I was not 100% certain I had the wires installed in the right order, but the diagram above confirmed that I have them installed properly. I did a forum search and a google search on ignition coil troubleshooting and red cats before submitting my own post. Most folks suggest replacing 02 sensors, coils, plugs and wires. They also suggest using premium Mag wires vs cheap or factory wires. I also read that continuing to drive the vehicle while the cats are heating up like they are will result in melting and blockage inside the cats, thus rendering the truck inoperable.

As you may be aware, I have already replaced my coils, plugs, wires and o2 sensors. Plugs are Champion part # NLP100320OEM, wires are Magnecor part # 9206MAG1, o2 sensors are Bosch o2 sensors part # PLE910A for the front and Proline o2 sensors part # PLE892 for the rear, coils are AllMakes 4x4 UK part number ERR6045.

What I do not understand is why my truck is still getting a cylinder 1 misfire and why the truck is running worse and red cats after replacing the coils? But as said above I will be getting a second pair of Mag wires this week and seeing if that solves the problem. If not than I suspect it could be the fuel injectors... though I use fuel injector cleaner every few months, always fill with Shell V-Power fuel and never let the fuel level get below half tank.

Last edited by TRIARII; 04-17-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:30 AM
TReK

Another set of mag wires. Will install them tomorrow morning. If this does not solve the problem, what else should I look for? Im about ready to start saving up for a new mag y-pipe cat system...

Old 04-20-2016, 02:05 PM
TReK

Installed a new set of mag ignition wires today. Took the truck for a 10 minute test drive and she ran fine, no flashing check engine light and ran smoother. But then the flashing cel came back on and the cylinder 1 misfire code has reappeared.

I'm starting to consider alternative vehicles as this is getting old. Maybe the fuel injectors are bad. Maybe the MAF sensor is bad. Cats are in questionable condition and who knows what else could be causing the misfire on a new engine. Seems I cannot get rid of it nor could my mechanic.

The official TRIARII build-forumrunner_20160420_150020.png

The official TRIARII build-forumrunner_20160420_150042.png

The official TRIARII build-forumrunner_20160420_150051.png

Old 04-20-2016, 07:33 PM
TReK

Picked up a compression test kit and will be pulling the cylinder 1 spark plug and testing the cylinder. Will also examine the spark plug and compare it with another plug and will test the spark. Then if need be I'll swap cylinder 1 fuel injector with another and see if the misfire follows.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Picked up a compression test kit and will be pulling the cylinder 1 spark plug and testing the cylinder. Will also examine the spark plug and compare it with another plug and will test the spark. Then if need be I'll swap cylinder 1 fuel injector with another and see if the misfire follows.
I was getting caught up here and thinking that a compression and leak down test were in order. Surely it isn't your rings. Sounds like you are on the right track. I'm doing the same thing for the same issue tonight.

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build