Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Have fun lifting that 70lbs on your roof.
BTW, you want your fire extinguisher mounted somewhere extremely easy and fast to get to, like the back door or near the drivers seat somewhere. Inside of the side rear windows isn't terribly accessible in a hurry.

Also, with these solid windows, are you planning on running bolts straight through it to the outside when mounting this stuff???
It seems to me attaching a couple braces to the body of the truck just inside the window would accomplish what you want, while being non permanent if you want to change things up later.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:54 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Have fun lifting that 70lbs on your roof.
Not a problem. This past Spring I did ALOT of kayaking and got used to loading up the kayak, taking it down etc. A 70lbs wheel will be alot easier to load up and hopefully I wont ever need to use it

The plan is to have 3-4 fire extinguishers distributed around the vehicle for ease of access no matter where Im or where a potential fire occurs. One up front in the main cabin, one mounted on the inside of the cargo door, one mounted on the paneled up rear most window etc. I will be utilizing propane for heating and cooking so having surplus fire extinguishers is a good idea. Plus I need to stock afew different types of extinguishers rated for different types of fires.

Do you have any visual examples of this temp mounting solution your suggesting? Honestly though I cant imagine why Id ever change my mind about the paneled up windows or mounts fixed to them. Ive been building my truck up with a specific purpose in mind and Im past the point of return. Might as well keep digging the hole deeper

Old 09-13-2016, 06:58 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

3-4 fire extinguishers?!

Might as well buy a fire engine Mate!

Old 09-13-2016, 08:58 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Island_Dave
3-4 fire extinguishers?!

Might as well buy a fire engine Mate!
There is an article on DiscoWeb about how serious a car fire is and the fact that one or even two fire extinguishers may not be enough to take out a serious fire. Discussion about different types of fires require different types of extinguishers. Ill be prepared

Old 09-13-2016, 09:13 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by TRIARII
The plan is to have 3-4 fire extinguishers
One for each jerry can!

Old 09-13-2016, 09:40 PM
TReK

One for each jerry can!
Still butt-hurt over my jerry cans

Old 09-13-2016, 10:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Still butt-hurt over my jerry cans
Yes. Your jerry cans hurt my butt. And now your 2nd spare on the roof does. And so does the window rack. My butt is full of hurt.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:30 AM
TReK

Yes. Your jerry cans hurt my butt. And now your 2nd spare on the roof does. And so does the window rack. My butt is full of hurt.

Well dont forget to wipe when your done lol.

But to answer one of your old questions: I leave the jerry cans on the roof for afew reasons.
1: Conserve space inside the truck
2: Cans filled with fuel tend to leak or emit fumes inside a enclosed cabin and should they explode inside the truck Im ****ed even more than of they exploded on the roof
3: The purpose of the roof rack is to store **** on the roof so I store jerry cans and spare wheel on the roof
4: Because I can refill the cans easily while they are strapped on the roof vs taking them out of the cabin space, filling them up and lugging them back into the cabin space
5: Im to lazy to take them off the roof
6: Because I want to leave them on the roof

And because nobody removes all their trail gear after a day on the trails (lift kit, beefy oversized tires, snorkel, winch etc) etc.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Camel Trophy

Response in RED.
Well dont forget to wipe when your done lol.

But to answer one of your old questions: I leave the jerry cans on the roof for afew reasons.
1: Conserve space inside the truck Point. However I would argue that there will NEVER come a time you will need 20 gallons of extra fuel. Let's say you get 250 miles per tank. You're telling me you will be driving 500 miles between fuel stops?? Where exactly?
2: Cans filled with fuel tend to leak or emit fumes inside a enclosed cabin and should they explode inside the truck Im ****ed even more than of they exploded on the roof Depends on the can. I've never heard of a can spontaneously combusting.
3: The purpose of the roof rack is to store **** on the roof so I store jerry cans and spare wheel on the roof Agreed, though the less weight you keep 7ft off the ground the better.
4: Because I can refill the cans easily while they are strapped on the roof vs taking them out of the cabin space, filling them up and lugging them back into the cabin space Wrong. I would argue taking a can out of the back of your truck is WAY easier than climbing on your roof with gas nozzle in hand, unstrapping the cans(since you keep them on their side), filling, and reversing the process.
5: Im to lazy to take them off the roof Point.
6: Because I want to leave them on the roof Point.

And because nobody removes all their trail gear after a day on the trails (lift kit, beefy oversized tires, snorkel, winch etc) etc. Your cans are ratchet strapped down. Everything you listed is bolted on. You're equating apples to oranges. I follow a few people on Facebook that are doing true overlanding, across multiple continents. None of them have jerry cans on their roof, let alone 4.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

(getting the Popcorn out)
One thing about adventure travel is that you really learn what works from doing it. You prepare to the best of your knowledge, then test your setup and change as appropriate. Julian is putting lots of thought into this and it'll either work for him or it won't and he'll change it. I learned a ton between my D2 build and my RRC build. My D2 is 9' tall with a 140lb tent sitting up on top of the SD rack. This severely impacts handling. With my RRC, I've gone with a rhino rack pioneer platform that sits real close to the height of the roof. Effective height of the truck with the same roof top tent is almost 2 feet less... You really feel that roof weight when cornering, very sub optimal. It is a pain finding a good storage location for the second spare tire though, just no good place to stash it if you're also carrying passengers. My solution was to pull the rear two jump seats, the fridge is on the driver side rear, and the spare tire sits on the passenger side rear. Not optimal because i often need to carry 6 people but its less painful to install/uninstall the jump seat than to pull the spare off the roof.

one thought here, it might be worth exploring the idea of an offroad "sankey" type trailer to carry all of the support gear onroute to AK?

Regarding fuel. Are you thinking that you might run the truck at night to leverage the heater?

Last edited by Robert Booth; 09-14-2016 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build