Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 01:00 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That Lobster is huge... gonna need a bigger bucket!

Old 12-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

I'm guessing Turner's response was more aimed towards things that could pertain to the rebuild and might have just been a CYA type thing. I doubt they're going to start giving misfire advice pertaining to spark plugs, wires, coils, MAF's that their rebuild had nothing to do with.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
You own a Tux?

I once had to do a roadside Borge repair to my tr7's oil pan in my Kilt. That was fun....
The only tux I have is the one I didn't return from my prom, over 30 years ago. But I have plugged in my coils over a hot engine in a suit (lost the little metal keepers, ugh) .

Old 12-14-2016, 08:52 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

So I had another in depth discussion with my mechanic regarding the misfires. A good friend of his was having the same issue on his D2, with a persistant multiple cylinder misfires. For him the ultimate fix was a new set of ignition wires. Three times a charm I guess... the first to sets were defective out of the box but after going through everything else on the truck he decided to replace the wires for a third time and resolved the misfires. Very interesting conclusion for the guy.

Back to my truck. My mechanic has spent alot of time looking over everything, driving it around town and letting it idle in the yeard. In his opinion my truck actually runs really well and he cites that it does not feel like the truck is misfiring at all, but the codes... He went on to talk about the email from Turner and remains VERY skeptical of the suggestions made by Turner. Then we talked about the possibility of bad coils, MAF sensor and wires. He said when a coil goes it just goes, does not go out over a period of time, and when a coil goes bad your truck WILL run like **** if at all. As for the MAF sensor, he agreed it is a possibility however the lacking of any suggestive trouble codes typically associated with MAF fauts makes it hard to pin point the misfire issue soley on the MAF sensor. He offered to let me borrow a used MAF sensor from a early 00's D2 but when I went to install it Ifound that the early model MAF sensors are smaller and thus are not comptaitable with late model D2's.

So Ihave afew options that I can pursue on my own.
a) Replace the ignition wires for a third time but this time with "genuine" wires
b) Bite the bullet and buy a new genuine MAF sensor
c) Buy wires and MAF despite not knowing if either is going to solve the problem. Fruitless spending.

John Craddock does have the very best prices for new genuine MAF sensors and ignition wires but Ireally dont want to keep buying more **** unless I really need it. Got to think it over for afew days I guess...

Last edited by TRIARII; 12-14-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

PM me your address for mail and i'lll send you the MAF off my '03 parts truck tomorrow morning. If it solves your problem we can either figure out a price or send it back to me and buy a new one.

robbie

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:35 PM
Camel Trophy

Time for a new mechanic, or start doing work yourself.
Of course your mechanic is skeptical of what Turner said because it would mean your mechanic messed up.
I'd take Robert up on his MAF offer and go from there.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Of course your mechanic is skeptical of what Turner said because it would mean your mechanic messed up.
Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. Especially mechanics

i'm sending Julian my spare MAF. I'll get it out from Seattle tomorrow. That should hopefully help eliminate one potential problem.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:22 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Sounds like your not familiar with how a flywheel works, or the symptoms associated with a damaged flywheel.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:46 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. Especially mechanics

i'm sending Julian my spare MAF. I'll get it out from Seattle tomorrow. That should hopefully help eliminate one potential problem.
Totally. Hopefully the MAF gets it.

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Sounds like your not familiar with how a flywheel works, or the symptoms associated with a damaged flywheel.
Sorry didn't realize the guy that can't change his spark plugs was an expert on flywheels.
Is this not exactly what Turner said in your post?
"it is very common for damage to occur to the flywheel when removing and refitting to the engine"
And since we know very well YOU didn't remove the engine that must mean your mechanic did?

Old 12-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

The earlier MAF housing is smaller, but the MAF element is the same. You can just swap the element.

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build