Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 08:58 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
I gave up on my intermittent driver side knock sensor code. "Nothing to see here, move along"

on another note. I love that this forum is not discoweb. I only use this forum due to the high ratio of information on how to fix my truck compared to "other stuff".

Charlie this was gold. Wouldn't the engine management adjust to the new cam though?
It will eventually. It takes a while to "learn". Mine throws it sometimes, but not like it did right after the engine was installed.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 10:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I could be mistaken about pending codes being terms for failed inspection. Guess we will just have to wait and see how things play out. On another note my shuttle valve switch is progressivly on its way out. 3 amigos pop up and I found svs failure code in system. Not a hard fault yet and does not trigger any check engine light (P1590 = rough road/bad sensor triggered my cel) but they go away when the truck is turned off. So cross my fingers that a cheap shuttle valve switch kit from AB resolves that and nothing else ****s the bed until after my trip.....

As for my trip Im hoping on January but have to wait until my employer gives me the go ahead. They provide room/board during fishing season but the fishing is usually really slow from January-April and they put a cap on how many employees are allowed to return for work early. Most wait until the salmon season in late June to head up. I really CANNOT wait that long. Very impatient and want to hurry up and get this trip over with so I can start the next chapter of life. Gonna miss my mechanic though. Probably not many folks like him in the world and as I said before I dont trust anyone doing work on my truck.... Been trying to learn as much as I can about my truck while im in New England so I can do more diy work later uo the road.

On a final note as I monitor temps across Alaska and northern Canada Im very concerned with the possibility of not being able to start my truck after say an 8 hour break from driving. My hope is to drive 8 hours and sleep 6-8 hours and repeat for duration of trip. But with temps in -30 in some areas I cant imagine how the hell my truck is gonna start. Since Ill be on the road I wont have access to a power source so my engine block heater is useless. Im considering switching to Mobile 1 0W-40 during the trip and during all future winter months. Then switching back to Rotella 10w-30 for the warmer months. I also purchased a radiator muff. Thats all I can think to do though.
if it's that cold, you're going to need a way to heat the cab while the engine is off so you don't freeze to death. You may want to look into doing as the truckers do, and letting the truck idle while you sleep so you get heat and don't let the truck get so cold that you can't restart it. On my recent drive back from Big Sky, MT in my "new" D1 it was so cold at night that the engine coolant temp would go from 180 to 40 in about 20 minutes with the engine off.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I could be mistaken about pending codes being terms for failed inspection. Guess we will just have to wait and see how things play out. On another note my shuttle valve switch is progressivly on its way out. 3 amigos pop up and I found svs failure code in system. Not a hard fault yet and does not trigger any check engine light (P1590 = rough road/bad sensor triggered my cel) but they go away when the truck is turned off. So cross my fingers that a cheap shuttle valve switch kit from AB resolves that and nothing else ****s the bed until after my trip.....

As for my trip Im hoping on January but have to wait until my employer gives me the go ahead. They provide room/board during fishing season but the fishing is usually really slow from January-April and they put a cap on how many employees are allowed to return for work early. Most wait until the salmon season in late June to head up. I really CANNOT wait that long. Very impatient and want to hurry up and get this trip over with so I can start the next chapter of life. Gonna miss my mechanic though. Probably not many folks like him in the world and as I said before I dont trust anyone doing work on my truck.... Been trying to learn as much as I can about my truck while im in New England so I can do more diy work later uo the road.

On a final note as I monitor temps across Alaska and northern Canada Im very concerned with the possibility of not being able to start my truck after say an 8 hour break from driving. My hope is to drive 8 hours and sleep 6-8 hours and repeat for duration of trip. But with temps in -30 in some areas I cant imagine how the hell my truck is gonna start. Since Ill be on the road I wont have access to a power source so my engine block heater is useless. Im considering switching to Mobile 1 0W-40 during the trip and during all future winter months. Then switching back to Rotella 10w-30 for the warmer months. I also purchased a radiator muff. Thats all I can think to do though.
There are remote start systems that will also start your truck for a time when the temperature falls below a preset. They require a separate bypass unit for vehicle with security systems. I'm not specifically sure that they wil work with our trucks because we have very complicated security systems but it might be worth looking into in your situation.

​​​​​​

TRIARII (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 11:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Just thinking out loud here so feel free to disregard

Seems like your problem could be solved with a portable generator and a cheap travel trailer. That way you could sleep comfortably in a heated space at night, using the generator to charge the inverter you'd run off of the travel trailers batteries to run your block heater. Depending on the power requirements of the block heater and the length of your stop, you might get away without needing one and using the vehicle hookipcto let the alternator recharge your batteries. A portable generator in AK seems a good idea though.

TRIARII (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 06:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Yes, one of those little Honda generators would probably be capable of running a small electric heater inside the vehicle and the block heater. Just make sure you have plenty of gas, incase you get stranded for a while.

Brian.

TRIARII (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not wanting to sound too dismissive here, but I've lived and worked in Northern Canada for a number of years (now live in relatively balmy coastal BC), and you don't really need to be concerned about cold weather starts. As long as you have a good battery and the right weight oil, you should be fine, even down at -30 Deg C. Diesels on the other hand...

I know for you 'Mericans Canada may seem like a frozen wasteland inhabited by a handful of polar bears and a people living in igloos, but it's really not that bad as long as you pack some long johns . Your truck will be fine.

Sleeping in a truck at -35C on the other hand? Personally, i think you're crazy to be even considering it... I passed out in my truck after a NYE party in Timmins, Northern Ontario once. it was -35C outsde and I had blanket in the truck, but if my mates hadn't have come looking for me I might not be here today...

Old 12-19-2016, 04:35 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Island_Dave
Not wanting to sound too dismissive here, but I've lived and worked in Northern Canada for a number of years (now live in relatively balmy coastal BC), and you don't really need to be concerned about cold weather starts. As long as you have a good battery and the right weight oil, you should be fine, even down at -30 Deg C. Diesels on the other hand...

I know for you 'Mericans Canada may seem like a frozen wasteland inhabited by a handful of polar bears and a people living in igloos, but it's really not that bad as long as you pack some long johns . Your truck will be fine.

Sleeping in a truck at -35C on the other hand? Personally, i think you're crazy to be even considering it... I passed out in my truck after a NYE party in Timmins, Northern Ontario once. it was -35C outsde and I had blanket in the truck, but if my mates hadn't have come looking for me I might not be here today...

Im actually NOT worried about sleeping in my truck in cold weather. Ill have that taken care of. I just assumed ANY vehicle petrol or diesel would have a hard time starting in 30 below temps. If the truck does not start then Ill be in big trouble. No time or money to invest in a camper or trailer but Ill look into the generator idea.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Remember Jullian, if you find yourself in a tight spot you should eat all the wild potato plant you can find.

vanbadri (10-03-2018)
Old 12-19-2016, 11:54 PM
Camel Trophy

I know for you 'Mericans Canada may seem like a frozen wasteland inhabited by a handful of polar bears and a people living in igloos, but it's really not that bad as long as you pack some long johns .
I beg to differ. See the excellent documentary, "Highway to Hell" and the latter seasons of "Ice Road Truckers" if you want to know what Canada is like. Hahaha!

Don't you have to block your radiator in temperatures like that? What happens to brake fluid?

Anyway, the best idea to date is a remote, timed, start that is triggered by temperature. I can't remember who suggested that ...

Do you have a temperature-controlled remote start system for extreme cold conditions?
Crimestopper manufactures a special “Cool Timer” Temperature and Timer interface to be used with Crimestopper remote start systems. The RS400 Cool Timer allows you to select from four different low temp thresholds. Once the temp reaches this low level your vehicle will automatically start to prevent fluid freeze-up. The same Cool Timer module also allows you to select four different hourly intervals to activate a remote start at specific hourly time intervals.

Or a generator, which always comes in handy anyway.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 12-20-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:58 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by fishEH
Remember Jullian, if you find yourself in a tight spot you should eat all the wild potato plant you can find.
I had to Google that. Hedysarum alpinum?!

Not nice, fishEH!

​​​​​
​​​​

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build