Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Operation Magpie.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I never blame LR on issues from neglect by a previous owner. Even a Merc, Toyota, or a military H1 can be a POS if it was neglected. With the kind of equipment I work on daily I’d say 90% is user error vs hardware.

You can make the best vehicle in the world, but it all comes down the person driving it/maintaining it. I’ve seen brand new F150 Raptors bend the frame from the owner thinking they can go out on the weekends and get 6ft of air all day long without breaking something.... then complain that the body line between the bed & cab needs to better & it’s Ford’s fault.

Not saying anyone here is blaming LR like this, but I have worked on plenty of LR’s that people act are pure crap due to how many times it’s broken down, then I’ll find electrical tape holding a spark plug wire together, or a zip tie for a cruise control cable...

Old 05-15-2018, 10:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Yeah, those kind of people drive me nuts.

Bleh.

Summit order is arriving on Thursday!

Old 05-16-2018, 12:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
All done with the tear down -- i was surprised how not tight the head bolts were You can see in cyl #7 where the HG failed, there is a tad bit of surface rust in the bore. Everything else looks ok which is good! No stripped / broken bolts which is awesome.

I mistakenly didn't undo the manifold --> downpipe bolts before cracking the seal on the drivers side HG, which caused me to get some vinegar/water solution in my eye while crawling back under the truck to undo them. It hurt real bad! The bolt on the back of the drivers side head where the wire harness is connected was extremely annoying to get out, I had already removed the head bolts so the head kinda moved around a little on the mounting pins which dinged the head ever so slightly. Hopefully the machine shop can clean the dings up, they aren't super deep

Now i just need to get the heads to a machine shop -- the HG kit from Lucky8 should be arriving tomorrow.
I hope my eyes are misleading me..

But in this picture you're missing a chunk of the #7 piston.. at 6 oclock position..

Old 05-16-2018, 12:49 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

I think that's water in the cylinder(from being flushed with water prior to disassembly, and coolant almost always pours into cylinders when heads are removed), and the water is making it hard to see the rest of the piston.

....OR...maybe that's why your engine is overheating, lol!

Old 05-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
I think that's water in the cylinder(from being flushed with water prior to disassembly, and coolant almost always pours into cylinders when heads are removed), and the water is making it hard to see the rest of the piston.

....OR...maybe that's why your engine is overheating, lol!
Yes, now that does make sense and you can see the dome ridge follow... but now look at piston 1 & 3... The ringlands dont look to well...

Old 05-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Pro Wrench

Haha yeah, just water. Pistons were all in good knick after I cleaned the tops 👍🏻

Old 05-17-2018, 08:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Hmm.. Well got all the inline parts installed but still need to do some hose trimming of the lower rad hose -- has a slight kink in it.

AND GUESS WHAT?!?!

MagPie overheated again.

I hate everything.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Pro Wrench

I'm think that there is something wrong with my HG job which really really sucks.

I can't figure out for the life of me why everything keeps overheating. The inline setup, while super simple compared to the stock setup takes about twice as long to get the truck to overheat -- So i guess that is a good thing. As mentioned a few times, the whole cooling system has been replaced with brand new parts.

There must be a blockage or something in the block because all external hoses and such have pressure and flow coolant. I don't think it is a cracked block because i am no loosing any coolant but on the other hand, i do get a fairly steady stream of smoke out the tail pipe on cold mornings. Like today for example -- truck was reading 215 on UG and yet there was steam coming out the pipe -- I held my palm out to get some condensation on it to taste and it didn't taste sweet at all, more sour actually.

Going to get a combustion leak tester today and give that a whirl

Name:  NnoHTU2.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  598.6 KB

Name:  uDTVO2o.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  601.7 KB

Old 05-18-2018, 04:02 PM
Pro Wrench

Combustion test was negative.. Did it 3 times, so i guess that is a relief

I wish i had a damn garden hose to flush everything to make sure nothing is blocked / clogged.

#apartmentliving

Old 05-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Have you ever pulled the square looking block plugs on the block itself? I’ve never had to do it, but it is possible to remove them and get extra gunk out. One is kinda hidden by a motor mount and the other is hidden by the starter/engine mount.

Quick Reply: Operation Magpie.