Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Operation Magpie.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 02:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Something seems wrong here, an engine that runs 195 with no thermostat...unheard of (unless some sort of blockable or wate pump wasn't turning). 130 seems more reasonable, for a delete stat engine. What is your factory gage reading and what type of heat is coming from the vents? At 195...it should feel rather hot to the touch. 130 would be luke warm. Something just seems weird here.

Brian.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I agree, this whole situation is weird.

Engine was running 130ish via the temp gun while UG said it was 180ish or so, as mentioned which i find strange. New temp sensor is on route as i type this, so we'll see if changing that does anything. Factory gauge is just sitting right in the middle, right where it should be. Heat from the vents was piping hot, the 130 temp reading was the actual plastic of the vents so i'd imagine the actual air coming out is hotter than that.

Going to put the tstat back in this afternoon and see if I get the same result. If things start over heating again, i guess at this point i'd have to think there must be a blockage someplace -- perhaps the radiator has just picked up enough crap from flushing that the flow has been impacted.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:00 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

I told ya to gut that thermostat, lol!
Great news man, glad you've got that fixed!

Old 05-31-2018, 07:07 AM
Pro Wrench

Thanks

But lets be honest here, things are defo not fixed but are certainly heading in the right direction -- thats for sure. If having no tstat prevents me from over heating, I can finally go get MagPie smogged and registered which is long overdue.. That is honestly a little more of a priority rather than making sure things are running at 100% etc..

The last thing i need is for MP to get towed or something stupid even though my complex is chill / low traffic etc. Tow drivers can be real jerks sometimes and just don't have the energy to deal with something like that right now

Old 05-31-2018, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

With the pic of that gunk on just the temp sensor I honestly don’t wanna know what the radiator or heater core look like inside.

Even without a stat it will get to the same operating temp eventually just like when a T-stat finally fully opens.

I’d honestly find a quiet street or road and drive it a bit up to some normal speeds above 45MPH. Just idling and cruising the parking isn’t like driving down a road. It will also help with higher RPM’s to get the vinegar to circulate.

The temp variant is weird, but out of curiousity have you checked the temp gun on something you know the temp on to verify it’s accurate?

This may sound silly, but in the past on vehicles that people didn’t want to spend a lot on I have used a small shop vac and while blocking off a lower waterpump hose, connected a shop vac on the upper hose from the intake and sucked out some crap. You can do it to the radiator as well and you can rotate from top to bottom. Sometimes you’ll get a decent amount of gunk to come out. It’s a redneck way but it does work.

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-31-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:06 AM
Pro Wrench

I mean, I’ve shot my wife on the forehead and it registered just below 100 but quickly got hotter and then I don’t remember anything 5 mins or so afterward

The shop vac is a good idea..

Old 05-31-2018, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah if I shoot my wife with it, she tends to get hotter as well... lol

Old 06-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Ok.

Took out the TB and worked a little magic with some 800 grit sand paper -- I KNOW I KNOW you said scotch brite but 800 was all i had. It was clean in there, but i guess there was a little build up on the butter fly around the edges but nothing crazy. Lightly sanded everything down and cleaned with carb spray and reassembled. Everything seems to work a little better but it still kinda sticks -- is there a way to adjust the spring at all on the shaft? If i blip the throttle in the engine bay, it'll close at a slightly higher RPM but if i just slightly tap the TB shaft it'll go back to the lower RPM. I'll have to work on it some more i guess.

Reinstalled the tstat into the system and the truck got hot again -- I am certain at this point there is a flow / clog issue. I KNOW I KNOW you guys have said that before but now that has got to be the case I guess the tstat cause enough restriction in the system for it to cool properly

I might sneak out to the gas station tonight so i'm hoping that some crap will get flushed out etc.. Just hope i don't get stopped by the coppers

Old 06-02-2018, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Yep I'd take the TB plate out again and use some scotchbrite. You can grab it at walmart on the cleaning isle. I had two TB's that stuck horribly and after I used scotchbrite all around the TB plate, and inside the TB itself they both are now flawless.

Coolant wise yep something seems clogged up for sure.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:07 PM
Pro Wrench

BOOM!

All fixed and running properly. Finally was able to use a damn hose -- flushed the core, rad and block. Nothing other than clear water from what i could tell, did each one for about 5-8 mins or so.

Also swapped temp sensors for a new one from AB, Lucas was the brand -- seems to work much better and faster than the previous one from L8. Only running water currently, had hot hot heat in the cabin and temps never rose above 199 and was hanging around the 183 - 188 mark generally. I even BROKE THE LAW and drove to get some gas and MagPie scooted along just fine.

I am a little concerned that there is steam coming out the tail pipe still, never huge amounts but it seems to be fairly constant until the truck warms up -- even when its hot outside

Topped up diff oil -- i was surprised that the oil was fresh in both diffs and installed new brass fill plugs that i had bought months ago.

ALSO cleaned out the truck of all the bits and pieces from doing the HG and installed the mini brush guard that came with the truck.. Feels like things are "completed" for now but i'm sure i'll be doing something tomorrow

Next up is getting smog and plates this Friday!

Quick Reply: Operation Magpie.