Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Picked up another truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts
Default Picked up another truck

So I apparently was feeling weak after the RRC didn't end up coming home with me.

So I was cruising craigslist looking for something interesting. I have always had a thing for the old square body Ford trucks. I think it goes back to working in the detailing dept of Shaver Ford when I was 16 as a summer job. Anyways I came across a 1990 that looked pretty decent. XLT Lariat 4x4, short bed, regular cab. Red and black gray interior ac cruise power windows and locks. 5.0 v8 and a 5 speed.

I decided to make the 45 min drive to South Carolina to check it out. I was amazed at the lack of rust, and bondo. She looks great from 15 ft runs pretty good drives pretty good. It had some issues but the price was right so after some back and forth, I bought it.

First stop... I'm really seeing a trend here with the vehicles I own....

45 min later I parked it in the driveway at my house. The BMW behind it was a Master Sergeant I work with that was kind enough to run me out there and follow me home. Also kind enough to let me know I had rear running lights only. Brake and turn signals in the back were a no go. I shared with him that the inside of the truck smelled like a dive bar. Old beer, stale smoke, shame and desperation. oh and exhaust fumes.

So I got it home. Did a bit of cleaning.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

So I went ahead and got it registered, titled and plated. Huge thank you to the Columbia County DMV here in Evans Georgia. They were absolutely fantastic. 30 min and I was on my way with all the paperwork done, fees paid and a plate in hand. I figured military out of state license, out of state title etc would see me there for hours or multiple trips. They didn't bat an eye and squared me up.

Then cleaned the interior put a couple Febreeze vent clip air fresheners in it and closed it up for a few days.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

So still not sure what the plan is for it. Daily driver? Trail truck? Georgia Camouflage? or what I'm leaning towards budget overland pickup. Cheap common parts available everywhere. Once the neglect is squared up it has a fairly bullet proof nature to the drive train. So I'm thinking it may be great for some of these middle of nowhere runs.

I do know driving it to duty today slowed down entry to Fort Gordon, the gate guard talked to me for a few minutes about the truck holding up traffic.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

So the first weekend, I didn't have duty was Thanksgiving weekend. So it was like old times, my parents were in town for the holiday. So my Dad and I spent our days together talking laughing and wrenching.

We knocked out, air filter, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter and an oil change. Some new wiper blades as well.

Then we moved on to the lights and we were getting nothing from the turn signal switch so picked up another one of those and changed it out. We were all excited to have lights but our hopes were dashed as they still were not operational.

Found a big mess of disconnected rigged wiring in the back. A couple hours later all sorted except for the missing license plate buld, socket and wiring it was all good to go.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Went over to the pick a part and scored a few bits we needed. A new turn signal switch lever, lower steering shaft, and a license plate light socket assembly. We got everything installed and moved on to the brakes.

Found a failed hard line that was spewing fluid. So that accounted for the brake pedal squishy feel. Went ahead and replaced both of the front brake hoses while we were at it.

So everything was feeling pretty good so I drove it to work and realized how bad the exhaust leak was. Gotta fix that before I drive it to much and die lol.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 12-01-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

MUD KINGS FOR THE WIN!

This is so funny. "Didn't bring the RRC back so instead I got bored and bought a mud bogger F150", lol. This is why LRF's is great.

Please take it to Winter Romp. And don't forget the GoPro

Old 12-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

If I don't square up that exhaust leak I'll die before I get there lol

Craigslist boredom and some money in your pocket can be a bad thing. Sad part is I was actually looking for a cheap L322 to beat on

I'll be in the LR3 for Romp, we should caravan up

Old 12-01-2018, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Got nothing done today, fighting a sore throat and it was pouring rain. So I lacked motivation. I did find a truck bed cap that I'm going to look at tomorrow that should fit it perfect it's cheap and solid. My kind of part to bad it's silver.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:20 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know if you intend to paint it but I say the colors on it now are great. Very nice looking truck, good fortune to you.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Eventually I'll paint it she is currently a 15 footer. Thank you though I'm digging it.

The game plan as I see it right now is

Get all the maintenance and wear items taken care of.
New exhaust
Alignment
33" tires thinking Hankook or Falken MT's
Bed cap and some sort of rack set up
Hidden winch
Radio
CB
Seat and carpet
Plasti-Dip it some to be determined color combo

Quick Reply: Picked up another truck