Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Satan's Disco

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,165 Likes on 840 Posts

Looking good! That driveshaft issue was a mess.

Brian.

Old 09-17-2020, 04:49 PM
Mudding
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Well im back...

I'll pick up where I left off from what I can remember. After a lot of wiring removal and the a/c switch was fixed, I had icy cold air. Thank god! I had some small issues like one o2 sensor popped out and had to be held back in with bailing twine until I was able to get a patch done on it.
Some basic maintenance between then, and some odds and ends like new upper hose, etc. I took her out for a test at Brazos Valley off road Ranch where she performed well except one glitch where she cut out sending me backwards down a hill with no brakes... and then refused to start for 15 mins! We drove there sending some smoke out the tail (barely noticeable to the unsuspecting) and having some power issues, but she kept going, and got home without issue. A couple of weeks before the big deadline of Hill Country Rover Rally, She finally got a nice upgrade from her rusty old stock brush guard to a nice TJM bullbar which looks great(pics to follow), and off we went to HCRR 2019!

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (09-21-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 03:46 PM
Mudding

So here's where the fun starts... But first some action shots from our adventures

HCRR 2019

HCRR 2019

6th St Austin, TX

Got her home and decided to dig in... P1313 and P1316 had been showing up for a while. So I jumped in and ordered a HG kit from Lucky8, and tore the driver side head off. VOILA! Blown out clean between 1 & 3.... easy fix right?
Well, the fix happened over several weeks. During this time, some 5-6 gallons of gas had evaporated as I didnt plug the fuel lines. So, I button her up (yes I only did one head gasket judge me lol), and tried to start her after adding some fuel. Nothing.
Eventually she killed the battery... replaced it. Suspect starter, replaced it. She starts, under duress. Out of the garage onto he drive we go and dies. Great! No start again. Let her sit for a couple of weeks, and took a look with my good buddy @Best4x4 .
After some poking and prodding, double checking connectors etc...A grim discovery is made... gas all the way up to the intake. We set about draining it, and I got a lovely facial consisting of gas and oil which went EVERYWHERE! It wasnt pleasant, but was quite hilarious. Got her plugged back up and stopped the flow before my driveway looked like the Exxon Valdez had blew its load on ,my driveway.
And so she sits for a few more days, after which I drained 12 Liters of gas and oil mixture. Onto the fix!
Ran some crappy oil through her, and she cranked almost immediately, awesome! Alas, a little flickering oil light appears... so I ran her with a hyperlube, and she settled down, and no oil light!
So Friday afternoon rolls around, and I go change the oil to something that doesnt have the hyperlube. I was setting off for another day of Land Rover adventures at @Best4x4 Rover ranch approx 100 miles away.
Got on the road, all was going great! The power that had been lost had returned, she was starting easy and life was good. I get on the freeway doing 75-80 and im in my element. 15 Miles passes at 75, a flicker from the genies lantern...
I kept trucking, and pulled off after 20 to investigate. No oil light... no tapping, nothing!
Several miles later the engine started to give me a nice song to listen to... taptaptaptaptap
I was halfway-ish to my destination, so I said lets send it.
46 miles in, she started to overheat and said no more. Called AAA, waited approx 1 hr, and got picked up. BUT WAIT! THERES MORE!
We get 5 miles down the road in this Dodge Ram 5500 flat bed, and the passenger rear of the truck decided to shear all the bolts holding the dually wheel on and sent them flying, yes with my D1 still strapped on the back! Another tow had to be sent to the rescue!
After many hours I got to the Rover ranch, where my truck decided it was going to start!!! Once she started (after a couple more beers), she got to temperature, and thats when we seen some smoke and heard the tapping. Switched her off and abandoned her there for some time.
TBC

Last edited by jonesy-1; 09-29-2020 at 04:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonesy-1:
Best4x4 (09-29-2020), Richard Gallant (09-30-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 09:46 AM
Mudding

Photo dump... a little late

Post gas facial - Note how much gas/oil came out after an initial spurt. The basin was 12 litres

Did an oil pressure sensor while tinkering

Finally running!

Temporary repair for a dead seat bladder

Well, doing 75mph, this little guy started to flicker

40 something miles into a 90 mile trip

Dually snaps off studs...

Finally made our destination

January 26,2020. RIP This was to be her final resting place for some time due to personal circumstances

TBC

Last edited by jonesy-1; 12-10-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:29 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

Sorry to hear about the Disco, but that looked like a generally crappy day.

jonesy-1 (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 10:33 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Sorry to hear about the Disco, but that looked like a generally crappy day.
wasn't ideal!

Richard Gallant (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 01:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,165 Likes on 840 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:15 AM
Mudding

I'll keep the updating coming! During the interim I picked up another D1, a 99 you may have seen for sale on here and drove that for a while until I got a parts car which was to be the donor for ol black to run again. It took me a while to make an actual start on it, but once I finally nutted up and yanked the motor out it was go time. 8 months later the old girl was set to see life again. We (@best4x4 and I) got everything disconnected while she still sat in the woods, and then we pulled her out and bug bombed it as black widows had taken up residence. Once we got pretty much everything disconnected we reached a stopping point where I needed to go grab the motor and hoist to continue another weekend.

Looking sorry for herself on stock size tires and goodies removed

More to come, stay tuned..

Last edited by jonesy-1; 12-14-2020 at 08:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonesy-1:
Best4x4 (12-14-2020), Richard Gallant (12-14-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Black widows????? That would be it for me. Lol

yep no way. I can do snakes, bugs, little spiders, varmants but not big spiders.

jonesy-1 (12-21-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 02:26 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

@Fastercat Black Widows are just little spiders, we have a couple here in BC that can get a couple of inches in leg span body about an inch.

jonesy-1 (12-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Satan's Disco