Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Saving my Disco

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 01:12 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Saving my Disco

So, newbie here (new to Rovers that is). I picked up this 2002 Disco with a bad head gasket (exhaust leak), a key broken off in the ignition and some other problems for $1000. Had spent most all its life in Southern CA, and about 4 years here in the Pacific NW where it had not moved in 2 years. Fixed the ignition in an hour by taking it completely apart, pulling the barrel an removing the key. Pulled the heads, which are getting rebuilt, but have a longer list to catch it up with maintenance its going to get the head gaskets and all other upper gaskets, all fluids changed, new coils, plugs, wires, thermostat, water pump, heated seats added, heated windshield added (old one cracked), headliner redone, third row added, new (used) tires, new front driveshaft, 3 new lock actuators, and3 new window regulators, new bumpers, and a heavy cleaning. Some of the projects are done, some parts acquired, but an ongoing project.

Attached Thumbnails Saving my Disco-disco-drivers-head-off.jpg   Saving my Disco-disco-interior-gutted.jpg   Saving my Disco-rear-passengers-side-area-clean-streak.jpg   Saving my Disco-cleaned-dirty-valve-cover.jpg  

Last edited by emncfi; 10-05-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Mudding

That third pic shows how gross the carpet was, the front had been shampooed, the rear not so much. The seats were about that gross too, but the amazing thing is that with some good cleaners and a lot of elbow grease, the interior came out looking almost new, no real wear, just a lot of dirt and stuff

Old 10-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Head gaskets

Since you are this far into the engine why not do the other head gasket? Some things are better done in pairs. JMO D*

Old 10-05-2016, 02:29 PM
Mudding

I am doing them both, in the pic I had not taken off the passenger side yet. I actually rounded off a bolt on the passenger side head which made it take more time to get it off but finally did with no real damage to the head. I am also going to do a 2003 face lift on it since the passenger headlight was cracked when I bought it.

Attached Thumbnails Saving my Disco-disco-heads-off.jpg  
Old 10-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the update. I have the same engine project to do so I'm here to learn all that I can befor I start on it next spring. Starting to get all the pieces together for all the things I plan to do once I get started. D*

Old 10-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Mudding

I have some creative plans for the grille, and for taking care of the worn alcentara on the drivers door panel, so far I have the alcentara panel removed, and now have to get it re-covered and re-installed

Old 10-21-2016, 01:23 AM
Mudding

Reassembly has begun! Got the heads on and the rockers, the heads were actually easier than I thought. I read horror stories about the second 90 degree turn, but all went well. Replaced the drivers armrest with a nos part, once I find a new steering wheel and do the headliner the interior should look great. Coils and plugs arrive tomorrow. I think I might have to replace a pushrod though. During reassembly, I noticed what I think are casting flaws, but I am worried it could be a weaker spot and lead to major damage down the road

Attached Thumbnails Saving my Disco-image.jpg  
Old 10-21-2016, 09:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by emncfi
Replaced the drivers armrest with a nos part
Name:  downloadfile_zpsnunkfzty.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  49.9 KB

Old 10-21-2016, 10:06 AM
Mudding

New Old Stock, exactly what it was. Part has been discontinued, found a new in box one

Old 10-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by emncfi
New Old Stock, exactly what it was. Part has been discontinued, found a new in box one
Ahh, very good. I see a lot of people using NAS and NOS interchangeably not realizing they mean different things.

Quick Reply: Saving my Disco