Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Saving my Disco

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I have never heard of NAS, at least in the automotive world, what does it stand for (other than Naval Air Station). I would love to find a NOS steering wheel for under $500, but I doubt that will happen

Old 10-21-2016, 12:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by emncfi
I have never heard of NAS, at least in the automotive world, what does it stand for (other than Naval Air Station). I would love to find a NOS steering wheel for under $500, but I doubt that will happen
North American Specification
Why do you want a New Old Stock steering wheel? D1 steering wheels, unlike D2, are pretty robust. I've seen a lot of D1's and almost all the steering wheels are still in good shape, even if the rest of the truck/interior is trashed.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Mudding

I like how the D2 wheel looks, plus it matches. This rig is going to be my wife's and pretty means a lot to her, although she did marry me so maybe pretty isn't that important. I get to drive my jeep. The rover will never be modified as heavy as the jeep. The actual plan is to get the rover as nice as I can get it and sell it next year. I think if I modded this one I would never hear the end of it. Before we got married I told my wife that I never planned on modifying my jeep. 12k later it's basically done

Last edited by emncfi; 10-21-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

'Come on......Jeeps are never done...lol!!
Taking some no nonsense Jeep thrill and applying it to a Rova' could be a fun proposition, unorthodox.....yes, but who cares! Need to find the absolute correct Rova' for the commitment though.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:56 PM
Mudding

Rovers have better axles than the jeep in stock form, a lot of the cost came from axle upgrades D44HP up front and Ford super 8.8 in the back

Old 10-22-2016, 07:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by emncfi
Rovers have better axles than the jeep in stock form, a lot of the cost came from axle upgrades D44HP up front and Ford super 8.8 in the back
Yes, year & model plays a roll in that and axle swaps are common and expected as you apply a lift and larger tires......goes for about any brand.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:11 PM
Mudding

Some work got done, redid the alcantara panel on the drivers door card, fixed the rear hatch power lock, and added the third row from a junk yard you pull it discovery, kind of cool, the whole third row stuff bolts right in, all the holes are threaded and already there, the only permanent thing I had to do was cut holes in the rear cargo area carpet so I could bolt down the latch strikers for the folding seats. Also redid my headliner, and got the back installed with a brace to keep the headliner board from sagging aft of the rear A/C controls. Few more parts from rock auto (waterpump, some hoses) and I might be able to see if it actually starts!

Old 12-25-2016, 02:51 PM
Mudding

I think I found the best example of how this was cared for, both front door regulators were bent and broke, but the best was the passenger window which was propped up with two 2x4's. Vehicle is basically done, wet sanded and polished. I am waiting on a new front driveshaft from lucky8. This rig broke its front driveshaft once, as the the transfer case cable was frayed, heat shield torn, and a dent in the floorboard and a small (dime size) dent in the tranny pan, whoever had it break must have been driving slow when it went, and they were very lucky as it did not touch the tranny except for the small dent on the pan, which now that I think about it may not even be from that. I replaced the transfer case cable, so it shifts into low now. 3 door lock actuators replaced, 2 window regulators replaced. The final things are the fender flared need attention, and still need to service the transfer case (tranny, diffs, oil and power steering done)

Attached Thumbnails Saving my Disco-vertical-2x4-passenger-door.jpg  
Old 04-22-2017, 11:08 PM
Mudding

So, other than needing new shocks now, and installing the 2 inch lift I picked up for $100 off Craigslist (Terrafirma medium duty brand new) my $1000 Disco is basically done. I think overall I have dropped $2000 more on this, so in it $3000, but that gets me now a non-leaking discovery believe it or not!, new fluids (all of them right down to power steering fluid) a new OEM steering wheel, a lot of cleaning, 04 rails, ARB bumper, new headliner, 3rd row conversion, any worn interior parts including leather replaced, new door lock actuators, new window regulators, coils, plugs, wires, head gasket, water pump, thermostat, 04 range rover grill, a 04 headlight upgrade, and probably more small things I have forgot about. Took it on its first long drive earlier this week (260 miles) cruises at 180 degrees at 15 miles per gallon (off the scan gauge if that thing is accurate). pretty happy with my "going to the scrap yard" Disco.

Attached Thumbnails Saving my Disco-stu-new-bumper.jpg  
Old 04-23-2017, 03:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Nice save! Sounds pretty nice, picture won't enlarge for me.

Brian.

Quick Reply: Saving my Disco