Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

She is back!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the Cannibal V8, performance Cam, and full turn key install cost all together?

Old 02-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

8.5-9.k guessing

Old 02-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah it came out to about 9 grand when it was all said and done

Old 02-24-2015, 12:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you add a oil cooler?

Old 02-27-2015, 05:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by cybercop
Did you add a oil cooler?
Not yet. It's on my list as well as a oil pressure gauge.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm newish here and planning my build. I'm trying to understand what makes his rebuild so crazy expensive? Couldn't one get the cam and go to your local machine shop and have them rebuild yours for a third of that? What am I missing? Do other things get customized on the cannibal?

Old 02-27-2015, 10:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah you could do the work yourself and probably save money but for me it was easier to just pay someone else to do it. However since it took so long I would have rather just done it myself. I'd recommend just buying the motor and installing it yourself. Companies like cannibal, great plains, or Atlantic British deal with these motors all the time and they know them up and down so I'd order a long block that way you're not worried about dealing with a machine shop that knows nothing about rover v8s.

The following users liked this post:
cybercop (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The actual engine cost $5500 without goodies. That is about the price of any of the good remaned engines with top hat liners. The rest is shipping costs, labor, and other incidentals, which you will have no matter if you do it yourself or not.

By the time you take your engine out, strip it down to the block. Send the block off to a shop to have it worked over and top hats installed, take your heads and have them machined and rebuilt, then buy a new camshaft and all the other bottom end stuff, gaskets, and then all the incidentals you are going to find bad when you reinstall the engine, I think you will be at about $4500 to $5500. Then you still have to consider all of your labor, and you still haven't got a block and heads that have been through the rigorous inspection a Cannibal block and heads have been thru.

Plus, you get a 2 year warranty. Not a bad deal in my book!

Old 03-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Three Wheeling

So that driveshaft I had ordered was for a Discovery 1... I called lucky 8 and they had a new one in the mail with a return shipping label within a few days. They really are a good company to work with.

Now she's 4wd just in time to head over to Hale Mountain offroad park. We spent 20 minutes driving down into a valley and 5 hours winch back out. I learned some things about the ARB bumper. It's terrible for repeated winching. You have to watch your cable very very closely otherwise it will bind up and aside from using another truck to pull out the cable there is no way to get it to spool out. Second is that unless you have modified your clutch you'll have to reach inside the bumper every time you want disengage the motor. All this led up to a nasty bruise on my arm and a badly kinked cable. All my issues can be overcome except the inability to access the winch drum easily.

I do like the ARB. I love how it looks and the amount of protection it gives as well as using the fog lamps....buuuut... if anyone wants to trade for a TR or RTE....

I also did a little more work to the roof rack lights. They are finally wired into a switch on the binnacle and only work with the ignition on.

I'd say they work pretty well. Now I really have to finish the dual coach batteries and water tank!

Old 03-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

x2 on the guys at Lucky8. the rig is really looking sweet, nice work.

Quick Reply: She is back!