Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Worlds longest slowest 110 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:52 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
110 5 doors can have more room for tall people, because I think most don't have a bulkhead behind the fronts seats. 3 doors (90 and 110) usually have a bulkhead that gets in the way of moving the seat back. Strangely enough, the tall guys install seat risers, that allow them to slide the seat back a couple more inches, because the bulkhead is angled slightly.

I guess air conditioning (if the underdash type) makes it even more difficult for tall people.

Julian, I think you'll be fine at your height, as long as you don't have a bonnet mounted spare. I'm a couple of inches taller and it still gets in the way a little bit when off road.

Yeah I was also debating adding a full size spare to the bonnet for the classical look plus it would allow me to carry along 2 spares instead of 1. So I guess either way I would be better off with a mod to the front seats to better accommodate short guys

so which direction should I go? Patiently search for a low price 5 door 110 Defender or go with a cheap salvaged title 07 LR3 HSE that needs a little bit of front undercarrage work? I want both and one day I will have both but for now? In the next 2 years I plan on taking my D2 off the road long term for a couple big projects so Ill need another Rover as my daily driver. Id like to invest in the second Rover before I start work on my D2. Lr3 is capable, more reliable and very comfortable plus a 7 seater with terrain response and all the gizmos I want. But the Defender wagon is a legend, easy to work on, great project to broaden my mechanic skills, 12 seater with benches etc.

Does the Defender 110 wagon have leaf springs or coils? Is the heating in the 110 Defender as bad as it was in the former Series trucks?

Old 12-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

A 25 year old defender is going to have horrible heat. It's going to leak air from just about everywhere. It's all fixable. New bulkhead vent seals, door seals, insulation, etc. if I lived where you live, heated seats and windscreen would be upgrades I'd do too.

Defenders are coil sprung.

To find a 5 door in the price range Bill got his, you'll have to find it in England and import it, most likely. I didn't really know what I was doing, so I probably over paid for my 90. But I love it.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Jafir, is spot on about the heat in a 110. I've been going through all the things he listed. I have also added sound killer/insulation to the roof and I'm doing the doors now. I have put foam weather stripping in all the window gaps with the sliding windows. I also have new bulkhead seals to put on as well.

All Defenders are coil sprung, if it has leafs it's a Series truck.

The spare on the bonnet is a classic land rover look. It also weighs about 65 pounds making the hood a heavy lift. I prefer the one on the back door. If I need a second spare it can ride in the tub in back.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Jafir, is spot on about the heat in a 110. I've been going through all the things he listed. I have also added sound killer/insulation to the roof and I'm doing the doors now. I have put foam weather stripping in all the window gaps with the sliding windows. I also have new bulkhead seals to put on as well.

All Defenders are coil sprung, if it has leafs it's a Series truck.

The spare on the bonnet is a classic land rover look. It also weighs about 65 pounds making the hood a heavy lift. I prefer the one on the back door. If I need a second spare it can ride in the tub in back.
Sounds like I'll have to wait a while on the 110 then... but yeah I was thin king about all those suggestions regarding insulating the truck and adding all new seals. Also pondered the possibility of adding D2 heating system and D2 seats complete with all power/heated options. Used D2 seats are reasonable price I think plus they are already designed with my height in mind (I have no trouble seeing over the dash whatsoever in my D2). What about heated front and rear windshields? Is there any affordable options like that for the 110? Sounds to me like heating comfort and insulation would be the first and primary mods to any 110 residing in cold climate areas and what is a utility truck if it cant take the cold winter?

ArmyRover please keep us posted on your progress with your 110, love reading these kinds of threads. You are lucky man!

PS: Im gonna take your word for it and give Lucky8 a try for some upcoming parts I need. Been hesitant because their website is low budget and I found miss spelling on their page and they dont appear to be as big as Atlantic British and RoversNorth.... but I see Luck8 name coming up more frequently. Hopefully they sell 02 sensors..

Old 12-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Triar, it's ironic that you complain about them misspelling things and have misspellings all over your response lol. Yeah his website is not good at all. That's why I say just call him.

I have to give them love, their prices on OEM parts is in a lot of cases 30-40% less than Rovers North or AB. Plus they don't kill you on shipping like Rovers North. That and Justin delivers the customer service that I prefer. I don't spend thousands a month on parts but I get treated like I do by him and the staff at Lucky8.

We're having a heat wave today, it's 30 degrees out and sunny so the rear suspension is going on shortly. If that goes smooth than wiring up a radio and speakers along with the overhead console from TerraFirma is going on as well.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:48 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Triar, it's ironic that you complain about them misspelling things and have misspellings all over your response lol. Yeah his website is not good at all. That's why I say just call him.

I have to give them love, their prices on OEM parts is in a lot of cases 30-40% less than Rovers North or AB. Plus they don't kill you on shipping like Rovers North. That and Justin delivers the customer service that I prefer. I don't spend thousands a month on parts but I get treated like I do by him and the staff at Lucky8.

We're having a heat wave today, it's 30 degrees out and sunny so the rear suspension is going on shortly. If that goes smooth than wiring up a radio and speakers along with the overhead console from TerraFirma is going on as well.
True but then again Im no business owner and you can thank the wonderful spell correct for most of my types! haha Yeah I wish Justin would update the catalog section to make it more user friendly, change the layout and add pictures. Something kinda like what Ab has going on. But yeah its not the end of the world. I trust your judgement so I plan on giving him a call in another week or so for some parts Im gonna need. Ill tell him you recommended him! Maybe your next lucky8 order will be FREE!

Heat wave? Are you kidding me? Still have not finnished the radio stuff yet? Are we talking about a CB radio or mp3/cd player kinda thing? Dont hesitate to add more pics! Are you ever gonna get a paint job for the 110? Would look beautiful with updated paint and tinted windows!

Old 12-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Got the suspension done.

It was a tight fit backing her into the garage.

Name:  20131228_110312_zpsvh1zu9tp.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  89.8 KB

One side done. The fit was looking a little to tight for my liking. I had my wife come out before I moved it around to get to the other side to watch and make sure I didn't rip the garage door down.

Name:  20131228_121910_zpspk69zh0a.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  98.5 KB

And both sides done.

Name:  20131228_131730_zpsqos9hfrh.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  104.1 KB

It raised the rear end about 2" that wouldn't be surprising except I put on stock springs..

Then I moved on to the leaking seal on the fuel level sender.

Name:  20131228_143718_zps3ldu3j3m.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  135.1 KB

Then I washed it cleaned the garage up a bit and called it a night.

The radio wiring is for a Sony car radio. I currently have no tunes, or speakers in the truck and I use the speaker on my cell phone for music during my 2.5 hour commute each day.

The Lucky8 site does need some love, but it doesn't bother me to call him.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 12-28-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

It was freaking cold out so I cleaned a bit around the garage and watched football. Found a pair of tail light guards I had picked up used about a year ago laying on the shelf so I went outside and installed them real quick. Everytime I look at the back of the 110 I want to find one of the series Land Rover emblems that are metal and say 4wd station wagon. Just always seem to miss out on them.

I also filled the gas tank all the way up for the first time in a year. Anything above about half before and it leaked fuel hence the repair yesterday. Fingers crossed so far so good no fuel leaking anymore.

My wheel spacers should be here tomorrow, so I can get those on and be able to run center caps on my rims and have full lock to lock steering back. Tires are rubbing on the radius arms now.

Pic of the light guard installed.

Name:  20131229_175113_zpsgfmi9gql.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  20131229_175131_zpssx7gnzw9.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  83.0 KB

Crappy night cell phone pics I know....

Old 12-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

So my front wheel spacers showed up today, so out into the 7 degree afternoon I went and installed them. The 110 definitely has a wider more aggressive looking stance with the spacers.

I tried to take pics but it was getting dark and my phone said it was to cold for the flash to work...

So you just get pics of the spacers.

Name:  20131230_154547_zpsvkfhtemo.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  72.7 KB

and my ice tea that was out there with me, for 45 minutes....

Name:  20131230_163715_zpsk4mqhes2.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  94.9 KB

Last edited by ArmyRover; 12-30-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great thread. I just wish I had the time, space, money and skills to do the same thing!

Quick Reply: Worlds longest slowest 110 build thread