Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

1986 110 Land Rover problems......help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 110 Land Rover problems......help!!!

I purchased a 1986 110 a few months ago. It has a 2.5 deisel in it (strong motor). The vehicle is in very good condition considering its age. The problem I am having is starting in the mornings. I can't get it to start. The battery has been replaced, the glowplugs have been replaced, the fuel fiter has been replaced, the starter has been rebuilt, the alternator has been rebuilt. I am running out of options here. I am living in Albania and picked a rugged vehicle for the cruel roads I deal with each day. I can get it cranked by push starting it, if it will roll 10 feet it will crank right over. And if it starts the first time in the morning it will start all day long. So if yoiu have any advice for a missionary thats getting ready to give up, please help. Thank you in advance for any help that can be given.

David

[IMG]local://upfiles/4334/DC9265A27E784A8387DE0EDDB04AAB4F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-07-2006, 04:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: 1986 110 Land Rover problems......help!!!

I was really hoping that someone would have had a suggestion by now. I'm leaning toward bad windings on the starter and not turning fast enough on the mornings when its cold. But once the windings get warm and expand it does just fine. What do you think? They want $375. for a new starter at The Land Rover Shop in Tirana. So I don't want to buy one if this I am way out in my thinking. So, once again, what do you think?

David

Old 11-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

David, how about a block heater if it doesn't like the cold/
Have to tried starter fluid to see if that will fire her up?
Mike

Old 11-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi Mike,

I would really like to put a block heater on it. Just one problem, we don't have electricity in the winter. I have tried starting fluid, but even that does not help. One thing I tried tonight is to replace the negative battery cable with a new one and re-routing it directly to the block. I will know if that did the trick tomorrow morning. It's a super challenge living in Albania. So if you can live without power, and without water alot of the time you would do well here. A good Rover Mechanic would be nice to find without having to drive 120km. A drive that takes over two hours. I'll keep you posted on what happens. Anything else you can think of that does not require power let me know.

David

Old 11-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Three Wheeling

I'm back again. OK, the battery cables didn't do the trick. I'm still leaning toward a bad starter. Just an update on my woes.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the old tricks from us "old timers" to either get another couple of starts out of a weak starter ---or maybe one last gasp before it expires--- is to have a person turning the key while you tap on the starter housing with a hammer. If this works for you, then you know it is time to pull it and have it re-built. No matter what you do with cabling in an attempt to get more current to the starter ---will work if the unit itself is toast.

regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 12-07-2006, 12:22 AM
4wd Low

If it is cold in albania, and if the fender is a deisel, you may need an alpine mix of fuel, as it may be sluding up a bit.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Drifting

It is not likely you need a starter, it is possible, but how knows for sure?The trouble is more likely the cold.Diesel engines need friction and compression to start, if it is cold, and your engine is a bit worn you are pushing your luck. That is the sad facts. I run diesels in north Ontario Canada all the time, but they are either running or plugged into the main electric.Diesel will congeal at about 30 below and will not start at all!!. There are somethings you can do that might help.Synthetic motor oil,very good battery,and as a last resort you can but up to 10% gas.(petrol)in the diesel.It is also very important that ALL your glow plugs work, If just one is not working the Rover will not start in the cold. The good news is it is easy to check them, all you need it a test light. Connect the test to the power side of your battery, and disconnect the wire going to each glow plug, and put the point of the tester on the top of the plug, if it lights the plug is okay.
I hope this is helpful
Dennis.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:48 AM
Three Wheeling

Old 01-13-2007, 06:11 AM
Three Wheeling

It's fixed! You are gonna love this fix. There are three types of diesel fuel in Albania. The first and most expensive at $5.00 bucks a gallon is Euro blend. The next comes in at just under the same price is Greek blend. And the final is an Albanian blend that come in at about $4.50 a gallon. Did I mention that the Albanian blend is also the poorest fuel you could ever put into a vehicle? Now it took me quite awhile to figure this out. So I decided to switch to the Euro blend and the problem disappeared. So lesson learned, if you come to Albania don't use the cheap stuff. It will cause you many headaches.

Thanks for all the advice and help. I look forward to reading the post on this fourm each week.

David