Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

2.5D timing belt replacement question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 11:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2.5D timing belt replacement question.

Hello. I have a question related to replacing the timing belt on a 2.5D. I’ve read the manual AND searched the forum, so… Can anyone explain WHY lining up the flywheel timing is that important IF aligning the various timing marks after removing the timing cover does the same thing? This is especially true if verified by looking into the valve cover to verify the valve position…? It’s almost as if the manual assumes other work will occur so just line up the flywheel as a preliminary? Ideas? My balancer, pulley, or crank have no marks on them so… that’s out too. After 30+ years I don’t find that unusual… few of these are “bespoke” at this point but may be made up of 2-3 engines or parts of them. This particular engine used to be a 2.5TD from a 1989 Italian market 90 but is now turbo-less and in a Santana Ligero here in the US, for instance. I had no room in the bay for the turbo, so…
Anyway, why can’t the various timing marks be lined up, the valve position verified, and the belt replaced? Appreciate the clarification as my engine bay is cramp and aligning the timing marks at the flywheel will involve a mirror, a flashlight, and a 70lb Romanian gymnast.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:53 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Statueman
Hello. I have a question related to replacing the timing belt on a 2.5D. I’ve read the manual AND searched the forum, so… Can anyone explain WHY lining up the flywheel timing is that important IF aligning the various timing marks after removing the timing cover does the same thing? This is especially true if verified by looking into the valve cover to verify the valve position…? It’s almost as if the manual assumes other work will occur so just line up the flywheel as a preliminary? Ideas? My balancer, pulley, or crank have no marks on them so… that’s out too. After 30+ years I don’t find that unusual… few of these are “bespoke” at this point but may be made up of 2-3 engines or parts of them. This particular engine used to be a 2.5TD from a 1989 Italian market 90 but is now turbo-less and in a Santana Ligero here in the US, for instance. I had no room in the bay for the turbo, so…
Anyway, why can’t the various timing marks be lined up, the valve position verified, and the belt replaced? Appreciate the clarification as my engine bay is cramp and aligning the timing marks at the flywheel will involve a mirror, a flashlight, and a 70lb Romanian gymnast.

I think the point of locking the flywheel is to prevent the crank moving from compression in the cylinders. It is a positive way to do it, but the flywheel and the crank pulley should agree with each other.

I’m saying this from the perspective of never having done one, about to tackle my first.

where in TN are you?

Old 12-07-2021, 09:14 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 2.5D timing belt replacement question

Originally Posted by Matt3140
I think the point of locking the flywheel is to prevent the crank moving from compression in the cylinders. It is a positive way to do it, but the flywheel and the crank pulley should agree with each other.

I’m saying this from the perspective of never having done one, about to tackle my first.

where in TN are you?
​​​​​
Matt

I appreciate the reply.

I finished it months ago. I simply aligned everything and started in. Oops, as luck would have it I inadvertently bumped the distro pump. #@#$#@! I simply disengaged everything and turned it the appropriate revolution and pressed on. It started right up afterwards and, other than a squeaky power brake pump (from swapping radiators and replacing the viscous clutch fan which changed the pulleys, yada, yada) is fine. The odds of moving the crank, imho, is remote.
Anyway, it’s been on the road off and on since without issue. It’s actually more dependable than it’s ever been (knock on wood).

I’m an hour NE of Knoxville. There are NO LR mechanics anywhere around that I’m aware of and even the local LR dealer only works on 90s Defenders and newer. They wouldn’t touch my Ligero. 😀

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (12-08-2021)