Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

5th Gear vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 12:32 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th Gear vibration

Hi
In one of my earlier posts i mentioned that i am in the process of restoring/ replacing/ fixing and servicing my defender. Most of the undercarriage has been done with suspension replacement, bushes. bolts etc etc. Yesterday taking teh Defender on the highway i picked up a vibration i haven't noticed before. Picking up speed up to 80 to 90km/h in fourth gear all is good. power delivery is good and everything is smooth.
Then i change to 5th. I start getting the vibration, it sounds like a vibration at high speed obviously, but it almost feels like there is no more power as well. Vehicle is stable and handling is fine when the vibration is there.
Do you have any advice on what it could be or where to start looking for this vibration. I did not push the defender past that point to see if it goes away as i am scared that i might break something unnecessarily. So many things going through my minds on what the issue could be - Drive shaft, the 5th gear in the gearbox, maybe the fuel system not delivering enough diesel. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated?
Thomas

Old 03-01-2021, 05:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

When you made suspension changes, did you stay with original height?

Did the vehicles sit for an extended period of time, while making repairs? If so, a u-joint could have been marginal and froze up during the down-time. Try greasing joints and see if they take grease easily and completely, grease exposing itself fron each cap.

If it happens only in 5th, try pushing it a little harder/faster in 4th (until you reach the speed you'd normally be in 5th) and see if it is speed related, or shift into 5th earlier, even at lower speed and see if vibration appears.

If it's fuel related, then it should show similar vibrations at higher speeds in 4th.

Last edited by The Deputy; 03-01-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:35 PM
6th Gear

Thank you for the reply.
The suspension i put in is stock standard (Went back as most driving will be done on-road). I think the previous set up had a slight lift so it has come down an Inch or so. It has been standing for a bit so i will try the greasing. That was next on the list with oil changes on diffs, gearbox etc. Ill keep you posted on the other tests you suggested.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

My 110 sat for an extended period, while swapping engines. I'd just been on a off-road/camping trip beforehand, some pretty huge mudholes. Finished the swap and immediately nad a vibration on first test drive. I'd done some suspension work also and motor mounts while installing engine...so l thought it was related to these areas. Eventually greased the u joints, which didn't want to take grease at all, but after many attempts...they came around to my way of thinking...all except one (there always has to be that one...lol). Vibration changed each time l greased them, until the majority took grease normally, grease coming out of each cup. I'll eventually change them, just haven't had the time or desire lately.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:43 AM
6th Gear

Perfect thank you. ill definitely give it a go. Symptoms and run up to the issue is almost exactly the same. Just shows you. Dont save them, drive them :-)