Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Annoying Squeek in Defender Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:14 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Squeek in Defender Dashboard

Hi ,

I own a 2006 defender 90XS, and she has just developed an annoying squeek in the dash.

I have tried everything to rectifiy this problem, but it seems to be inside the dash. Its nothing to do with the operation of the fan, or the AC, so it seems internal.

Should i take the dash apart and then risk introducing further squeeks, or should i just leave it.

By the way, i know these vehicles makes noises, and i could live with it, but it just annoys me.

Has anyone else had a sqeeking sound in this location? It takes about 15 mins before this noise starts, but once it begins it doesnt stop.

Any ideas what it can be? Holding or pressing the dash has no effect.

Thanks,
Andy

Old 07-18-2007, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Annoying Squeek in Defender Dashboard

Hi Andy,
I bought a 2004 90 TD5 that developed an incredibly annoying high pitched sqeek that sounded like it was coming from the dash. Despite completely disasembling the dash (bit of a job) i could not locate it. Even my local landrover dealer could notfind it. This had been going on for the last 9 months and was really spoiling what was other wise a wonderful vehicle. Ok I'll stop ranting now and get to the point, one day i started my 90 and it was sqeaking away, for some reason lets call it devine inspiration I pulled the bonnet release catch and like magic the sqeak stopped. With the bonnet pulled but still held by the little latch to stop it from flying up and smashing my windscreen I took it for a drive, still no sqeak. Ok so its very dangerousto bedriving around with your bonnet not completely secured so I got some WD40(oil) and put it on the hinges of the bonnet, all the latches at the front that secure it closed and also on the 2 little rubber bushings thatpress down when the bonnet is closed. Now with the bonnet completly secured it does not sqeak.I hope I explained thisok and that it solves your sqeaky Defender problem
Good Luck,
Robert

Old 07-31-2007, 11:05 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Annoying Squeek in Defender Dashboard

Mine seems to be coming from the nearside vent cap (on top of dash below windscreen) and only occurs at certain speeds / revs. Stops if I press down on it.

I'll probably buy some of those fancy alloy bits to replace the cheap plastic ones.

Cheers,

Steve