Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Considering a Defender, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Considering a Defender, worth it?

If you want one from UK speak to Rob at www.planetlandrover.co.uk He is shipping Landys to the USA all of the time.
Defenders are basically 90/110's which started life in 1983 they have permanent 4WD and coil springs. From 1948 to 1983 they are called Series Landrovers, they have leaf springs and part-time 4WD. I have a 1981 Series III It's a proper landrover and I love it. You could have one delivered to the East coast from about $6000.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: trw

can anyone tell me how much it would cost to import a Defender from Britain? I'm looking at buying one older then the required 25 year mark, which would make it atleast an 81' year model, which judging by what I've seen (early 90s prices anyway), is very affordable, so much so I could trade my Jeep in on it providing importing fees wouldn't be TOO bad.

Were defenders even in existance in 1981?
Is that '25 years old or older' or 'built before 1981' ? What I mean is, will that mean a 1982 landrover will be legal if imported next year or will it still mean built before 1981 next year?

As Spydie says - defenders are all post 1983 with the best (imvho) of them being post 1990/1991 when the first of the Tdi models hit the market. The earlier TD models have a reputation over here for being a little weak in the engine dept. No such complaints with the 200 and 300 Tdi models.

Out of interest - is it emissions thats the problem or the lack of crash testing data for importing landies to the US?

Cheers,

Adam.
1993 Defender 90 CSW 200 Tdi.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:02 AM
trw
Overlanding

It's a 25 year old requirement, then when a vehicle hits 25 years old, it can be imported into the U.S., after a vehicle hits 25 years old here in the U.S., it no longer is required to have an annual inspection, so as far as Emmisions, safety etc... regulations go, they would be moot for a 25+year old vehicle here.

because of the 25 year old requirement, the only way to bring in a Defender is to pinch a VIN off another vehicle, but if you get caught doing this, you will get into big big trouble.

however, Im just spouting my findings that I recovered through research, so correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.....

but for now, (that is until Defenders get over 25 years old) a Series(III, II, I) are the only legal Defender - style Landrovers that can be imported into the U.S.

to boot, I saw a Camel Trophy Defender110 sell for $60,000 USD not long ago (EEEK!)

Old 12-04-2006, 05:14 AM
Three Wheeling

Your question on wading, they can go as deep as the engine air intake, so if you fit a snorkel you'll probably drown before the Landy will stop running, Diesels are best for wading. The bell housing has a wading plug that needs to be fitted before you go swimming. Plus the axles and gearbox have breathers, there is a breather kit which attatches tubes to these which can then be run up inside the snorkel, so you don't get water in the bits.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:35 PM
4wd Low

Before we get too carried away on the defenders wading ability, we need to take into consideration the age of the vehicle. Pre 99/00, they will not have an ECU, and so will run submerged with a snorkel without too much trouble. I have seen them cross rivers here in Australia, where only the top of the gear stick was poking up, and they went through no trouble. The guy had to let the door open to let water in as it started to float a bit.

I have a 99 xTreme with the TD5 engine (which came in 99/00) which has an ECU, located right under the driver’s seat. This box under the seat has holes in it, which WILL let in water above the recommended wading depth. The ECU is NOT properly protected from being submerged. For more than a “quick” deep crossing with a tarp and bow wave, you will either need to waterproof the ECU, or relocate it. Once that ECU is wet, you wont be going anywhere in a hurry.

It is not safe with any modern car to assume that it is bullet proof, even the defender.