Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Importation of a Defender 110

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 09:47 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importation of a Defender 110

Hello. I'm thinking of buying a brand new defender 110 but 110s are not sold in the U.S. at this moment. So, I'm thinking of importing one from England. Does anyone know how much all the cost of shipping will be? From England to NYC?

Old 08-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Drifting
Default RE: Importation of a Defender 110

Good luck with that.

Cost of shipping is the least of your problems. Have you considered the two other new vehicles that you're required to purchase and destroy to prove the 110 is still up to crash standards?

There's a place in Arizona that used to import them, don't know if they still do. Otherwise you're out of luck. Buy a Rangie or a Disco and be satisfied. Buy a 30 year old 109 and restore it and be very very satisfied. (Buy a 30 year old Pinzgauer and be out of your mind like me).

Why? Because the US wants to protect the auto industry.

Me, I'd order a CKD (Complete Knock Down, comes to you in shipping cartons) 110 if I could. But I can't.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The only Rover, or any other vehicle, that can be imported has to be at least 25 years old, per EPA and DOT.
Thare are a couple places up in Canada doing this for people, but it is expensive, hard and lengthy.
As already mentioned, buy something that is already in the states.
mike

Old 08-07-2007, 02:40 PM
3rd Gear

>The only Rover, or any other vehicle, that can be imported has to be at least 25 years old, per EPA and DOT.

Why does it have to be 25 years old? Is it because the 110 has a diesel engine?

Old 08-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Three Wheeling

The engine in it has never been tested by the EPA. The vehicle has also never been crash tested. So unless you want to crash a few of them to show that they are safe to drive in the US the NHTSA will never let the vehicle leave the ship and drive onto the docks. The penalty for driving a non-EPA certified new vehicle is upwards of $25,000/day. Gotta <3 bureaucracy.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:23 PM
3rd Gear

Some defenders have petro engines, not diesel engines. Would it be possible to import these ones?

Old 08-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Only if its 25 years old or more

Old 08-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually working on this now...
There's a bit of a loophole with regards to an "assembly of parts".
Legally, if its manufactured without ever having an engine or transmission installed (but EVERYTHING else is there) its not a vehicle. The gov't views it the same as if you got out a land rover catalog and ordered every single part of a defender 110 and had it shipped to you from outside the USA. The fact that they are assembled is irrelevant. Seperately buy a 200 or 300 series TDi and transmission, new/rebuilt/used/etc (doesnt matter) and install that. Now you have a kit car that greatly resembles a new D110. As I'm sure everything I just typed has been said before on this forum (I'm a noob) this is how the south african car the "Noble" is legally imported here (http://www.portfolio.com/culture-lif...r-Own-Supercar). Its a engine/tranny-less supercar that has a crate motor installed once its stateside. The motor/trans purchase must be a seperate transaction, so I've heard.

I'll post progress as it happens....

Old 08-21-2007, 04:47 AM
Three Wheeling

Greetings, Just a question? I have a 1986 110 that I would like to import to hte states in 4 years when it turns 25. What are the avenues do I need to go down to do this? Any help would be great, and what would the estimated cost be?

Thanks, David

Old 08-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: hillstrubl

I'm actually working on this now...
There's a bit of a loophole with regards to an "assembly of parts".
Legally, if its manufactured without ever having an engine or transmission installed (but EVERYTHING else is there) its not a vehicle. The gov't views it the same as if you got out a land rover catalog and ordered every single part of a defender 110 and had it shipped to you from outside the USA. The fact that they are assembled is irrelevant. Seperately buy a 200 or 300 series TDi and transmission, new/rebuilt/used/etc (doesnt matter) and install that. Now you have a kit car that greatly resembles a new D110. As I'm sure everything I just typed has been said before on this forum (I'm a noob) this is how the south african car the "Noble" is legally imported here (http://www.portfolio.com/culture-lif...r-Own-Supercar). Its a engine/tranny-less supercar that has a crate motor installed once its stateside. The motor/trans purchase must be a seperate transaction, so I've heard.

I'll post progress as it happens....

Read all the way to the bottom...
"But don’t even think about trying this with that luscious Ferrari you saw in Italy. If the car has a V.I.N. or is from a manufacturer who imports into the U.S. already, you’re out of luck—and out of speed."

Quick Reply: Importation of a Defender 110