Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Lack of Power when cold...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 06:38 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of Power when cold...

Hi Guys, new LR owner here going through his first winter...

The last few mornings when it has been -2 or so (here in Europe) and I have found a lack of power, to the point that I can't get over 100KPH in 5th and if I move to 6th I lose speed.

It feels like only the first 50% of the accelerator pedal has any power and the second half does nothing. It reminds me of a slipping clutch but its been 30 years since I last had one of those so my memory hazy.

After the vehicle has warmed up (say an hour running) then everything is back to normal. I may have turned it off and started it back up again during this period, in case L/R's are fixed like IT tells me to fix my desktop.

I did wonder if it was a waxy diesel issue of it I am only firing on half my spark plugs (which would be amazing for my Diesel injectors but you know what I mean)..

Any suggestions?

Old 02-08-2020, 02:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

You have to remember, at -2 your transfer case oil is thick and needs to warmup before it flows and moves freely amongst the gears. Same goes for axles. I've noticed the same thing ln my 1990, when it's single digits or below...it is a snail, when l first take off and until probably twenty miles or so.

Now, if it feels like a fueling issue, maybe add an additive. I do this all winter, and it helps with starting and power. But, as mentioned above...it still a slug when cold...but l feel it is mostly drivetrain resistance from thick oil. Granted, diesel take a bit of warming up...before they supply optimum power. So, couple that together with the thicker oil...and you can notice the diference in performance.